Moving to CM. What to bring?

abroaddesire

My wife and I will be moving from the US to Chaing Mai for at least the year of 2014. We only intend to take what we can fit in to our allowed luggage allowance: 200lbs. plus one carry on apiece.

What are some things you recommend bringing? We're taking mostly practical things here, pots and pans and the like, with a few home comforts. Are there things you wish you had brought based on your experiences living in Chiang Mai? What kind of things can be easily and cheaply be repurchased when we get there?

I must say, as a long time lurker of these forums I'm excited to finally be in the stages of moving instead of just reading about it. Thanks for any advice and experiences you care to share.

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of high quality pots, pans etc here. Steel plated base if you use induction heating also available.

Power is entirely 220V, and 5 different plugs, some seem to be like the US type. TVs and electrical goods here, too heavy bring with you anyway. Mostly Japanese made, good quality. Suggest NOT bringing anything electrical as you'll need step down transformers.

Plenty of computing gear here.

If you're on any sort of medication, bring a good starting supply here, but most is obtainable. My GP keeps all the basics and dispenses 3 months supply at a time..

I've not had to look for clothes yet, after 2 years here, but I should imagine that western sizes might not be easy to obtain. You won't need too much in the way of winter gear. Imagine that you're moving to a southern state. I have a jacket somewhere if it does turn coolish.

Sugar-loaded food such as Cornflakes etc readily available. Good bread, oatmeal porridge, muesli in most supermarkets.

I believe there is an American or two in Chiang Mai, so I'm sure they'll have more suggestions for you.

As far as I know, no-one has yet produced a 'welcome to Chiang Mai for ex-pats' and we tend to use these pages for help.

If you are a runner, I recommend bringing your favorite brand/size of running shoes. I suspect it can be a bit tough to find your size here - especially if you are big footed like me.

We brought a couple of sets of silk sheets for the bed (they beat sleeping on cotton and seem to dry on the line in literally minutes), vitamins from Costco, a butter knife or two if you enjoy sandwiches, a couple of small throw rugs for the house so we don't need to use the ubiquitous old tee shirts. We brought a couple of sets of nicer quality silverwear.

To be comfortable in the heat I brought tech shirts (both short sleeve and tank top) (which I wear exclusively) that I purchased from REI. Also brought a couple of pair of high quality, technical hiking shorts with cargo pockets etc rather than the thicker material cargo shorts that are everywhere. I also found some light tech material shorts for wearing around the house. Cotton sucks in the heat and again the tech stuff does not show the sweat as bad and washes and dries very quickly. I also wore a pair of those long pants that unzip and turn into shorts on the plane (also purchased from REI) of the same tech material. They are a great option for funerals/weddings etc. REI also offers technical materialed collared shirts as well - again I only use when the occasion requires a bit more nicer clothing.

Last year, while here I had brought a cheaper pair of slip on sandals, but they did not have enough cushioning for me. This year I brought some high quality Burkenstock sandals, and am very glad I did.

Brought a bunch of cheap watches in a variety of colors and styles from one of the shopping channels for gifts - our female relatives love those. Brought a nicer Timex running watch for a male cousin.

A friend asked us to bring a couple of boxes of Alka Selzer cold medicine for her, which we did. She also wished she had asked for zip lock plastic bags for storing food in the freezer.

I brought my iPod for music and a small adapter that plugs into the TV or stereo so I can listen to my tunes. It is the classic iPod and holds thousands of songs. I am an all Apple guy and brought my MacBook Pro, unlocked iPhone 5 (which was easy to obtain a sim for and works great) and my iPad. I also brought an Apple TV so I can easily stream stuff from my MacBook or iPad to the TV. On the subject of technology, I never leave home without my Kindle Reader, which makes it easy for me to continue reading books.

I did bring a small unit that allows to plug in up to three USB plugs at a time to charge my electronics. It plugs into the wall and saves me from needing individual electrical cords from each unit. I have taped it to my desk right next to my wifi unit and it helps keep things neat and organized. In visiting electronics stores, I think this could be easily purchased here.

I do subscribe to the electronic versions of a couple of magazines and my hometown newspaper which I read on my iPad.

Last year a friend asked us to bring a pool cue - apparently they are of low quality here.

