Pattaya Police bust Lithuanian 'ATM-scamming' gang

webfact

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the technology available today, they can't put some technology in ATM's to stop this? How is it possible?

Because the crooks and scammers are always one-step ahead of the technology.

Same goes for computer hackers. The anti-virus folks are adding new virus signatures to their application after they detect them (viruses) in use. Two-step authentication came after single step authentication was easily defeated. Stronger encryption (128 bit, 256 bit) and newer algorithms happen after weaker encryption methods were found lacking. And on and on.

The technology already exists. It's the chip if your card has a chip.

The problem is that certain backward countries (like the USA), can't be bothered to require chips on all cards, so ATMs are stuck using magnetic strips where magnetic strip reader/writers have been available to anyone for decades.

As soon as some countries stop putting a magnetic strip on their cards altogether, and require chip-only access, the scammers will have a far harder time of it (like the Be1st cards from Bangkok Bank - ultra-safe, but a pain in the A*** because you can only use them in Bangkok Bank ATMs).

This is because copying the chips rather than the magnetic strips, is significantly more complicated, if not impossible. (I'd actually say impossible, but the encryption on the chips may have the NSA back-door on it, so again, thank the Americans for making life possible for the crooks and scammers.)

With the technology available today, they can't put some technology in ATM's to stop this? How is it possible?

Because the crooks and scammers are always one-step ahead of the technology.

Same goes for computer hackers. The anti-virus folks are adding new virus signatures to their application after they detect them (viruses) in use. Two-step authentication came after single step authentication was easily defeated. Stronger encryption (128 bit, 256 bit) and newer algorithms happen after weaker encryption methods were found lacking. And on and on. 

The technology already exists. It's the chip if your card has a chip.

The problem is that certain backward countries (like the USA), can't be bothered to require chips on all cards, so ATMs are stuck using magnetic strips where magnetic strip reader/writers have been available to anyone for decades.

As soon as some countries stop putting a magnetic strip on their cards altogether, and require chip-only access, the scammers will have a far harder time of it (like the Be1st cards from Bangkok Bank - ultra-safe, but a pain in the A*** because you can only use them in Bangkok Bank ATMs).

This is because copying the chips rather than the magnetic strips, is significantly more complicated, if not impossible. (I'd actually say impossible, but the encryption on the chips may have the NSA back-door on it, so again, thank the Americans for making life possible for the crooks and scammers.)

You seem focusing only on chips and magnetic strip. If you Google around with the word "atm cash trap", you will find a trick which chips and magnetic strips can do nothing

They could at least put CCTV cameras around every ATM machine, so the bib immediately know who to look for.

We don´t need an ATM machine outside of every shop or in every dark alley! Allow the shops to pay out extra cash on credit/debit cards on any purchase (like up to THB 1,000). Gather the ATM machines from different banks in safe rooms built of concrete and armored glass (like in the movie ATM) and keep the suspects locked inside the room, until the local bib shows up and check, if they are in possession of any illegal equipment or stolen credit cards. A valid credit or debit card should be used to access the rooms. The rooms could be placed in connection to 7 eleven shops, which are open 24 hours and widely spread all over Thailand.

Not really sure what your point is...all ATMs already have small cameras in them (ever notice that mirror thingy...it's not for ladies to touch up their makeup you know). As for the standalone ATMs everywhere, I agree these should be avoided as its easier for criminals to attach card readers to them. It's best practice to only use ATMs in or adjacent to bank branches or busy locations like inside shopping centers or supermarkets.

The tiny mirror maybe it's not for the ladys to touch up ther make-up but it is possible the same lady's are thinking it is for to keep the ghosts outside. ;-))

The Lithuanian are coming now to Thailand because in Europe they don't make so much chance anymore all the police there know there tricks already.

