US Senate votes to raise debt cap, reopen government

webfact

Sometimes the long train of possible horrors becomes a reality.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

90,609,000: Americans Not in Labor Force Climbs to Another Record

October 22, 2013 - 8:43 AM

By Terence P. Jeffrey

(CNSNews.com) - The number of Americans who are 16 years or older and who have decided not to participate in the nation's labor force has climbed to a record 90,609,000 in September, according to data released today by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

<snip>

In from July to August, according to BLS, Americans not participating in the labor force climbed from 89,957,000 to 90,473,000, pushing past 90,000,000 for the first time, with a one month increase of 516,000.

In September, it climbed again to 90,609,000, an increase of 136,000 during the month.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/90609000-americans-not-labor-force-climbs-another-record#sthash.ZdrFbBED.dpuf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

154,000 Fewer Women Held Jobs in September; Female Participation in Labor Force Matches 24-Year Low

October 22, 2013 - 9:44 AM

By Terence P. Jeffrey

(CNSNews.com) - American women participated in the nations labor force in September at a rate that matched the lowest level in 24 years, according to data released today by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

At the same time, the number of women actually holding jobs declined by 154,000 from August to September.

Because the number of women participating in the labor force declined in September, the drop in the number of women who were actually employed did not cause an increase in the unemployment rate for women.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/154000-fewer-women-held-jobs-september-female-participation-labor#sthash.IIFkPZtA.dpuf

Citing and quoting Brent Bozell stuff again.

I am certainly glad to see 16 to 22 year olds in school and not have to be participants in labor force during the school year. Bozell's media source cites a huge age range without looking into demographics of areas that increased.

Three categories explain the bulk of the decrease in labor force participation. The proportion of those outside the labor force and attending school has risen by 0.9 percent, the proportion collecting disability insurance has risen by 0.7 percent, and the proportion of retirees increased by 0.8 percent.

• Like 1

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Deleted quote edited out*

When you have a reliable source that refutes what is written, let me know. Attacking a conservative source by a liberal is standard procedure but hardly worth considering.

More from the article...

"In January 2009, when President Barack Obama took office, there were 80,507,000 Americans not in the labor force. Thus, the number of Americans not in the labor force has increased by 10,102,000 during Obama's presidency.

The labor force participation rate, which is the percentage of the non-institutionalized population 16 years or older who either have a job or actively sought one in the last four weeks, was 63.2 percent in September. That was unchanged from August.
When President Obama took office in January 2009, the labor force participation rate was 65.7 percent."

Why not search than merely read rantings of a lunatic so that you can understand how numbers are calculated and understand the reason for the numbers.

3.6 % more 16 - 24 year olds now attend college which impacts labor participation rate, especially if you use September numbers when they return to school.

As more college age kids seek higher education and more of the baby boomers retire, we are going to see changes in labor participation rate that may not necessarily be caused by macro economic conditions.

I am not saying things are perfect, but things are actually pretty dang good here right now . . .

-----

Unemployment rate 2007 to 2012

http://www.heritage.org/~/media/Images/Reports/2013/09/bg2722/BGlaborforceparticipationAUG2013chart4825.ashx

Breakdown of why individuals are no longer is labor force

http://www.heritage.org/~/media/Images/Reports/2013/09/bg2722/BGlaborforceparticipationAUG2013table1825.ashx

Change in Labor Force Status by Age Group

http://www.heritage.org/~/media/Images/Reports/2013/09/bg2722/BGlaborforceparticipationAUG2013table2825.ashx

• Like 1

I am by no means saying things are perfect or ideal. The US is undergoing many changes in the employment market. Technology is eliminating jobs. Companies are downsizing to increase PE ratios. Share holders, executives and the wealthy are profiting at the expense of the labor market comprised primarily of people without higher educations doing hourly or lower end jobs.

Mid cap, large cap or super cap companies are generally strong. This is great if you are investor, but the focus is now, more than ever, on efficiency and technology resulting in a reduction in the labor market. I believe large companies used to focus on the person, employees and creating jobs and good will in communities. This is has changed.

