Is my medication available in Thailand ? Information appreciated !

lovesomtam

Hi everyone,

Without going into too much detail , I had some heavy trauma in my life that has led to me taking medication for depression and anxiety.

I was put on various types of medication, but seem to have found the meds that work best for me.

I currently take a small dose of cymbalta for depression and for anxiety I take tizolam (marketed under the brand name Etilaam, Etizola, Sedekopan, Pasaden or Depas)

I have lived in Thailand previously , though drank lots of beer everyday to help me deal with my issues. I have since quit drinking and I am enjoying life much more - though I am still dependent on meds - not always - but at certain times I do need them to keep smiling - and sleeping !

I am planning to relocate back to Thailand and any information on the availability ( and also the cost) of the medication I use would be truly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any good advice.

you can make arrangements in your own country to get a regular supply delivered by courier...sometimes cheaper but always more reliable in terms of the quality of the medicine. However you need to be certain these are not prohibited imports here in LOS.

you can make arrangements in your own country to get a regular supply delivered by courier...sometimes cheaper but always more reliable in terms of the quality of the medicine. However you need to be certain these are not prohibited imports here in LOS.

Both these medications are "controlled" in Thailand.

Bringing a reasonable (say 30 days worth) personal supply would be OK providing the medication is in the original packaging, appropriately labeled and accompanied by an original, personal, doctors prescription/letter.

It would not otherwise be legal to import this medication.

• Like 2

as you are coming to relocate in thailand you shouldnt need any drugs,a thai wife will help you get over the depression and her family will help with the anxiety.your only concern would be going back to the bottle.biggrin.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys. I will not be relocating from my home country and the doctor I see here has already said he is not able to prescribe any more than one months medication.

Google says I can get it in Thailand , but confirming this would be nice. The cost would also be very handy to know.

Thanks again.

Etizolam to the best of my knowledge is not available in Thailand. Any similar medication(s) are only available by prescription via a hospital pharmacy.

The Duloxetine (Cymbalta) is available but only on prescription from a Thai hospital pharmacy.

Thanks so much for your reply.

If etizolum is not available I may have a problem :(

Also, I would appreciate any knowledge on an alternative medicine to etizolum if I cannot get it in Thailand

As Etizolam is a benzodiazepine type of medication no "alternative" would be easily available in Thailand.

Maybe you should talk to your doctor about an alternative and ask if he would give you a letter detailing your medication. You will need such a letter to help persuade a Thai Psychiatrist to prescribe for you. Even if a Thai doctor agrees to prescribe he/she will only do so in small quantities.

send an email to one of the big hospitals in bangkok or call their pharmacy.

Thanks.

Have done that ..... Still waiting on reply...

Lorazepam is equivalent to Etizolam. Prescription only in Thailand.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies guys. I will not be relocating from my home country and the doctor I see here has already said he is not able to prescribe any more than one months medication.

Google says I can get it in Thailand , but confirming this would be nice. The cost would also be very handy to know.

Thanks again.

Google is wrong and peddling wrong outdated info. sure even just a few years ago things were different. In 2000 you could get any of those meds by the jug. All were squeezed out and quickly so it's best to just realize this istead of hoping for this outdated pipe dream. We're on the ground here in BKK and know for a fact it's not available OTC.

send an email to one of the big hospitals in bangkok or call their pharmacy.

Thanks.

Have done that ..... Still waiting on reply...

Lorazepam is equivalent to Etizolam. Prescription only in Thailand.

Bingo, get to the right hospital and Dr and you may get some justice for your meds. It's the only possible way. I'd start at Bumrungrad to waste time and money

Etizolam to the best of my knowledge is not available in Thailand. Any similar medication(s) are only available by prescription via a hospital pharmacy.

The Duloxetine (Cymbalta) is available but only on prescription from a Thai hospital pharmacy.

As above re Cymbalta.

Etizolam is not available in Thailand and neither are any other drugs in the exact same class (benzo analogs). regular benzos are but tightly controlled and only from a hospital pharmacy.

• 3 months later...

I still don't know is Symbalta available in Thailand or not.I told my doctor from Pattaya Memorial Hospital that I need Symbalta .He called someone in Bangkok and gave mi Prozac,but it's different and I can't use it.

Edited by endi11

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I still don't know is Symbalta available in Thailand or not.I told my doctor from Pattaya Memorial Hospital that I need Symbalta .He called someone in Bangkok and gave mi Prozac,but it's different and I can't use it.

Ask about Duloxetine (The "proper" name) -- even better write that name on a piece of paper which can be given to the Dr.

This medication is available under many brand names including Cymbalta, Ariclaim, Xeristar, Yentreve, Duzela, Dulane and maybe even more.

Edited by olddoc

In Thailand it is available only in brand name Cymbalta (spelled with a C).

It is a "special controlled drug" so needs a prescription and will usually be available only from hospital pharmacies.

I don't know what type of doctor you saw at OPattaya Memorial but his lack of familiarity with the drug would give me pause.

Bangkok Pattaya Hospital is probably the most likely of Pattaya facilities to have this (no guarantee though), suggest you consult a psychiatrist there.

If they don't have it then Bumrungrad in Bangkok should.

In Thailand it is available only in brand name Cymbalta (spelled with a C).

It is a "special controlled drug" so needs a prescription and will usually be available only from hospital pharmacies.

I don't know what type of doctor you saw at OPattaya Memorial but his lack of familiarity with the drug would give me pause.

Bangkok Pattaya Hospital is probably the most likely of Pattaya facilities to have this (no guarantee though),

suggest you consult a psychiatrist there.

If they don't have it then Bumrungrad in Bangkok should.

I don't know what to say.I have been extremely sick for over a year now.He has been taking care of me the whole time..He did call someone in Bangkok and was told of Prozac which is not helpful.If it's allowed in Thailand can I order it as a mail order from internet?

I've been in terrible pain for more than 8 mo.and can't get rid of it.I've tried Pramadol and Morphin with no results.He gave me Gabapentin (just started it)They say it takes 2-4weeks to works.He gave me Anivan which is sleeping pill and only when I sleep don't feel this cruel pain.