Mosquito Farm?

Lobo4819

During the recent wet months, the Ministry of Health carried out a relatively good educational campaign against dengue fever, trying to educate people to eliminate places where mosquitos can live and breed.

I noticed that in Chiang Mai, at the 700 year sports complex, workers have recently lined the perimeter of one of the larger ponds/lakes with used tires, stacking them three-high along the shore, and in the water, providing the mozzies a perfect place to breed. As there are fish in the pond, the natural course would have allowed the mosquitos and their larva to be eaten by the fish. Thanks to the forward-thinking of some mid-level bureaucrat and mental midget, we now have a mosquito farm.

Is there no irony or contradiction left unturned in the LOS?

Well I didnt realise tyres were a gooding breeding ground for the mozzies; and I wouldnt want you to call me a mental midget......so why would they be that?

Still the future may spawn a new species of mozzie; "the Pirelli P3 strain"

Well I didnt realise tyres were a gooding breeding ground for the mozzies; and I wouldnt want you to call me a mental midget......so why would they be that?

Still the future may spawn a new species of mozzie; "the Pirelli P3 strain"

Water very easily pools in tires left out and stagnant pools of water are a prime breeding ground for mosquitoes.

• Like 2

They are probally getting set up for the Car Races this weekend.

Oct 19th and 20th Toyota Night Racing.

I've seen the additional guard rails around the road, etc., but these tires are in the water stacked 3 high along the shore of the pond. If the drivers are Thai, though, it might not be such a stretch.

In Australian cities where there is or has been dengue fever, leaving tyres around is banned.

In some Asian cities where they have mosquito buster police, anyone with flowerpots with saucers underneath outdoors, on window sills outdoors, gets a stiff fine.

The clinics in my area have crried out education programs. I have pretty mush eliminated mosquitos around my house through careful management. Bt the other villagers? They have learned, they know, but they just ingore it all and choose to live with the mosquitos. I just cannot undertstand it.

The clinics in my area have crried out education programs. I have pretty mush eliminated mosquitos around my house through careful management. Bt the other villagers? They have learned, they know, but they just ingore it all and choose to live with the mosquitos. I just cannot undertstand it.

It's easy to understand...it's called 'Thainess' !

Seems criminal to stack those breeding grounds at 700.. Thailand has a 3 -fold increase in dengue over last year, with well over 100k reported cases-maybe twice as many unreported.

Similarly over 100 reported deaths.

I had it in February this year and it's no fun.

Went to Deck One by the river to celebrate my birthday in the evening as it has plate glass windows so you can enjoy the river without mozzies-I thought. But of course they have the lights blazing, the A/C off and the big doors to the terrace wide open. No mozzies outside -all inside! No other diners inside; wonder why?!

They are clearly aware of the problem (if not the solution) as they provide you with a huge can of mozzie killer if you complain enough.

• 4 weeks later...

Am afraid that like many aspect of Thainess its all down to lack of education and I am one of those statistics that caught the dreaded fever year which resulted in a stay in hospital.

No matter how careful you are we are all exposed to a serious risk of getting Dengue. Government policy talk but no action.

A previous comment about other Asian countries imposing stiff fines is correct and I read somewhere that here in the villages if a household breaks the dengue rules a red flag is put outside the house but if they are good boys they are given two chicken eggs as a reward.

Am afraid that like many aspect of Thainess its all down to lack of education and I am one of those statistics that caught the dreaded fever year which resulted in a stay in hospital.

No matter how careful you are we are all exposed to a serious risk of getting Dengue. Government policy talk but no action.

A previous comment about other Asian countries imposing stiff fines is correct and I read somewhere that here in the villages if a household breaks the dengue rules a red flag is put outside the house but if they are good boys they are given two chicken eggs as a reward.

Im glad they used a red flag, imagine if they had used a red light.... they would probably end up with more than a few chicken eggs (And likely to be fertilised ones at that!)

Ok I'll grab my hat and coat....facepalm.gif

• Like 1