The labor force participation rate is impacted by current corporate philosophy and down sizing. More and more are seeking higher education as companies cut back on labor and focus more on hiring professionals or skilled, educated individuals.

Large increases in college enrollment decrease the labor force participation rate.

Baby boomers are hitting retirement age with the initial baby boomers hitting 65 in 2011. People in their 60s and 70s are least likely to work, especially since their portfolios have returned to pre-2008 or higher levels.

This baby boomers falling out of the labor force will continue to skew the numbers for the next 5 to 10 years. I actually think the baby boomers falling out and decreasing the labor force participation rate is a good thing as this may begin to open up jobs for younger generations exiting college and hitting the work force.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

Gee, that's funny? When the Republicans suggested it they were terrorist last week, now the Democrats come along and it's a good idea.http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303615304579155962427302786

Yes, I realize many wanted full defunding, but I'm sure many would have accepted a delay on the individual mandate. But as usual. the government is up to about $352 million, about 3 times estimated cost for the website.

Edited by beechguy
  • Like 2

I am by no means saying things are perfect or ideal. The US is undergoing many changes in the employment market. Technology is eliminating jobs. Companies are downsizing to increase PE ratios. Share holders, executives and the wealthy are profiting at the expense of the labor market comprised primarily of people without higher educations doing hourly or lower end jobs.

Mid cap, large cap or super cap companies are generally strong. This is great if you are investor, but the focus is now, more than ever, on efficiency and technology resulting in a reduction in the labor market. I believe large companies used to focus on the person, employees and creating jobs and good will in communities. This is has changed.

The labor force participation rate is impacted by current corporate philosophy and down sizing. More and more are seeking higher education as companies cut back on labor and focus more on hiring professionals or skilled, educated individuals.

Large increases in college enrollment decrease the labor force participation rate.

Baby boomers are hitting retirement age with the initial baby boomers hitting 65 in 2011. People in their 60s and 70s are least likely to work, especially since their portfolios have returned to pre-2008 or higher levels.

This baby boomers falling out of the labor force will continue to skew the numbers for the next 5 to 10 years. I actually think the baby boomers falling out and decreasing the labor force participation rate is a good thing as this may begin to open up jobs for younger generations exiting college and hitting the work force.

I ran across this today from the Drudge Report. I know it is CNS which, according to you, is run by Bozell. Unfortunately the Obama pandering main stream media doesn't report items like this except on page 39 of section D.

Sometimes a conservative source is all that is available.

I don't know why it took the government two years to come up with this data but I suppose it was either the Bush administration or the recent shutdown that caused the delay. thumbsup.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Census Bureau: Means-Tested Gov't Benefit Recipients Outnumber Full-Time Year-Round Workers
October 24, 2013 - 11:32 PM
By Terence P. Jeffrey
(CNSNews.com) - Americans who were recipients of means-tested government benefits in 2011 outnumbered year-round full-time workers, according to data released this month by the Census Bureau.
There were 108,592,000 people in the United States in the fourth quarter of 2011 who were recipients of one or more means-tested government benefit programs, the Census Bureau said in data released this week. Meanwhile, according to the Census Bureau, there were 101,716,000 people who worked full-time year round in 2011.

The contemporary Republican party has shown a surprising lack of serious judgement for a political entity that has existed as one of the two major political parties for three-quarters of the country's history.

Contemporary Republicans have lost the confidence of Americans in general. The contemporary Republican party has revealed it is fiscally irresponsible, that it fails to recognize the vital importance of respecting the full faith and credit of the United States, and that it no longer accepts the fundamental precept of the Constitution that reason and reasonable compromise is the predicate of democracy in the United States.

The poll cited below finds that 70% of all Americans now disapprove of the Republican party. Perhaps worst yet, 51% of all Americans strongly disapprove of the contemporary Republican party. This is a deep hole the Republicans keep feverishly digging.

When someone strongly disapproves of anything, the burden is great to try to reverse that. First one has to get the strong opponent to listen. Then one has to get the strong disapprover to become neutral. Then one has to win back the strong disapprover.

Both the Republican party and the so-called tea party are at their lowest levels of approval ever among the body politic of the United States. The tea party never had that much approval to begin with, and now one in five Americans approve of the tea party.

