Forum upgrade in progress! ×

New CBR 300 Is Born

KRS1

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me there a couple of problems with this sort of bike, when it comes to the none lunatic riding in Thailand.

Surely bhp isn't as relevant as torque, after all Thai roads are not race-tracks. Also where that peak torque figure occurs on the rev band, peak torque at high rpm isn't any use either, in fact if you use the word "grunt" there isn't any on these racing bikes.

Unfortunately my 30 old bike falls into this category, 43 unusable bhp and peak torque that occurs at a screaming rpm. Trouble is we are let to believe more is better.....and it ain't. Drop my 400 down to half the bhp and give me some real grunt.

The other is riding position, bent over, beer belly on the tank to achieve fast last times, where?

To me there a couple of problems with this sort of bike, when it comes to the none lunatic riding in Thailand.

Surely bhp isn't as relevant as torque, after all Thai roads are not race-tracks. Also where that peak torque figure occurs on the rev band, peak torque at high rpm isn't any use either, in fact if you use the word "grunt" there isn't any on these racing bikes.

Unfortunately my 30 old bike falls into this category, 43 unusable bhp and peak torque that occurs at a screaming rpm. Trouble is we are let to believe more is better.....and it ain't. Drop my 400 down to half the bhp and give me some real grunt.

The other is riding position, bent over, beer belly on the tank to achieve fast last times, where?

youve never ridden a cbr 250 wink.png

its no superbike, but your assumption is far from accurate

Not sure what your on about but a 300cc single cylinder engine is never gonna be a high RPM low torque bike. Also a modern true sport bike has lots of torque in a pretty wide band they only feel peaky because of the insane way they build RPM once you get over 7,000 or 9,000 RPM.

Look at the peak torque numbers for an R1, a CBR1000, a GSXR1000 or a ZX1000, they are pretty massive for the size of the engines, and the power is over a pretty wide band.

There would be some validity to what you say if we were talking about some of the old small displacement 2 strokes but that isn't the case here.

It isn't a sport bike, it's an economical run around. Capable of carrying 2 people and looks better than a phantom... Fits its place in the market perfectly smile.png

i think a lot of people are fooled by the fireblade lookalike plastics and think they are getting a more sportier bike..... a mate of mine who was a newbie to bikes was pretty under-whelmed after a couple of weeks of driving the 250.... he sold it and got a ER6 after a few of months.

If you buy on looks and dreams, a 250 will always be disappointing for an aspiring Marquez. The little Honda is meant to be cheap and cheerful - easy on the pocket, and a fun ride. If you want power and speed, of course you need to add another bigger (& more expensive) bike to the garage. (I want to add the new Honda 650F to my garage. But my better half objects to more than 4 bikes, so I'll have to sell one. Or her.)

It isn't a sport bike, it's an economical run around. Capable of carrying 2 people and looks better than a phantom... Fits its place in the market perfectly smile.png

i think a lot of people are fooled by the fireblade lookalike plastics and think they are getting a more sportier bike..... a mate of mine who was a newbie to bikes was pretty under-whelmed after a couple of weeks of driving the 250.... he sold it and got a ER6 after a few of months.

If you buy on looks and dreams, a 250 will always be disappointing for an aspiring Marquez. The little Honda is meant to be cheap and cheerful - easy on the pocket, and a fun ride. If you want power and speed, of course you need to add another bigger (& more expensive) bike to the garage. (I want to add the new Honda 650F to my garage. But my better half objects to more than 4 bikes, so I'll have to sell one. Or her.)

maintenence cost is more for her, you know which one to get ridof ;)

Not only maintenance costs, who will I miss most when I'm lying awake at nights? Whose characteristics will I bore my friends with as I sit crying into my beer? And who will I be talking about when phoning "Bikeline" at 3am because I feel life is not worth living?

Unfortunately, Cbr300 will be released next year but i am not sure if it will be at motor expo according to an article at one major english newspaper in thailand.

Hope it will be sold by bigwing and not small bike dealers.

"...Back home, AP Honda will introduce the CBR650F and CB650F at the Thailand International Motor Expo running at Impact Muang Thong Thani from Nov 28 to Dec 10 and the CBR300R sometime next year..."

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 1 month later...

Fair play to them, beating 29 race prepped ninjas to win. Good story.

Not to bash Honda, but the Kawa driver could not drive. He did not even try. That, or the outcome was decided in advance.

In the video he was just fooling around with his friend. In the race he beat 29 other riders on ninja 250's.

Now we all know the ninja 250 is a very good piece of machinery but 29 of them (all race prepped the same as the cbr) were beaten by a thumper on that day on that particular circuit ( which does seem to favour the cbr). Just stating the facts here.

Each bike has it's owns pros and cons. After reading the review of the CBR 300, it seems that the ninja 300 and CBR 300 are closer than ever. IMO the CBR is better because it's lighter than the older CBR 250. I also like the look of the fireblade. The price will be a lot nicer as well.

When comparing Kawasaki and Honda I fell that you just get a lot more with Honda. That's just my opinion.

