Foreigner !

benalibina

Interesting choice of topic,benalibina.

It could be, but not so if it continues with & ends up just being yet another topic being deluged with content containing asylum seeker/refugee bashing posts.

Open a can of worms.

It is a subject open for hot civilized debate.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep.

i have to show 800000 Baht every year, otherwise I have to leave immediately.

If they would do the same in our home countries, there would be much less problems.

And a second thing i have learned: foreigners never integrate. It is a leftist myth. The best you could demand that foreigners follow the rules and have a proper attitude. That's what i do here. That's what people in our home countries should demand from foreigners as well.

The integration part is interesting in your comment. When you went to live in LOS, assume you do, did you ask the thais about info or your fellowcountrymen, about whatever ? When you live in a place with plenty of foreigners, do you hang out more with them than with the thais ? The overwhelming majority of foreigners living in "our countries" obey the law, same as the expats do in LOS. The majority of foreigners in our countries hang out with their own lot. Same as the expats in LOS.

Apart from the moneyside, wealth/choice, its same same but no different for everybody. Anyway, just my take on it.

Perhaps Thailand should do like the Netherlands, "learn Thai or leave!"...

http://content.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,899493272001_0,00.html?iid=tabvidrecirc

The things you remember. back in the very early 70's, my friend, and mentor, 'Pusser' Hill, who was Ex RN (British Navy) telling me a true story of two British Destroyers carrying out RAS Approaches at sea. (practising going up alongside each other whilst underway, at sea, to refuel, ammunition or re store)'

It was carried out at distances of less than 100 Feet, 80 Feet being common. So providing the conditions were OK, blokes could yell out to mates over on the other ship.

One day 'Pusser' recalls, a matelot in one Brit Destroyer yells out, 'Oi! Is there anyone over there from Birmin'am!?

And some smart arse yells back, 'Nooooo mate, we're an all white crew'.

• Like 1

Yep.

If they would do the same in our home countries, there would be much less problems.

And a second thing i have learned: foreigners never integrate. It is a leftist myth. The best you could demand that foreigners follow the rules and have a proper attitude. That's what i do here. That's what people in our home countries should demand from foreigners as well.

The integration part is interesting in your comment. When you went to live in LOS, assume you do, did you ask the thais about info or your fellowcountrymen, about whatever ? When you live in a place with plenty of foreigners, do you hang out more with them than with the thais ? The overwhelming majority of foreigners living in "our countries" obey the law, same as the expats do in LOS. The majority of foreigners in our countries hang out with their own lot. Same as the expats in LOS.

Apart from the moneyside, wealth/choice, its same same but no different for everybody. Anyway, just my take on it.

http://content.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,899493272001_0,00.html?iid=tabvidrecirc

After a day of pondering, you come back as sharp as a knife. Well done. In all seriousness many of the thai partners would cherish the thoughts of such a proposal.

Interesting choice of topic,benalibina.

It could be, but not so if it continues with & ends up just being yet another topic being deluged with content containing asylum seeker/refugee bashing posts.

I have faith in people. Reread the OP and reply/comment accordingly.

Have not read anything yet about the thai partners influence regarding, possible, change of view on the posters homecountry.

OK, response below...

No change of view on foreigners on my part living in Australia, UK or NZ, all countries of which I am a citizen. Nor did my wife’s general experience change my views, other than the sometimes racial bigotry expressed to her in a public place; that was a surprise to me & her. The government sets the rules & criteria for foreigners living in the countries of my citizenship; it’s OK by me as the vast majority just want to make a new life, work hard and so on.

My wife and lived in Australia for 15 years and that did change her views of Western foreigners, more precisely due to the quality of life in Australia, equal rights & government transparency in handling immigrants etc. She fully took on board the work ethic required to make a good living.

Since returning to Thailand to live, retirement, my wife has expressed an interest to return to Australia for quality of life reasons, but not done so as the counterbalance is to live close to her extended family after many years overseas. What she doesn’t like is her perception of the presence of what she calls “rude low style” foreigners in Thailand. She is of the opinion the Thai immigration rules & laws for foreigners who wish to live here should be similar to Australia.

• Like 2

After a day of pondering, you come back as sharp as a knife. Well done. In all seriousness many of the thai partners would cherish the thoughts of such a proposal.

I can be quite impressive after I've "pondered."

But to answer your OP, I can tell you that in the USA, the standard complaints against immigrants is typically stealing of jobs, crime, and failure to integrate into mainstream society. Although the latter may be true regarding many expats in Thailand, I don't notice the Thais complaining much about that. In general, I believe Thai society to be much more receptive of foreigners than the USA. That would change if more foreigners settled in Thailand and those 3 issues became real problems.

Yes, it makes me realize how difficult it much be for some people to fit in in my home country, and knowing they have limited opportunity to return to their home country. And on top of that, constantly having to face "superior" people who looks down on them and tell them to "go home".

• Like 2

Its curious how when expats in Thailand point their fingure at foreigners invading 'the old country' they point at some nameless, unidentifiable steriotype of a foreigner who enters the old country with the sole purpose of scamming the welfare system, getting a free home, getting education/health for their kids that they have not paid for - just basically ripping the place off.

Of course the story changes when the Thai expat actually knows the foreigner, in the shape and form of his Thai wife, who arrives back in the old country, immediately finds a job (where the locals can't find a job) and immediately starts contributing to the tax coffers and general well being of society.

You think that prejudice disappears that quickly ?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well said mate

the italians did a great job and i really dont know how they put up with the abuse they got. They soon fitted in to the sussie culture and were acepted

Yep.