The Republican party has lost all sense of judgement, balance, coherence. Consequently, the majority of Americans don't trust it anymore, and the majority of Americans strongly disapprove of the contemporary Republican party.

In fairness, not every Republican in Washington is a whacko. Most however are complete and menacing whackos.

This suggests some big political changes are in the offing in the United States.

Republican disapproval grows in budget battle, Post-ABC poll finds

Disapproval of congressional Republicans’ budget wrangling after a weeklong shutdown has shot up to 70 percent, with 51 percent disapproving “strongly,” according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

A Post-ABC poll last week found 63 percent disapproving of Republicans, a number that has grown to 70 percent in the past week.

Strong disapproval has grown from 42 to 51 percent over the same period.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/10/07/republican-disapproval-grows-in-budget-battle-post-abc-poll-finds/

Gee, that's funny? When the Republicans suggested it they were terrorist last week, now the Democrats come along and it's a good idea.http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303615304579155962427302786

Yes, I realize many wanted full defunding, but I'm sure many would have accepted a delay on the individual mandate. But as usual. the government is up to about $352 million, about 3 times estimated cost for the website.

From your link:

Strassel: Democrats Run for ObamaCare Cover

After weeks of vowing they wouldn't cave on the president's signature legislation, some Democrats are doing just that.

Oct. 24, 2013 7:11 p.m. ET

"Jeanne Shaheen doesn't sound like a Democrat who just won a government-shutdown "victory." Ms. Shaheen sounds like a Democrat who thinks she's going to lose her job.

After 16 long days of vowing to Republicans that they would not cave in any way, shape or form on ObamaCare, Democrats spent their first post-shutdown week caving in every way, shape and form. With the GOP's antics now over, the only story now is the unrivaled disaster that is the president's health-care law.

Hundreds of thousands of health-insurance policies canceled. Companies dumping coverage and cutting employees' hours. Premiums skyrocketing. And a website that reprises the experience of a Commodore 64. As recently as May, Democratic consultants were advising members of Congress that their best ObamaCare strategy for 2014 was to "own" the law. Ms. Shaheen has now publicly advised the consultants where they can file that memo."

More...

• Like 2

I kept certain posters waiting a long time for that.

laugh.png

You know I like you personally, so please don't take it personally.

The Republicans had to take their strong and public stance demanding a delay in the start of Obamacare so they wouldn't be blamed for its outcome. It is now obvious to everyone who it is that forced this on Americans and the Democrats were very public about being proud of themselves.

Now when/as is crashes, the Republicans can sit back like the cat that ate the canary and enjoy watching their opponents crash.

I'm surprised only that it's negatives are showing this quickly despite all efforts by Obama and his team to cover up the flaws.

This never was "free health care" nor was it any savings to the taxpayer or the individual policy holder. Never were the high costs of health care in the US addressed.

Always it was a mandate that people buy health care at prices set by those who sell it, or pay a fine.

Always it was run by the government, who couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were written on the heel. (See the failed web site.)

This won't be the last time I say "I told you so." coffee1.gif

But will there be a stage when Americans start showing outrage? Particularly in view of the recent revelations that despite many televised appearances where the President promised Americans they could keep their health plan and keep their doctor - it was revealed today that he knew in 2010 this would not be possible. blink.png

Somebody in the media said people did not show anger at all the previous scandals affecting the White House (such as fast and furious, Benghazi, IRS targeting Republicans etc) because it didn't affect them personally. But this is different because people are being affected as they lose their previous cover and are left in limbo.

But a billion dollars to a company that produced nothing other than a cock up and who is revealed to have close ties to Michelle Obama. Why aren’t people outraged about that in itself?

Edited by midas

The link posted doesn't show any relationship between Michelle Obama and the company that built the website. They went to the same school and they belonged to an organization for black women. It doesn't even say if they knew each other.

As a matter of fact the article says this about the company that built the website:

CGI was one of 16 companies qualified under the Bush administration to provide certain tech services to the federal government.

The Republicans had to take their strong and public stance demanding a delay in the start of Obamacare so they wouldn't be blamed for its outcome. It is now obvious to everyone who it is that forced this on Americans and the Democrats were very public about being proud of themselves.

