Students who opposed retreat to Lumpini Park draw further support

webfact

ANTI-GOVERNMENT DEMONSTRATION
Students who opposed retreat to Lumpini Park draw further support

Jeerapong Prasertpolkrung,
Attayuth Bootsripoom
The Nation

30217068-01_big.jpg

Anti-government protest at Urupong intersection is led by a splinter group of students drawing more public backing

BANGKOK: -- A SPRINTER group of the People's Army against the Thaksin Regime has drawn so much growing support from the public that the government is now considering whether to extend the Internal Security Act enforcement.

The splinter group is the Students and People's Network for Thailand Reform. It has been organising its rally at the Urupong Intersection since Thursday night when the People's Army agreed to move its protesters back to the Lumpini Park.

After the People's Army gave in to the ISA enforcement and retreated, some protesters became angry that their leaders broke a promise not disperse from the front of Government House. So, the sprinter group staged a rally at the intersection, which is next to but outside areas affected by the Security Act.

On the first day of the rally, the demonstrators numbered only a few hundred and were led by student activists of Ramkamhaeng University.

But that night small fire bombs and bags containing poison ivy were hurled at the protesters from the expressway, which put a media spotlight on the group. And more people started to join the rally, partly because the group has separated from the People's Army, which the public does not support.

Many people are unsure if the People's Army has an ulterior political motive. And because the Students and People's Network for Thailand Reform has a better image, more and more people have joined the rally.

The network is being closely monitored by officials. Speculation that the group may move its rally prompted police to invoke the ISA and close 14 roads around Government House.

Security agencies have assessed the situation and believe that leaders of the Urupong rally are student activists from the San Saeng Thong Party.

Former student activists have also gone to the site to provide advice on how to organise the rally. They included lawyer Nitithorn Lamluan, a coordinator of the Green Politics Group.

The group has attacked the government over the cost of living and falling crop prices. Their rally has also been joined by members of the middle-class and some supporters of political groups. Peace-keeping spokesman Police Maj General Piya Uthayo said yesterday the number of demonstrators at Urupong peaked at 1,100 on Sunday night.

A Government House security source said the Urupong group was one of two splinter groups from the People's Army. The source said after the People's Army agreed to disperse from Government House on Thursday, the group broke up into three. The first group of the People's Army retreated to Lumpini Park. It has about 150 to 200 demonstrators.

The second group is the Students and People's Network for Thailand Reform, led by Uthai Yodmanee, president of the Ramkhamhaeng Students Organisation. They are supported by Nitithorn, a leader of the yellow-shirt movement. The Democrat Party has used its Blue Sky satellite station as a mouthpiece for the Urupong group.

Students from some vocational schools joined the Urupong rally on the weekend and after school. Some office workers also joined the rally after office hours, and some demonstrators at Lumpini Park also went to the Urupong rally at night, so the number of people was over 1,000 at its peak. But most dispersed after 10pm.

The source said a third group was led by Thaikorn Polsuwan. It has only about 30 followers. Thaikorn's group has been camping at Sanam Luang.

"Intelligence agencies have not found any indication that the three groups will reunite outside Government House and there is no sign that any of the three groups will draw more supporters. But the situation is uncertain - whether the three groups have really broken up, or whether they have just divided responsibilities... [so] police decided to close roads to prevent them from besieging the Government House."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-15

I think Banharn should get his stumpy behind down to Lumpini and offer his vast expertise on reconciliation to get the various factions together.

Once they have finished, they could then all hold hands together and sing a pretty ditty while gamboling round flower beds and promising undying love to each other and the future of Thailand.

The Nation could even take a few photographs.

So we've got 3 anti-government groups, numbering just over a thousand, a couple of hundred, and thirty.

Why is this a news story?

Because they suppress opposition very heavy-handed when PTP is in office; but another party in office sitting patient trying to manage violent protests, looting, mobs, riots, inactive police, mercenaries in black, and a city under siege. Absolute intimitation, hypocracy, and a real plot to run a dictatorship, with police very active unlike when there is a red communist rent a mob riot. Should be an awakening to the general public of the big picture, unless you prefer to be asleep and not take notice.