Not just the ATM to be careful with. In the States,most of the credit

cards: MC,V,AX,Debit are all WiFi set. These are the cards you just

tap on the machine to charge, no pin or number necessary to verify the

charge...all done by WiFi and chip in card. You MUST keep these cards

in a protected part of your wallet or purse. I keep mine in a plastic

holder wrapped in aluminum foil. These East Block SCUMBAGA and OTHER

crooks have a device that can "read" your number and pin in your wallet

or purse if not protected. I read about this in "Time" two years ago, I

have protected my cards ever since....So far, so good !!!

These cards are very popular with fast food restaurants in the States, they

only take two seconds to verify the charge. These Scumbags can "read"

your information standind next to you in the mall.!!!

I only use the ATMs outside the bank inside Central and Big C Extra and I only leave a small amount in my debit card at any one time and top it up from another account as needed.

That way my exposure is always only a couple of hundred bucks max.

You cant be too careful in Pattaya.

I know quite a few Thais that have money ripped from their accounts although I think they were inside jobs ie bank employees not necessarily skimmers as they had the text service for withdrawls and they never got any text when the money disppeared. Of course the bank didnt return the money. Very small chance of getting anything back from Thai banks.

The major part of the cards which get copied comes from western countrys. At least those which used from foreigner gangs. And the most of them are credit cards. No debit cards. Only a little few victims are Thais.

They could at least put CCTV cameras around every ATM machine, so the bib immediately know who to look for.

We don´t need an ATM machine outside of every shop or in every dark alley! Allow the shops to pay out extra cash on credit/debit cards on any purchase (like up to THB 1,000). Gather the ATM machines from different banks in safe rooms built of concrete and armored glass (like in the movie ATM) and keep the suspects locked inside the room, until the local bib shows up and check, if they are in possession of any illegal equipment or stolen credit cards. A valid credit or debit card should be used to access the rooms. The rooms could be placed in connection to 7 eleven shops, which are open 24 hours and widely spread all over Thailand.

Not really sure what your point is...all ATMs already have small cameras in them (ever notice that mirror thingy...it's not for ladies to touch up their makeup you know). As for the standalone ATMs everywhere, I agree these should be avoided as its easier for criminals to attach card readers to them. It's best practice to only use ATMs in or adjacent to bank branches or busy locations like inside shopping centers or supermarkets.

The tiny mirror maybe it's not for the ladys to touch up ther make-up but it is possible the same lady's are thinking it is for to keep the ghosts outside. ;-))

The Lithuanian are coming now to Thailand because in Europe they don't make so much chance anymore all the police there know there tricks already.

Britain is part of Europe and these things are still being reported regularly, France too (also see Italy mentioned in another post). If the police have indeed learnt all the Lithuanian tricks as you say, it makes no difference; the Romanians, Bulgarians and others, including our own thieving bar stewards, are still busy stealing.

Not just the ATM to be careful with. In the States,most of the credit

cards: MC,V,AX,Debit are all WiFi set. These are the cards you just

tap on the machine to charge, no pin or number necessary to verify the

charge...all done by WiFi and chip in card. You MUST keep these cards

in a protected part of your wallet or purse. I keep mine in a plastic

holder wrapped in aluminum foil. These East Block SCUMBAGA and OTHER

crooks have a device that can "read" your number and pin in your wallet

or purse if not protected. I read about this in "Time" two years ago, I

have protected my cards ever since....So far, so good !!!

These cards are very popular with fast food restaurants in the States, they

only take two seconds to verify the charge. These Scumbags can "read"

your information standind next to you in the mall.!!!

I destroy and smash any of the "key cards" or quick swipe cards my bank tries to send me. No wifi for me. Gosh, even accidental purchases never mind criminal ones seem possible. Same for passport information. My latest USA passport has that wifi read capability and hate that. I am sure some of the wrong people are taking advantage of passport information. I need to wrap mine up next time I travel with it.

Every few days its ATM same same these thieving must think its easy to get money in Thailand seems to be a never ending string of them or is it the same few returning over and over again.

Edited by Rimmer
Profane