Now when/as is crashes, the Republicans can sit back like the cat that ate the canary and enjoy watching their opponents crash.

You really believe that? Because that would take a really cohesive, brilliant, and daring strategist, none of which are hallmarks of today's GOP. No NS, it's much, much simpler than that. Because revamping the severely broken US medical care system would be a huge accomplishment for any sitting President. The Republicans know that this will be President Obama's legacy and they don't want him succeeding in anything, especially something so significant. That's it, and that's all.

The link posted doesn't show any relationship between Michelle Obama and the company that built the website. They went to the same school and they belonged to an organization for black women. It doesn't even say if they knew each other.

As a matter of fact the article says this about the company that built the website:

CGI was one of 16 companies qualified under the Bush administration to provide certain tech services to the federal government.

oh you mean they were just ships passing in the night facepalm.gif ……………………… somehow I don't think so…..giggle.gif

The women are both members of the Association of Black Princeton Alumni -hardly a dime a dozen?rolleyes.gif

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2477403/Michelle-Os-Princeton-classmate-exec-company-built-Obamacare-website.html#ixzz2iubT1jmj

Michelle attended the same University, which has just under 10,000 students. The % that are minorities is around 35%.

I have yet to see anything that actually connects the two in any meaningful manner.

But they were former Princeton classmates ? It's a bit unusual not to talk or get to know a person if they are in the same class as you over a period of years?giggle.gif

The Townes-Whitley’s connection to Michelle Obama could be nothing more than a coincidence but that doesn’t mean questions shouldn’t be asked.

Toni Townes-Whitley is senior vice president at CGI Federal and the company earned what was a “no-bid” contract to build website.

When questioned CGI Federal told reporters that there would be “nothing coming out of CGI for the record or otherwise today.” If you've got nothing to hide, you at least comment on it?ph34r.png

And then of course there is the fact that George Schindler, the president for U.S. and Canada of the Canadian-based CGI Group, CGI Federal’s parent company, became an Obama 2012 campaign donor after his company gained the Obamacare website contract.

The Washington Examiner in early October, the Department of Health and Human Services reviewed only CGI’s bid for the Obamacare account. CGI was one of 16 companies qualified under the Bush administration to provide certain tech services to the federal government.

A senior vice president for the company testified this week before The House Committee on Energy and Commerce that four companies submitted bids, but did not name those companies or explain why only CGI’s bid was considered.ermm.gif

I have to disagree with you. I graduated from a university about the same size. Of my graduating class, I probably knew less than 10%. I had a lot of friends older and a number younger. Simply being at the same University isn't a big criteria for friendship.

Now, get some connections between the two and then you might have something. Did they live in the same dorm? Belong to the same Sorority? How many classes, if any, did they take together? Thus far, you have two people at the same Uni, and belonging to one social group together. We don't even know how often that group met or what it was involved in at the time.

Perhaps this will help. Purely by coincidence I'm sure, Ms. Townes-Whitley joined CGI only two months after President Obama signed Obamacare into law.

Michelle Obama and CGI Federal executive belonged to student group at Princeton that hosted pro-terrorist speaker
1:47 AM 10/28/2013
Patrick Howley
Reporter
First Lady Michelle Obama and her Princeton classmate whose company received the no-bid government contract to build the HealthCare.gov Obamacare website were both members of a black student organization that caused a tense scene on campus by inviting a PLO leader who advocated for terrorism.
Michelle Obama ’85 and her classmate Toni Townes-Whitley ’85, a senior vice president at CGI Federal, were both students at the university when their groups the Organization of Black Unity (OBU) and the Third World Center (TWC) engaged in a confrontation with Jewish students on campus.
Michelle Obama was a member of both the OBU and TWC during her time at Princeton (1981-85). Townes-Whitley also belonged to OBU and TWC.
Believe what you will.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No Bid Contract For ObamaCare Website Was Given To Michelle Obama's Pal And Sorority Sister
There's an interesting thing that's surfaced regarding the disastrous $678 million ObamaCare website.
The company that built it, CGI Federal received a no bid contract to build the site, even though four other companies submitted bids which were never reviewed. Only CGI’s bid was considered.
<snip>
As the Daily Caller reported, Toni Townes-Whitley, Princeton class of ’85, is the senior vice president at CGI Federal...and not only a classmate and friend of the First Lady, who graduated from Princeton the same year, but a sister at the all black sorority Alpha Kappa Alpha and a fellow member of the Association of Black Princeton Alumni.

