"Time Share" 50% Pattaya & 50% Where?

moonseeker

Would love to get some feedback from people who are more seasoned travelers and know the world better than I do. After 20 years here in Pattaya I would love to find a second "home" somewhere else. Preferably not Thailand.

Looking for clean sea for swimming & fishing, decent & interesting culture, preferably with great music (Brasil? Africa?), internet & decent medical services etc. & affordable for my 6'000$/mth. budget. I hope for a positive and interesting discussion. Thank you. MS>

For me the Philippines ticks all those boxes, though some might disagree about "decent" medical services.

And it is nearly as different to Thailand as Africa or Brasil or the US are, in spite of being only a short flight away and having a very similar climate to here.

• Like 1

We have had this discussion several times. And it is an interesting one. There was a long running thread in the travel forum, but it was oriented towards cheap places. You have a budget that would allow living pretty much anywhere you want. Lucky you!

I think this would be good over in the travel forum. If you want, I can move this topic over there.

We are in about the same situation. Only been here 4 years, but looking for alternatives...in the next 3 to 5 years. Somewhere with a clean sea and beach would be nice.

I didn't like the PI. Food isn't very good and got tired of seeing armed security guards. Beautiful beaches though!

Brazil has some fantastic beaches. Absolutely beautiful. Security is an issue, a big one. My cousin has been in Sao Paulo for 10 years. The stories he tells. Crazy.

Curacao is indeed beautiful, but don't think there is much to do...other than diving, which is incredible.

We are in the Czech Republic right now. What a beautiful country, and fantastic beer. But, got to 3 last night...so time to leave.

Hawaii meets your requirements, but it is quite expensive. Very clean and great fishing.

Central America has some options, but there are some issues to consider there also. We loved Argentina and Chile. Cold winters though. Great fishing in Patagonia.

Whew...too many options.

We have had this discussion several times. And it is an interesting one. There was a long running thread in the travel forum, but it was oriented towards cheap places. You have a budget that would allow living pretty much anywhere you want. Lucky you!

I think this would be good over in the travel forum. If you want, I can move this topic over there.

We are in about the same situation. Only been here 4 years, but looking for alternatives...in the next 3 to 5 years. Somewhere with a clean sea and beach would be nice.

I didn't like the PI. Food isn't very good and got tired of seeing armed security guards. Beautiful beaches though!

Brazil has some fantastic beaches. Absolutely beautiful. Security is an issue, a big one. My cousin has been in Sao Paulo for 10 years. The stories he tells. Crazy.

Curacao is indeed beautiful, but don't think there is much to do...other than diving, which is incredible.

We are in the Czech Republic right now. What a beautiful country, and fantastic beer. But, got to 3 last night...so time to leave.

Hawaii meets your requirements, but it is quite expensive. Very clean and great fishing.

Central America has some options, but there are some issues to consider there also. We loved Argentina and Chile. Cold winters though. Great fishing in Patagonia.

Whew...too many options.

Thank you for the positive feedback. Yes, you are right, Travel-Forum might be a better platform. Thank you very much and enjoy your travels. MS>

You move to another country every time you have 3 beers? Seems a bit drastic. I make do with just going to the toilet.

Should have been more specific! It is 3 degrees. Cold!!

And with such great beer, I never stop at 3. Was at a monastery who has been brewing beer for almost 500 years. Fantastic unfiltered beer. Drawn right from the source. 90 Baht for 500ml. Heaven.

Brazil sounds the most suitable place. It has everything you want, especially Brazilian music.

I loved being taught how to samba by the local gals there. My wife loved being taught to dance by the handsome guys in Costa Rica. Oh well....

Both places are wonderful. Both bet a bit chilly during their respective winters. Montevideo is a beautiful city, has some great condos down a long stretch of beach. And fantastic coastline going north, wonderful ranches in the interior. Not a cheap country, but we loved it.

Haven't spent much time in S. Italy. But we love that country. Quite expensive last time we were on the Amalfi Coast.

Surprised that nobody mentions French Polynesia (dozens of islands to choose from) of which Papeete is the best known.

Maybe because of the French influences, but the scenery is magnificent and not to mention the food.

Remember Paul Gauguin and the Belgian chansonnier Jacques Brel. They chose to spend their last days there.

Yermanee wai.gif

Curacao was mentioned a few times. We lived there for some time. Although its beautiful there is a lot of crime there.

Craig mentioned Prague which is one of my favorite places in Europe and we have lived there as well.

On your budget I would recommend the South of Europe. Perhaps one of the Greek islands such as Mykanos. Malta is also a nice place to live and everyone speaks English there.

Edited by Jimbo

Interesting comment re:Curacao. I've only been there for diving. A week there, a week on Aruba and a few weeks on Bonaire. Incredible diving.

I was very impressed with Prague, but it was 3 degrees when we left yesterday! And raining. But what a great city. And a great country.

I have considered the S. Greek islands. Don't they get pretty windy and cold in the winter? We were there in late May and it was OK. Then went to S. Turkey. The resort towns were dead, but the weather was pretty nice.