What the hell is the matter with people?

loong

This morning, my 8 year old stepdaughter went to her cousin's house.

Later, I went looking for her and couldn't find her. Her Grandfather had no idea where she was, and he spends most of his time at her cousins house in the garden.

I was frantic, searching for her and luckily a lady who lives on the outskirts of the village remembered seeing her go out with her cousin and uncle.

This calmed me down a bit as I now knew that she was with her uncle. A phone call confirmed that he had taken her and his son to work with him.

He is a good man and I know that she is safe in his care, but it really makes me angry that he did not even think it necessary to come and tell me that he will take my daughter to work with him!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To many Thais you wouldnt even be considered "family", whereas the Uncle is and why would anyone report to you ? I know this as I was in the same situation, 8 years ago none of my now family could speak Engkish and I spoke little Thai, no one in the family has ever telephoned me, only the wife, everything goes through her, its not a deliberate bypass its just easier for them to communicate that way.

Although I am far from fluent, I do speak Thai. Communication is not a problem.

But I do understand what you are saying. I am an outsider, and do not need to be considered

Maybe, maybe not. Try to see it this way:

You sent your stepdaughter to her uncle and cousin. When you checked up for her, she was still in the due care of her uncle and cousin. Maybe the just did not think about telling ANYbody that they go out, because they did not expect you to show up and check for her...

but it seems that your wife also was not informed that your uncled decided to take the two kids with him... would that not qualify your wife also as "not needing to be considered"?

next time, tell your stepdaughter that if their is a change of plan / location that she either calls you or she insists that your relatives call you... problem solved without a need to get a heart attack...

My wife was not informed because they knew that she would be back home before my wife finished work.

I have now made it clear to my stepdaughter and other family members that if they take my daughter out anywhere, they will clear it with me first.

This should not be necessary!

In before some self righteous farang says all thais don't care about you and ignore the fact that ppl from their countries do the same thing too.

I can only speak for the UK and i can tell you that nobody would take a child out somewhere without informing and getting permission from the parent or guardian. To do so would be considered as kidnapping!

Please give examples of the countries that people take children out without informing the parents or guardian where it would be considered normal or acceptable.

In Thailand for one.

The Uncle is considered as close family and therefore the rest of family view the child being with her Uncle as not a problem. Also keep in mind this is not the UK, so get used to it.

What you seem to have missed is that the Uncle did not inform ANY family member that he was taking her out

In before some self righteous farang says all thais don't care about you and ignore the fact that ppl from their countries do the same thing too.

I can only speak for the UK and i can tell you that nobody would take a child out somewhere without informing and getting permission from the parent or guardian. To do so would be considered as kidnapping!

Please give examples of the countries that people take children out without informing the parents or guardian where it would be considered normal or acceptable.

In Thailand for one.

The Uncle is considered as close family and therefore the rest of family view the child being with her Uncle as not a problem. Also keep in mind this is not the UK, so get used to it.

What you seem to have missed is that the Uncle did not inform ANY family member that he was taking her out

Details, details. Of significance for you. Not for him. Communication !

• Like 1

In Thailand for one.

Get used to what?<deleted> to TIT .I hope you don't have kids !

• Like 2

The uncle is a family member and thus is considered a guardian in fact they are related closer compared to the likes of you.

It was just an oversight on the part of the uncle and you can teach your step daughter to inform you to do so in future. Sometimes ppl forget and as for the UK well would you actually consider a relative or friend as kidnapping your child or do you mean to tell me you have grounds to report it as a kidnapping? The fact of the matter is you can always call the police in the UK to tell them your child wasn't actually kidnapped and it was just someone else that took her/him out and the police will just let the matter rest. Sure they have ppl calling them about a mistaken kidnapping before.

It is all to do with boundaries. Let everyone know what they are then you can all be happy families.

It took my inlaws about 10 minutes to find the boundaries for my son. We took him to a local market when he was about 6 months old and a meat seller touched his face. Raw meat on to my sons face did not sit well with me. I took my son off auntie and went straight back to the house. In fact it became a joke that if anyone wanted to even touch him, they should wash their hands first. :-)

• Like 1

The Grand Father also considered it wrong to take my daughter without informing me.

Nothing to do with communication

If this is 1st time it happened i think you would not started this thread. Daughter lives under your roof and you are responsible. You expected apparantly something from somebody who did not think same as you. Empathy ! So to prevent this happening you need to communicate to set your rules.

In Thailand for one.

Get used to what?<deleted> to TIT .I hope you don't have kids !

OMG: mad mary, the all swearing, venom spitting vixen of Thai visa has returned from the Crusades.

I did have kids once, but their Uncle took them abroad 12 years ago. Never seen them since.

• Like 2

The Grand Father also considered it wrong to take my daughter without informing me.

Nothing to do with communication

If this is 1st time it happened i think you would not started this thread. Daughter lives under your roof and you are responsible. You expected apparantly something from somebody who did not think same as you. Empathy ! So to prevent this happening you need to communicate to set your rules.

This is the first time that it has happened.

To be honest, it never occurred to me that I should have to tell people that they should inform me if they decide to take her out for the day.

You sent your stepdaughter to her biological uncle and he decided to take her out with his son and you call it'Kidnapping'? Probably the little girl may be considering herself much much closer to her biological uncle than to a strange farang.

I am not a strange farang, I have been her Father and main carer for the last 6.5 years. Biological or not, she considers me to be her Father.

• Like 2

Now you know. Read again what i wrote above. Unfortunately you need to do that. This as it seems you care about the little girl. Different cultures, different way of doing things. In your house you must apply your rules. At least to what you consider as important.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Heaven forbid that any of those self-righteous Farang should routinely refer to their TV colleagues as whoremongers and cheap charlie barflies. ;)

I am not a strange farang, I have been her Father and main carer for the last 6.5 years. Biological or not, she considers me to be her Father.

What she and you consider is not relevant in any country.

I suspect the only legal connection you have, is you are the guy sleeping with her mother.

Being legally married to her mother counts for nothing.

Unless you went down some legal route to become adopted parent or guardian, your official status with her is zero.

Same as it would be in the UK, USA, Australia or anywhere else.

Always weirds me out a bit, guys who sleep with a woman (in any country) then begin to imagine they have some property rights over that woman's children.

Edited by FiftyTwo

What she and you consider is not relevant in any country.

I suspect the only legal connection you have, is you are the guy sleeping with her mother.

Being legally married to her mother counts for nothing.

Unless you went down some legal route to become adopted parent or guardian, your official status with her is zero.

Same as it would be in the UK, USA, Australia or anywhere else.

Always weirds me out a bit, guys who sleep with a woman (in any country) then begin to imagine they have some property rights over that woman's children.

Are you OK ? I bet the girls uncle never thought that, because OP was not the legal guradian of the child, he did not need to inform him ! Very weird statement you make.