You really believe that? Because that would take a really cohesive, brilliant, and daring strategist, none of which are hallmarks of today's GOP. No NS, it's much, much simpler than that. Because revamping the severely broken US medical care system would be a huge accomplishment for any sitting President. The Republicans know that this will be President Obama's legacy and they don't want him succeeding in anything, especially something so significant. That's it, and that's all.

"Because revamping the severely broken US medical care system would be a huge accomplishment for any sitting President."

Good grief. Anyone who thinks Obamacare does one single thing to revamp a broken health care system hasn't paid attention. It does nothing to fix the problems with the health care system. It leaves all of the problems intact, and attempts to force them on people.

Obama's "legacy" will be Obamacare all right. He will be known as the King of Disasters.

People truly need to stop beginning their thinking with the idea that Obamacare fixes anything or helps anyone. It's an unmitigated disaster.

• Like 1

While I don't think this is the real issue and I do firmly believe Obamacare will eventually keep costs in check and make health care more affordable for everyone . . ., this sucks in that it shows that Bama will say anything and this shows that he is someone that cannot be trusted . . . I really do not know how anyone could support this jack-a now. Dude has lost all credibility and is a pathetic excuse of a . . . he should not even be permitted to maintain a law license based on a complete lack of integrity.

-----

Obama administration knew millions could not keep their health insurance

President Obama repeatedly assured Americans that after the Affordable Care Act became law, people who liked their health insurance would be able to keep it. But millions of Americans are getting or are about to get cancellation letters for their health insurance under Obamacare, say experts, and the Obama administration has known that for at least three years.

Four sources deeply involved in the Affordable Care Act tell NBC News that 50 to 75 percent of the 14 million consumers who buy their insurance individually can expect to receive a “cancellation” letter or the equivalent over the next year because their existing policies don’t meet the standards mandated by the new health care law. One expert predicts that number could reach as high as 80 percent. And all say that many of those forced to buy pricier new policies will experience “sticker shock.”

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/29/21222195-obama-administration-knew-millions-could-not-keep-their-health-insurance?lite

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

Obamacare has had nothing but a long history of lies and distortions against it so now we have more. And after this mess is cleaned up, anti-Obamacare fanatics will invent and create more outright lies and distortions.

That's the history of it to date, with more to come for sure.

So, for the record, here are facts about converting the coverage provided by existing policies, to the upgraded and subsidized ACA insurance that gives you protections, instead of there being so many existing policies for which you pay something but get nothing.

The truth of the insurance policy change is specifically that they will be cancelled and reissued. You will be reissued a new policy because insurance companies cannot cancel you as an insured client. Insurance companies must provide you a minimum level of service.

So policies that don’t meet the minimum requirements under the ACA might require an upgrade.

If you want or need to upgrade your coverage/policy, and if it costs more, then you can get subsidies - you can get supplementary money from the government if you qualify.

And if your cost is going up, you'll probably qualify. Further, you will end up with better health and medical insurance that actually covers something, not the one you have that gets you nothing.

These are the consumer protection aspects of coverage minimums that the ACA makes sure you have by law.

http://www.livenewschat.eu/2013/10/millions-with-individual-with-sub-par-insurance-plans-could-expect-cancellation-letters/

Edited by Publicus

Raising the standards of health and medical care in the United States, and to ensure the insurance corporations provide you with actual insurance you can use, is what ObamaCare is all about. In macroeconomic terms, it's about bringing medical insurance and treatment costs under better and more efficacious control, which the CBO says it will do..

If you choose to keep your medical insurance plan, but your plan gets worse after the ACA kicks in, then you can change your plan.

If you keep your medical insurance plan, and you like a ACA insurance market plan better, you can change your plan. If the better plan costs a little more, you can get the difference subsidized.