The OP mentioned electrical stuff. All my stuff is multi voltage - more and more seem to come that way - except for my hair clippers. In that I keep my hair short I have a pair that I just drag across my head while sitting on the front porch to shorten things up. I have a small voltage converter and it works just fine and only requires a couple of hours or so to charge my clippers.

I like an electric razor and the Remington unit I have been using for years is multi voltage so no problems there.

In that we are snow birds last year my wife brought a couple of favorite knick knacks for the house, and a couple more this year. I have a great multi voltage electric clock for the bedroom that I would like to bring, but so far we have been right on our weight limit, so will try again next year.

It probably goes without saying, but make sure that you have good contact info for financial accounts etc. I use Skype on those rare occasions when I must actually talk to a human back in the US. I had transferred money via Bangkok Bank several times prior to leaving the states so I was familiar with the process, any restrictions/limits on amounts etc. I had also been using auto transfer from our investment accounts to our checking accounts so knew that we could continue accomplishing that seamlessly, if needed.

We have our mail forwarded to our son, and also provided him with Power of Attorney for both of us, although he did not need to use it last year. If there is any mail that we must see, he scans and forwards it as a email attachment. Taxes, via TurboTax can be done easily enough while over here. You may want to nail down medical process issues before leaving the US. Also may want to bring over an extra set of eyeglasses, if that applies. They can be obtained here, but just another issue resolved before it occurs is nice in my mind.

That's it for now. Enjoy your visit.

Edited by SpokaneAl

Everything you need is here. Some things you may want are not. That depends on personal preferences. Bringing good footwear is a good idea. Run through the topic titles on this forum and you will find out most of what others want but can not find here. Bring less rather than more, 200 lbs sounds like a lot.

Not necessary to bring the wife.

Get a Schwab Bank Account and ATM Debit Card, Schwab refunds all ATM charges which isa nice otherwise $5+++ per transaction here.

• Like 1

I have to laugh at some of the suggestions. Come on, zip-lock brand bags, butter knives, cheap watches, ipod, pots and pans... This is not Siberia! I could buy every one of those items within 5 minutes of where I live.

Totally agree, but there ain't no Frito Lay Corn Chips any where in Chiang Mai...

Agreed, favorite packaged and canned foods should be on the list. Everything else can be found here. People should check to see if their medications are available in Thailand...

I was amused on another thread where one member brings butter with him in his suitcase!

Edited by elektrified

Good quality sheets and towels are very expensive here, yet king-size beds are the same size as in the U.S. and very common in furnished rentals. I wish I'd bought those items, rather than spending about 5 times what they cost in the U.S.

I have yet to find a good quality manual can opener. Heck, those are difficult to find in the U.S. too, but there still are some made-in-USA can openers available. Fortunately, we did bring a good quality wine bottle cork screw and champagne opener, although wine is so pricey here, we don't use those tools as often as we did in the U.S. Instead we've explored the many boxed wine options available.

Definitely underwear, especially women's bras. It's easy to order underpants and socks on-line, but a woman really needs to try on a bra before buying. Same with good quality shoes. Cheap ones abound, but they don't last long and can be very painful if you have any sort of foot problem. Hard to order on-line, too. You've got to try them on.

Vitamins and nutritional supplements are very expensive and almost impossible to ship into the country. Bring plenty, in addition to your prescription meds, of course. Actually, I found the prescription meds to be very available and cheaper than in the U.S., where I didn't have insurance for drugs. But, you may wish to post your prescription med list in the health forum to make sure everything is available here.

We did buy laptops in the U.S. just before coming here. They aren't any cheaper in Thailand and they come loaded with all sorts of malware, even if you request "Genuine Windows", etc. Computer power adaptors can sense and adjust for the difference in voltage -- no need to use an electrical adaptor.

Pots and pans are available, but good quality is very expensive. Actually, I find I cook with several small electrical appliance and don't use pots and pans very often. The average expat kitchen has a counter-top full of small appliances. The only time I miss not having a big oven is at Thanksgiving, but you can order home delivery of pre-cooked Butterball turkeys from Rim Ping grocery (after obtaining a bank loan to pay for it!)

I can't find canned lima beans and cream of celery or cream of oyster soup. Plenty of dried lima beans, fresh celery and even fresh oysters, so I've adjusted. But, this is getting really specific (can you tell that I'm starting to plan the big feast we have each year for Thanksgiving?)

