Worms crawling out of my drain....

bamboozled

Thin (like spaghetti), pinkish-red worms, from an inch to three inches in length. The first time I saw them I had been away for awhile and came back and found coiled up balls of them in two of the toilets. I would flush them away and they would come back but less in mass. Now they are a constant in one toilet or coming up from the drain. They will crawl out of one of those two places and across the floor and up the wall. Eventually they die and dry up. They seem to be particularly active the past couple days perhaps due to the rain. Anyone know what they are and how to get rid of them? They're starting to rub me the wrong way.

Cheers...

post-44237-0-53328700-1382083563_thumb.j

post-44237-0-27866000-1382083578_thumb.j

...these seems to live in water unlike a garden worm....

Right, I haven't noticed them in the soil but they love hanging out by water - i.e. in the ceramic dishes that the potted plants sit in, on the tiles of our front and back porches during the rains, and anywhere else water pools up. They usually die after a couple of days. I really think they are harmless. They don't bother us at all.

I asked some Thai folks they said they were ghosts...................... Really, I've asked one and she has never seen them before. And I can flush many times but they come right back. And they are crawling out of the drain in the floor, as well. I've cleaned the bathroom with toxic chemicals but that doesn't deter them either. They must have colonized the pipes or something. Tasty on a sandwich, perhaps?

I'm liking the bleach idea.

Be careful using bleach or other chemicals in your drains. Many will have a negative effect on the enzyme cultures that keep your septic system in good order. If you kill off the enzyme cultures, your poop will not decompose properly and your system may back up. Then you will have to choose between a floor full of poop and a floor full of worms. You may want to start with just a spoonful around the drain itself to see if it is working. Do not resort to large quantities. Another possibility is to put a small ring of salt around the drain, as salt will kill the worms and they will tend to avoid it. As always, do not mix chemicals, as that can cause a toxic accumulation of fumes.

If your drains have traps as they should, either the spoonful of bleach or the salt should work.

Edited by Lobo4819
  • Like 1