Those are the facts.

When the provisions of the ACA get overwhelmed by the thunderous lies that have continuously rolled for the past five years, it's hard to communicate the facts and the truth. The truth, however, most often wins out.

Many opponents of ObamaCare haven't just debated, they've systematically misinformed. Some have outright lied, such as the death panels which never existed, never will exist in the United States..

After the Republican debacle of ObamaCare and the government shutdown, the ACA has gained five percentage points in polling popularity. Given the double whammy to the Republicans of losing on ObamaCare and losing on the government shutdown, opponents of the ACA are more desperate than ever at this point.

This is not a plan of free medical care. It is a market based user paid plan.

I kept certain posters waiting a long time for that.

laugh.png

You know I like you personally, so please don't take it personally.

I'm surprised only that it's negatives are showing this quickly despite all efforts by Obama and his team to cover up the flaws.

This never was "free health care" nor was it any savings to the taxpayer or the individual policy holder. Never were the high costs of health care in the US addressed.

Always it was a mandate that people buy health care at prices set by those who sell it, or pay a fine.

Always it was run by the government, who couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were written on the heel. (See the failed web site.)

This won't be the last time I say "I told you so." coffee1.gif

NeverSure, your post above states, The Republicans had to take their strong and public stance demanding a delay in the start of Obamacare so they wouldn't be blamed for its outcome. It is now obvious to everyone who it is that forced this on Americans and the Democrats were very public about being proud of themselves.

You are way off base.

You clearly have missed the fierce and ferocious Republican party opposition, stated most loudly and with the greatest commotion over the past five years against ObamaCare. No present or recent emphasis is or was necessary.

The government shutdown over defunding ObamaCare, which was not technically possible and Ted Cruz & tea party knew it, gained nothing for the Republican party. All of that most recent commotion, previous to the present newest commotion, buried the Republican party broadly and very deeply among the US body politic.

At this point, however, I really really very much want you guys to keep on digging and digging deeper into that hole. All the way to the November 2014 elections hopefully.

Edited by Publicus

Perhaps this will help. Purely by coincidence I'm sure, Ms. Townes-Whitley joined CGI only two months after President Obama signed Obamacare into law.

Michelle Obama and CGI Federal executive belonged to student group at Princeton that hosted pro-terrorist speaker
1:47 AM 10/28/2013
Patrick Howley
Reporter
First Lady Michelle Obama and her Princeton classmate whose company received the no-bid government contract to build the HealthCare.gov Obamacare website were both members of a black student organization that caused a tense scene on campus by inviting a PLO leader who advocated for terrorism.
Michelle Obama ’85 and her classmate Toni Townes-Whitley ’85, a senior vice president at CGI Federal, were both students at the university when their groups the Organization of Black Unity (OBU) and the Third World Center (TWC) engaged in a confrontation with Jewish students on campus.
Michelle Obama was a member of both the OBU and TWC during her time at Princeton (1981-85). Townes-Whitley also belonged to OBU and TWC.
Believe what you will.
No Bid Contract For ObamaCare Website Was Given To Michelle Obama's Pal And Sorority Sister
There's an interesting thing that's surfaced regarding the disastrous $678 million ObamaCare website.
The company that built it, CGI Federal received a no bid contract to build the site, even though four other companies submitted bids which were never reviewed. Only CGI’s bid was considered.
<snip>
As the Daily Caller reported, Toni Townes-Whitley, Princeton class of ’85, is the senior vice president at CGI Federal...and not only a classmate and friend of the First Lady, who graduated from Princeton the same year, but a sister at the all black sorority Alpha Kappa Alpha and a fellow member of the Association of Black Princeton Alumni.

So, again, still no personal connection between the two. Surely such big and ominous events by this group should have produced some pictures of the two of them together? Or maybe....just maybe.... the contract was awarded to a company that had been pre-approved by the Bush administration.

• Like 1

Obamacare has had nothing but a long history of lies and distortions against it so now we have more.

Lies and distortions? There have been some real doozies.

"If you like your plan you can keep your plan. If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. Period.

-Barack Obama

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2