• Go buy a new pair of keen waterproof sandals with the closed toe they will work for everything. If you do not listen to anything do this one thing they are about $ 90.00 and the best money spent
  • Dark shirts and shorts.
  • canned items are heavy but up to you
  • olive oil,
  • 1 bottle of wine or liquor.
  • A coffee press.
  • dry packaged soup or spaghetti or taco seasoning they are light
  • parmesan cheese wedges
  • unlocked cell phone that will accept a simm.
  • no hard luggage.
  • a good quality backpack the backpacks are cheap here but do not last.
  • good toothpaste is cheap in the usa but expensive in thailand
  • salami or peperoni packaged and dried like the kind you buy in a stick that is 2 lbs.
  • If you are going to ride a motorbike a good helmet not a must but it is for me
  • . A laptop with your restore disks.

I know some of these things sound crazy but this is my short list

Medication is a given

Setup all your account for online access and test them

These are some that I can think of.

• Like 1

If you are bringing your pet dogs/cats here and are used to buying quality pet foods and toys, then bring a bag of those as well. One of our suitcases was dedicated to the large bag of Blue Wilderness Salmon and various toys from PetSmart.

You will need to start mixing the food with the locally available stuffs. The selection of pet toys here is poor.

Do not bring anything that you stated. Unless you have restaurant quality pots and pans and knives. These are rare in Thailand but for the home cook that uses plastic handled teflon pans, everything is here.

As others have suggested

IF you have wide feet, Shoes, but most normal sized feet are accomodated.

Medicines that you are familiar with.

Chiang Mai is a pretty modern place and has access to almost everything that one would need. Anything else can be ordered and shipped. I wouldn't bother carrying anything other than clothes and immediate needs.

Perfumes or special care products, you might want to bring until you can source it out here.

• Like 1

Shoes and underwear are indeed good suggestions. I have yet to have found a really good pair of shoes here that fits or is comfortable, especially size 10.5. As far as underwear in concerned, even USA brands like Jockey sold here are made for the Asian frame. I have never found a pair of underwear here that fits. I usually wear 36 size waist but even size 40!!! Jockey underwear here, fits like a size 'M' in the USA. I end up buying on-line. But really, other than that and your favorite foods, you can get everything else here. Sure, one small bottle of deodorant here costs the same as a 3 pack I bought at Costco when I was in USA last but...

Some of the suggestions are mind boggling...olive oil??? a mobile telephone??? toothpaste??? It's hard to walk out the door and avoid 2 or 3 mobile telephone sellers everywhere you go.

If either you or your wife color your hair (and it's not colored black), then bring some do-it-yourself hairdye. I came with colored hair, but every time I visited a salon that was considered one of the best for foreigners, they insisted on making the hair darker and darker, not the light golden blonde I wanted. Plus, it was expensive to color my hair here professionally. I finally gave up, and went grey. This was after I tried to order haircolor on-line and discovered they wouldn't let it into the country -- too many dangerous chemicals apparently!

Same with nail polish -- it can't be shipped except by ground/ocean, but the airlines don't mind small quantities in your luggage. I always ask friends to bring nail color back, especially good base coat and top coat brands. There are nail salons galore that do a great job, but want them to use my own products, both for safety and for ease of touch-up at home.

Other than these items, I find the personal care products here to be great, actually superior to the U.S. After all the Thais bathe about three times daily, so they've got shampoo, soap, body lotions, etc all figured out.

As for olive oil -- there is a huge selection at Rim Ping grocery. I wouldn't bother.

As for clothing in larger sizes -- yes definitely bring from the U.S., especially the men's shorts. Unless your wife dresses very casually and insists on jeans, she'll probably enjoy having clothing custom-made here. That's what I do for everything but underwear. I dress much better than I normally did in the U.S. Even my husband's gotten into the swing of things and has his shirts custom-made -- dressy ones from a tailor and casual ones from my dressmaker. Good quality shorts are a problem, though.

Edited by NancyL

Perhaps the most valuable asset for me as an ex-pat living abroad is a Pack-And-Ship post office box account back in the States that will forward packages to me. There are many items that aren't available here and so many on-line companies won't ship outside the US, so having an address in the States that can forward packages, consolidate several packages if needed, and even remove tags and invoices from new items before shipping is a God-send. Find one that will ship via EMS rather than FedEx or DHL and you can avoid most Customs duties even on expensive goods. Saves a lot of the hassle and expense of mail-order shopping.