Edited by gemini81
  • Like 2

BANGKOK: -- A SPRINTER group of the People's Army against the Thaksin Regime has drawn so much growing support from the public that the government is now considering whether to extend the Internal Security Act enforcement.

Well, at least they will be able to run away from the police if and when necessary.

No , you've got it all wrong.

In the U.K. " A Sprinter'' is usually a small fast train unit serving local stations, it seems then that perhaps work may have already commenced on the new proposed upgrade of Thailand's rail network starting at it seems the Urapong intersection.

The rice bartering must have gone through !!!

Help me here... Does the Mayor of Bangkok have a say about what in what happens in Bangkok? I understand that the government (on a Federal level like the US) has the authority to supersede local authority, but I've never heard a comment from the governor regarding the ISAs issued by the government in Bangkok. I know that during the floods of 2011 he was at odds with the PM. What I'm asking is; where does the governor's power start and end?

Look he's only just got voted in a while ago. Doesn't want to upset the applecart with his potential voters/backers.

Wonder why the Nation didn't post a picture of a student? Couldn't be bothered to actually go down themselves and take a look I suppose.

You seriously expect that someone from The Nation goes there?

That is impossible because:

a) There is sun and they might get brown

B) There is no air-condition so they will feel hot

staying outside in the sun is something for labor but not for hi-so Nation staff.

• Like 2

So we've got 3 anti-government groups, numbering just over a thousand, a couple of hundred, and thirty.

Because they suppress opposition very heavy-handed when PTP is in office; but another party in office sitting patient trying to manage violent protests, looting, mobs, riots, inactive police, mercenaries in black, and a city under siege. Absolute intimitation, hypocracy, and a real plot to run a dictatorship, with police very active unlike when there is a red communist rent a mob riot. Should be an awakening to the general public of the big picture, unless you prefer to be asleep and not take notice.

Haven't noticed any dead people lying on the streets, are you sure you got the right government?

• Like 1

Whoa there - check your blood pressure! Once I get my head around a 'red communist rent a mob' supporting a capitalist dictator I might be able to follow the rest of your rant.

Pursuing corrupt politicians and successfully convicting them a la Thaksin is good for the country and no doubt Thaksin lovers are upset that this change form the normal impunity Thai politicians enjoy was applied to him instead of any number of other - possibly opposition - politicians. But when the police are finally being used as any developed country would use them, to discourage long term potentially disruptive demonstrations, this particular advancement is not welcomed by you.

You will probably admit your own bias in this matter, but you should take care not to get too carried away with your ire or else statements like the one relating to the 'communist rent a mob' will just make it impossible for most people to take you seriously.

• Like 1

Haven't noticed any dead people lying on the streets, are you sure you got the right government?

Haven't seen any looters, rioters, soldier killers, squaters, thugs, rogues....sure you got the right 'protestors'?

• Like 1

Whoa there - check your blood pressure! Once I get my head around a 'red communist rent a mob' supporting a capitalist dictator I might be able to follow the rest of your rant.

Pursuing corrupt politicians and successfully convicting them a la Thaksin is good for the country and no doubt Thaksin lovers are upset that this change form the normal impunity Thai politicians enjoy was applied to him instead of any number of other - possibly opposition - politicians. But when the police are finally being used as any developed country would use them, to discourage long term potentially disruptive demonstrations, this particular advancement is not welcomed by you.

You will probably admit your own bias in this matter, but you should take care not to get too carried away with your ire or else statements like the one relating to the 'communist rent a mob' will just make it impossible for most people to take you seriously.

It is up to you to take reality seriously or dismiss it. It is one sided as the police work for and support the PTP- the head tyrant was a police member. If you can't get your head around some simple points that sum up the entire ordeal, then I don't know how to tell you a spade is a spade, black is black, or anything obvious.

It doesn't matter if I don't get everyone's 'stamp of approval' when I post on here or not.

A Fox news afficianado I'd warrant