For a foreigner to retire in the UK you must at a minimum be 60 years of age & an annual income of £25,000 (without working) and to prove "close connections" to the UK. The upside is that after meeting the criteria the applicant will usually be granted a four year visa. Once you have spent four years in the UK, as long you still have the requisite income, the Home Office will normally grant indefinite leave to remain.

not in thailand that is for sure

http://www.ukimmigration.com/retirement

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

... on my part living in Australia, UK or NZ, all countries of which I am a citizen.

simple1 ... you've opened my eyes ... I didn't know you could obtain Triple or Mutiple Citizenship.

I did a bit of research and was surprised by the result.

May I ask, to which country do you hold your closet allegiance?

Your birth country, the country where you spent the longest time, your wife's country?

For me, I have a huge soft spot for the Poms, having lived there for a few years,

but that was an England of 20 years ago ... apparently, the Culture has changed significantly since those days.

The Dutch and the Dans rate highly also ... don't know why, just a feeling.

I don't take social housing,healthcare,state handouts,from Thailand.

Unlike the ever increasing amount of migrants to the UK, some legal,many alleged asylum seekers.

They bring nothing with them and abuse every avenue available to them to gain financially.

They are slowly bringing the country to its knees.

Latest Government figures from the UK claim there are 600,000 illegal Immigrants.

... on my part living in Australia, UK or NZ, all countries of which I am a citizen.

simple1 ... you've opened my eyes ... I didn't know you could obtain Triple or Mutiple Citizenship.

I did a bit of research and was surprised by the result.

May I ask, to which country do you hold your closet allegiance?

Your birth country, the country where you spent the longest time, your wife's country?

For me, I have a huge soft spot for the Poms, having lived there for a few years,

but that was an England of 20 years ago ... apparently, the Culture has changed significantly since those days.

The Dutch and the Dans rate highly also ... don't know why, just a feeling.

I was born, raised, educated and worked in London up to the age of 30+, the UK has the emotional & intellectual allegiance for me. After living overseas for 7 years (NZ & Australia) I really missed the vibrancy of London and the English sense of humour and returned. Thoroughly disliked the long winters, I went back to Sydney, but I did miss English women!

I have no allegiance to Thailand, other than being my wife's home country. I currently live in Thailand to fulfill a long standing committment to my wife to live here upon retirement. We are both reviewing the future for staying here as there are a number of downsides to living in Thailand.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

Yes, I now realise how good they've got it.

Absolutely correct. I never realized how much immigrants have in the US; both rights and protections, compared to a country like Thailand. We are as low as the Malang Sab (cockroach) in this country.

Edited by oneday

Reading the comments to this topic(good by the way) it's becoming apparent, that most expats living here mostly agree on one thing....

We just want the EQUAL Rights that Thais (or any other nationality) receive in our home countries.

Yes we knew the rules here and we came anyway....but Thailand has changed in the last 10 yrs.

What would happen, for instance, if the Australian Government up'd and said....we are going to change the rules to match what other countries give our citizens...No Thais or any other country can own land in Australia and not have the freedoms afforded to Australians...until they match what they can receive in Australia...

If so...There would be a massive sale of Waterfront properties in Pert for instance. Everything is too one sided at present....

I don't take social housing,healthcare,state handouts,from Thailand.

Unlike the ever increasing amount of migrants to the UK, some legal,many alleged asylum seekers.

They bring nothing with them and abuse every avenue available to them to gain financially.

They are slowly bringing the country to its knees.

Totally agree with your posting and your comments..

I have now lived in Thailand for over 3 years, and dont expect any handouts, or anything.

I do enjoy living here, and i do respect there culture and religion and there quirky beliefs, i do realise i am a ''Foreigner'' living in there country but thats fine..

I feel as though i have adapted well, previous to here i lived in ''France'' believe it or not that was harder to integrate for loads of reasons.

Legal immigrants to the USA have always been welcome. Thailand welcomes, for the most part, legal immigrants and long and short term visitors. I don't see much difference in the 'official' stance but in practice, illegals in the USA can expect lots of benefits supposedly reserved for citizens, such as tax refunds when working illegally and drivers licenses in several states. Probably more stuff that I haven't researched, too.

• Like 1

For my side, I am seething that my country does not impose as draconian measures as the 90-day report to the local Thai immigrants.

Thailand thought me that far-right views such as "national preference" are not so far fetched.

Only Europe believes that we must give handouts to every miserable foreigner who comes in to beg.

And when I see their hypocrite religion and the way they want to make it a state religion, I would wish Europeans had the backbone to claim a bit more respect for the Christian traditions of Europe.

• Like 2

It all comes down to what the immigrant has to offer. Are they bringing skills and labor needed or milking a welfare system that is out of control. Are they adapting to the culture and language, or making waves to get the host country to provide their language in text and bilingual laws. Are they using the invaded country to propagate themselves silly, at others expense. You see where i'm going.

• Like 1

Yes, I now realise how good they've got it.

Hear !!!! Hear !!!!

Why dont you both pack your bags and head home then. Nobody is forcing you to live in LOS

The old "why don't you go home" argument - completely facile.

wouldn't it be better if the average expat just took one day of the booze and thought about why they are here, why they moved, what affect they REALLY have on Thailand and then try and apply some lateral thinking to why and how other people in the world want to leave their home countries....what would the expats do in those people's situations.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

Well I learned that it's not always easy to adjust and it can be very frustrating. It's clear you're always a "farang and a third person" no matter what you do or how well you speak Thai.

Some only relay on money and not even bother i know, but I really tried and I not even want to learn more Thai language because there would still not be anything interesting to talk about.

I like the fact they make things not more complicated in life then we do in the west.

Anyway what I learned is that foreigners in my country had and have some real tough times even if we take better care of them. It's just not that easy, picture if you have no money...