Minburi residents protest Saen Saeb boat route

webfact

Minburi Residents Protest Saen Saeb Boat Route

By Khaosod English

yls.jpg
PM Yingluck Shinawatra visiting Minburi's section of Saen Saeb Canal, 20 September 2013
Image source: Khaosod

BANGKOK: -- A group of residents of Minburi district have demanded that the Bangkok Metropolitan Authority (BMA) suspend its boat route along Saen Saeb Canal in the district due to the damage caused to the canal′s banks.

Speaking at Parliament House, Mr. Vichan Minchainant, a Pheu Thai MP, said he has received many complaints from the residents who live on the canal′s stretch of Bang Chan to Minburi market that the passing boats have caused erosion to the canal′s bank, threatening the safety of their residences and shops.

Mr. Vichan said the boats were part of a test run organised by the BMA which was supposed to have lasted only 6 months, but it has been 8 months and the boats are still running. He alleged that the residents have complained to the BMA many times, only to be ignored.

He added that he had discussed the issue with Senate Committee on Consumer Protection, the Marine Department, the BMA, and the Ministry of Transport.

The MP proposed that the Bangkok authority slow its boats along the three-kilometre stretch and organise a navigational plan that would not affect the local residents. Mr. Vichan also urged the Marine Department to renew the license of the operating boats, which has expired two months ago, and demanded that the BMA pay compensation to the residents.

If the BMA refuses to respond to the residents′ complaint by 18 October, Mr. Vichan said, he will proceed with a legal action against the authority.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE1qQXhNRFkwTXc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-10-18

High time the Govt actually utilised the canal route for serious, modern transportation. In its present form it's both dangerous and a health hazard.

You are joking? They would just close it down. It may be dirty but it's very useful.

• Like 1

I think the issue isn't the longstanding section where boats are run from Bangkapi into the centre.

That's got proper walls to the canal.

The problem is the bit to Minburi has sections with just earth banks, where either the boats should slow down so that they don't cause much damage, or the BMA should upgrade the canal walls.

When they first started running the boats from Wat Sribunruang to Minburi they were pretty careful about driving slowly to appease the local residents. It seems like as time has passed they've started running them a lot faster though. Many of the houses along the canal have big banners saying "please drive slowly" etc. hanging from them (in Thai obviously). Hopefully some kind of compromise can be reached, as the boats are a very useful service.

• Like 1

High time the Govt actually utilised the canal route for serious, modern transportation. In its present form it's both dangerous and a health hazard.

You are joking? They would just close it down. It may be dirty but it's very useful.

Of course it is useful. – Which is why it should be maintained. I am not joking.

However, if redesigned, strengthened, and just a modicum of lateral thinking applied to how it could best serve the population, it could be a major transport infrastructure asset and ease the increasing congestion of the capital

I am thinking hydrofoil, maybe solar battery powered, catamaran boats with less noise, less wake, better fuel economy and smaller engines.

And/Or, simply utilize the air space above the canal to run electric, eco-friendly maglev trains on suspended steel framed tracks.

Thailand could become a world leader in this respect, if the political will was diverted away from corruption and divisive policies, with genuine, altruistic thought given to the wellbeing of the general population instead.

What an opportunity missed.

• Like 1

They won't do it because nobody care the poor who use this canal and boat !

None of the people I know, who use the boats, are poor. They use the boats for traffic reasons, not economics.

• Like 1

In a land of chicanery a chicane obstacle every 400m would slow boats and ths erosion until proper embankments can be constrcted.

As there is endless money for water management and plenty of cheap labour seems lack of incentive willpower.

My expereince of "face' here is that carrot and stick is effective esp if the carrots are juicy.

I admit the exceptional tlerance/fear of Ferrari drivers and posh people are not so much exempt from rules as above them.

In a land of chicanery a chicane obstacle every 400m would slow boats and ths erosion until proper embankments can be constrcted.

Someone doesn't apparently doesn't ride the boats. These guys don't slow for bridge pilings and other obstacles!

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently the boats on the Wat Sribunruang to Minburi route are no longer running. I sometimes take the boat to work in the morning but when I went today they told me there was no boat. There was also a sign posted saying the boat was not in service. I don't know if this is permanent or only temporary, I didn't enquire much further as I had to hurry up and get to work. bah.gif

The regular Saen Saeb boat service going west from Wat Sri into the city is still going, this is only the service going East to Minburi.

"Mr. Vichan said the boats were part of a test run organised by the BMA which was supposed to have lasted only 6 months, but it has been 8 months and the boats are still running. He alleged that the residents have complained to the BMA many times, only to be ignored."

No doubt the residents are starting to smell something rotten in the deal, and it's not just the canal water...