Dont sweat it -as other posters have said, everything you need is here.

You can easily get health supplements shipped in but then you pay shipping, so worth tucking a good supply of your favourites in a corner of your case

Folks tell me sheets and towels are worth bringing but I have never found local supplies a problem.

Look forward to your adventure-life here is good!smile.png

my 2 satang... we have friends moving here in Feb next year and my buddy's wife (thai) was thrilled that i reminded her of Costco size ziplocks, saran wrap, parchment paper and aluminium foil... yes, we all know these things exist here but price and quality is just not the same!...

my wife cooks a lot and these items are a must...

also, if you like mexican food, bring a LOT of dried chili pepper spices...those small 2-4 oz bags that cost 99cents... thais do NOT have dried chili powders that are not hot.. and those tasty mexican spices are the BEST.... and light and inexpensive...we find that we go thru about 30 small bags of spices a year...

mileage may vary

• Like 1

Just bring the wife and yourself,and a lot of money,

thats all you need, all I had when I arrived here was

what I was wearing,and pair trousers,couple shirts,

and underwear,and enough money to retire comfortably,

regards Worgeordie

That's about what I'm bringing just what in wearing and a small suitcase

Plus money

Charlie

Just bring the wife and yourself,and a lot of money,

thats all you need, all I had when I arrived here was

what I was wearing,and pair trousers,couple shirts,

and underwear,and enough money to retire comfortably,

regards Worgeordie

That's about what I'm bringing just what in wearing and a small suitcase

Plus money

Charlie

Arriving middle of November

Really looking forward to ot

Lived here 5 years now, from Canada. The only thing I want/need that I cannot find here is a couple specialty vitamins: "Vision Support ll" for aging eyes, a multi-vitamin with no copper, zinc acetate capsules. Oh yes, underwear purchased here is so tight my voice has gone up one octave, and, even tho I only wear shorts at home I cannot find one pair here I like.

My gf removes the support wires out of her bras because they cut right into her skin, seems all bras are "wired". Also bras here are thick/quilted (cannot show the nipple???) must be hot to wear.

As someone mentioned, Rimping stores http://rimping.com/ carry a lot of specialty products and are adding many new stores. Chiang Mai offers pretty much everything I need or want (except Cdn cheddar), but I no longer miss cheddar and local cheese is pretty good once you shop around.

I do not see the wisdome of bringing any electronics. 90%+ are made here in Asia and exported world wide. A step-down transfomer is great, until you "forget" and plug directly into the socket - kaboom.

BANKING: Make sure you advise your credit card companies of travel and living plans. they put a note on your file. Otherwise they may put a stop on your cards due to unusual activity when you use them here. Also, ensure you have a plan on how to get money as you need it. Using a credit card or foreign bank card to withdraw small amounts of cash regularly results in very high transaction fees.

I have a joint Cdn bank account with a family member who transfers just under $10,000 (alarm bells ring above $10,000) now and again (as needed) to my Thai bank at a small fee of $40/transaction. Works great, extremely low cost.

Medicines: I believe you are allowed a 3 month supply, carry a Dr. letter or written prescription just in case. Likely not necessary but costs nothing. Anything you cannot source locally can be mailed (again 3 month supply per shipment). Few have any problems finding what they need locally, often at a much cheaper price.

Welcome to Chiang Mai, I knew Thailand was my new home on my 2nd day here, perhaps you will have a similar experience.

Doug

• Like 1

The one item that I would suggest is a MAGICJACK. Great for free calls back home and family and friends can call you anytime on a local number (get a US or Canadian number from your hometown). It beats Skype hands down and acts just like a regular telephone with voicemail, caller ID etc...

Other than that, just about everything is available here.

We just came back from a shopping trip to Ikea Bangkok. All your kitchen and bedroom supplies sorted in one trip just like home.

Really, don't load your luggage down with pots and pans.. all that stuff is here.

• Like 1

Don t forget the kitchen sink !, really you can get everything you could need here, the odd thing

you might miss, but you are now living in Thailand,not USA, UK, Canada ,and just embrace the

stuff you can get here that you cannot easily get in your home country,

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2