Transport Min to enforce seat belt fastening on all public buses and vans

Lite Beer

Transport Min to enforce seat belt fastening on all public buses and vans

BANGKOK, 17th October 2013 (NNT) - The Transport Ministry is keen on enforcing the law requiring public bus or van passengers to wear seatbelts, said Deputy Transport Minister Mr.Pong Chewananth.

The Transport Minister has been pushing the ministry to come up with a ministerial regulation in order for it to enforce the law, which has been approved by the Council of State and in the process of being submitted to the cabinet for consideration and approval. The regulation is expected to be announced at the end of the year 2013.

Once announced, passengers on all types of public buses, including cross-province tour buses and vans, will be required to wear safety belts while on those vehicles. Failure to do so will result in a maximum fine of 5,000 baht. All buses must be equipped with seatbelts by April 1, 2014. Unless they fail to do so by that date, owners will be fined 50,000 baht per bus.

The regulation comes in the wake of statistics indicating that 40-50% of those injured or killed in accidents did not wear seatbelts. Wearing seatbelt will help lower the number of fatalities caused by accidents, especially during the festive seasons such as Loy Krathong and New Year, said the deputy minister.

xnntlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.jhm_RvI1ss.web
-- NNT 2013-10-17

• Like 1

Not sure how a seat belt is more effective during festive season than any other time of year, unless they're accepting you'll be driving drunk. Perhaps breath testing would also help. A step in the right direction if it ever gets enforced.

"Failure to do so will result in a maximum fine of 5,000 baht."

This must be far more serious that a vicious assault on a person, especially on a farang. The fine for that is usually set at 200 baht when done by a Thai. Maybe I just don't understand Thainess.

This has the potential to be a huge money earner for the police. Those vans filled with Chinese tourist will make great targets.

Edited by aguy30

Slow the damn busses down and stop them from passing on the left side on the freeway. and stop them from passing on a yellow no passing line. or going through red traffic lights

and take away driving license if the driver continues to break the traffic laws

POLICE NEED TO DO THEIR JOB

• Like 1

Great idea, but totally unenforceable! If the Government are genuine about saving lives, start by educating kids to wear crash helmets on motorcycles. Come to that get the police to ensure that their pillion passengers or family wear helmets when driving them to school! Yesterday, witnessed a high ranking police officer being given a pillion ride by one of his officers. He was not wearing a helmet! Also on the subject of road safety, fitting airbags to passenger side and rear side impact bags in cars would assist ( I understand that these are an " extra" in cars in Thailand) I guess it is probably easier to stop a bus or van and enforce the law than it is to stop a motorcycle with 4 people without helmets. I would love to know what he statistics are for motorcycle deaths and injuries compared with deaths and injuries from bus accidents.

Raise the whole profile of road safety and enforce existing laws and maybe the figures will improve. You never see a motorcyclist in UK without a helmet or a driver or passenger without a seatbelt on because the law is enforced rigorously, and as a result road safety has been improved. Once this has been tackled, then maybe the use of mobile phones whilst driving either car or motorcycle can be tackled. It's a political minefield and would be totally unpopular with the populous of Thailand, but someone needs to make a stand if life is valued in this country.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So if about half of those who die in traffic accidents do not wear a seat belt, it means that the other half do wear seat belts. That means that there is a 50:50 chance of dying in a traffic accident whether you wear a seat belt or not.laugh.png

Edited by Card

"The Transport Ministry is keen on enforcing the law..............."

I find this rather odd in a country where law enforcement is a pick and choose occupation.

How will this law be enforced? By roadside stop-checks?

Thais have to learn the benefits of seat belts. Some drivers may refuse to wear them as it may impede their FTS (flee the scene) ability. Anyway the intention is well meant, just hope they follow up and maintain pressure on the van drivers.

One must suppose that this law, like Not using cellphone while driving, Helmets for motorcycles, driving on the wrong side of the road and many more will just be ignored until you get to a checkpoint and then foreigners will be fined.

There's' so much to say about seatbelts on buses.

First of all, regardless of the timeline, the belts have to be properly installed. That is, they need to be fastened securely to the bus frame, not to the seat itself, or even the wooden floorboards. Consider if the belts are only fastened to the seats: upon impact the passenger's or passengers' weight and force will very likely uproot the screws holding the seats to the floor. Obviously, a situation not much better than no belt at all...maybe worse.

Then, too, if the belts are properly secured to the floor, there will be a mess of belts and connections that will be in the way for one's feet, causing even a greater hazard for entering or exiting the seats. If the bus were to be swept or mopped by cleaners, the belts would surely compound their work.