I think it is as simple as a single or a twin in a 'reasonably' lightweight, frugal category designed for new entrants with licence restrictions etc.

More 250cc ish bikes is a really good thing and brings more people into the sport yadda yadda, further ensuring the industry has a growing future.

There hadn't been much movement in this category since the early nineties (even if those old bikes are much better IMO), so with all the new models from Kaswasaki, Honda and 'hopefully' Yamaha, there should be a more competitive environment where in the end, better bikes are built.

But back to the topic, It really comes down to the engine - the differences everywhere else are pretty minimal (other than personal taste of course), but whether an engine is a twin or a singe at the same capacity makes an enormous difference to the ride it gives. One is not really better than the other, it's almost like styling, where it is each to their own, as Mr Guzzi mentioned.

Just because it is a twin doesn't mean the Kwaka is faster either, but you would think two cylinders would give a better sport bike 'performance outcome' than one where the capacities are the same - then again it is always going to be down to the track and the rider's abilities too.

Here is an old video of a Kawasaki Ninja 250 vs. a Yamaha WR250X (Showing that maybe singles can go fast too).

Go to 2 minutes and 5 seconds for the start.

Sorry for the rant!

• 1 month later...

What's actually the retail price of the 2014 CBR 300&250 R both with ABS ?

And if I can find a 2013 CBR250R with ABS how much can I expect to pay while trying to deal the price a little ?

I will be paying the bike cash, don't know if can help to get a discount

thanx

Here is an old video of a Kawasaki Ninja 250 vs. a Yamaha WR250X (Showing that maybe singles can go fast too).

You know that WR motor is/was quite an engine.

Which is why I am pretty curious to see what Yamaha comes up with in their new 250 R25 twin

The "expected" numbers are quite impressive ( for a 250 )

post-82547-0-37103000-1391069438_thumb.j

What's actually the retail price of the 2014 CBR 300&250 R both with ABS ?

And if I can find a 2013 CBR250R with ABS how much can I expect to pay while trying to deal the price a little ?

I will be paying the bike cash, don't know if can help to get a discount

thanx

They haven't announced a price for the 300 yet. Maybe at the motorshow?

You know that WR motor is/was quite an engine.

Which is why I am pretty curious to see what Yamaha comes up with in their new 250 R25 twin

The "expected" numbers are quite impressive ( for a 250 )

attachicon.gifyamaha-r25.jpg

This add if for the India market. It would be nice to see Yamaha bring a 250 or 150 to Thailand. This add must be old as they compare their prototype to the CBR 250. Honda has pretty much dominated sales in Thailand.

Yamaha has started selling big bikes but will have to see how the markets sales do this year.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Honda riders are either girls or guys with no balls, I went with Kawa because I could sit on it without getting my jewels squashed while on CBR I couldn't get comfortable. laugh.png

OK joking aside, that was the real reason why I went with Kawa, sure I could've moved back a little but I like sitting close to the tank hugging it with my legs.smile.png

Honda riders are either girls or guys with no balls, I went with Kawa because I could sit on it without getting my jewels squashed while on CBR I couldn't get comfortable. laugh.png

OK joking aside, that was the real reason why I went with Kawa, sure I could've moved back a little but I like sitting close to the tank hugging it with my legs.smile.png

As a noob smashing you nads into the gas tank is very common, with any bike. Having good body positioning will keep this from happening. Personally I would prefer a Yamaha or a Suzuki to a Kawasaki. Since Honda and Kawasaki are the only big bikes you can buy in Thailand, at a reasonable price. With Kawasaki a tad bit on more expensive side, I choose Honda but to each his own.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

This add if for the India market. It would be nice to see Yamaha bring a 250 or 150 to Thailand. This add must be old as they compare their prototype to the CBR 250.

Actually it is quite new as they only just announced the bike ( finally ) recently

Also note they compare to the Ninja 300

They can only use a Honda 250 as that is all that existed at the time.

Has Honda officially released specs yet on the 300?

But I think we have heard advance reports that the Honda 300 will not be the Ninja 300 spec wise

so we can kind of figure from there.

But in any case if this is a 250 twin & they get those numbers they are doing very well.( for a 250 )

But they also recently grabbed the R3/YZF R-3 names so maybe they will come up with a 300 when release finally rolls around

or do like Kawasaki & give the world a 300 & Asia a 250 initially?

This add if for the India market. It would be nice to see Yamaha bring a 250 or 150 to Thailand. This add must be old as they compare their prototype to the CBR 250.

Actually it is quite new as they only just announced the bike ( finally ) recently

Also note they compare to the Ninja 300

They can only use a Honda 250 as that is all that existed at the time.

Has Honda officially released specs yet on the 300?

But I think we have heard advance reports that the Honda 300 will not be the Ninja 300 spec wise

so we can kind of figure from there.

But in any case if this is a 250 twin & they get those numbers they are doing very well.( for a 250 )

But they also recently grabbed the R3/YZF R-3 names so maybe they will come up with a 300 when release finally rolls around

or do like Kawasaki & give the world a 300 & Asia a 250 initially?

post-140969-13911688787841_thumb.jpgI saw this in late November early December.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Archived