Belt buckles from unused seatbelts are also potential hazards which, if thrown about during a crash could also result in added injury. In addition, unused belts will most likely end up being stepped on and otherwise getting filthy, making them even that much more unlikely to be used. Of course, one could tie the unused belt strap into knots, or stuff it out of sight, assuring that it won't ever be used again. Maintenance of frayed, cut, dirty, or otherwise unsafe belts would be an ordeal.

And who is going to be onboard each bus to insist that the passengers buckle up? Even if that additional employee of the bus company were on the bus, I cannot imagine any Thai with the nerve to tell others that "this bus will not move until everyone buckles up." "And you will remain buckled up until you get to your destination." It ain't gonna happen.

However, if, with no enforcing employee onboard, there were to be a police check point along the way, do they really think that all passengers will sit by idly waiting for the cop to come down the aisle to check belts? Immediately upon being stopped everyone onboard would scramble to buckle up, showing 100% compliance.

Perhaps the best reason for this is math. Being able to simply state that now with all buses enforcing the buckling up of x-number of passengers, the numbers for seatbelt compliance per 1,000 passenger kilometers will have changed, thus making road accident statistics for Thailand look better.

Having driven bus myself for far too many years, I do not favor seatbelts for passengers on buses. The drivers, on the other hand, should be required to wear them. Rather than having the driver trying to keep himself in the driver's seat during an emergency, I'd like him secured there so that he or she can concentrate on getting the bus under control. (And maybe there should be a lock on the driver's seat belt that only his boss can release, thus keeping him from running away after the accident.)

There's' so much to say about seatbelts on buses.

First of all, regardless of the timeline, the belts have to be properly installed. That is, they need to be fastened securely to the bus frame, not to the seat itself, or even the wooden floorboards. Consider if the belts are only fastened to the seats: upon impact the passenger's or passengers' weight and force will very likely uproot the screws holding the seats to the floor. Obviously, a situation not much better than no belt at all...maybe worse.

Then, too, if the belts are properly secured to the floor, there will be a mess of belts and connections that will be in the way for one's feet, causing even a greater hazard for entering or exiting the seats. If the bus were to be swept or mopped by cleaners, the belts would surely compound their work.

Belt buckles from unused seatbelts are also potential hazards which, if thrown about during a crash could also result in added injury. In addition, unused belts will most likely end up being stepped on and otherwise getting filthy, making them even that much more unlikely to be used. Of course, one could tie the unused belt strap into knots, or stuff it out of sight, assuring that it won't ever be used again. Maintenance of frayed, cut, dirty, or otherwise unsafe belts would be an ordeal.

And who is going to be onboard each bus to insist that the passengers buckle up? Even if that additional employee of the bus company were on the bus, I cannot imagine any Thai with the nerve to tell others that "this bus will not move until everyone buckles up." "And you will remain buckled up until you get to your destination." It ain't gonna happen.

However, if, with no enforcing employee onboard, there were to be a police check point along the way, do they really think that all passengers will sit by idly waiting for the cop to come down the aisle to check belts? Immediately upon being stopped everyone onboard would scramble to buckle up, showing 100% compliance.

Perhaps the best reason for this is math. Being able to simply state that now with all buses enforcing the buckling up of x-number of passengers, the numbers for seatbelt compliance per 1,000 passenger kilometers will have changed, thus making road accident statistics for Thailand look better.

Having driven bus myself for far too many years, I do not favor seatbelts for passengers on buses. The drivers, on the other hand, should be required to wear them. Rather than having the driver trying to keep himself in the driver's seat during an emergency, I'd like him secured there so that he or she can concentrate on getting the bus under control. (And maybe there should be a lock on the driver's seat belt that only his boss can release, thus keeping him from running away after the accident.)

OMG, where do I start? You obviously don't travel by bus in Thailand, or at least not with an observant eye. Seat belts retract, Most seat belts on modern buses, even in Thailand are bolted securely to the sturdy seat post or floor. It's has a special secure point and I doubt would come out in a smash.They don't get in the way of cleaners or your feet.

Most buses in Thailand have a ticket collector/stewardess who could do the checking - on long distance they damn well make sure you have the right seat and don't you dare smoke either, so why not seat belts?

I always try to wear a seat belt - usually the only person in the bus that does - even farangs who should know better do not - same as with crash helmets. However, public education is also a key part of compliance - along with penalties, adequate provision, and enforcement. Remember a seat belt can also stop you tumbling around in a rolling bus and getting blended, as well as preventing forward thrust.

2 whole months to come up with a regulation regarding the use of seat belts. WHY SO LONG ? also interesting that the impending fines are astronomical by Thai standards which will provide a nice little earner for the BIB who are incapable of enforcing a suppository unless it is for personal gain. However, it is true that should his law hit the statutes it will go a long way in reducing the road carnage caused by bad driving and poor maintenance.