Thailand hopeful of better ranking on human trafficking suppression

webfact

Thailand hopeful of better ranking on human trafficking suppression
By English News

13821528461451.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 19 – Deputy Prime Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana was assigned to lead an ad-hoc committee to prepare a report on Thailand’s human trafficking suppression and attempt to tackle the problem.

The move was aimed at improving Thailand’s ranking on human trafficking by the US government.

A government spokesman said yesterday that Thailand would have to show the world community its determination to solve the human trafficking problem.

Thailand will be required to submit reports to the US government in November and February next year to be updated in the Trafficking in Persons Report (TIP Report).

The TIP Report has kept Thailand on the Tier 2 watch list while the country has aimed for an upgrade to Tier 1.

The Thai government will soon impose human trafficking suppression as a key performance indication of every province, in an effort to build up confidence in the global community, said the spokesman.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will chair another meeting on November 4 to follow up on the Thai anti-human trafficking report before having it submitted to the US government. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-19

IF Thailand ever writes and submits a report it ought to be a hilarious read i.e. no facts/ hopes/ and maybe a stated intention to become the Hub of human rights/ anti trafficking. Oh and I wouldn't be shocked if the November deadline is turned in in Feb. if at all. Seriously when has Thailand ever done anything anywhere OTHER than talk talk talk????

IF Thailand ever writes and submits a report it ought to be a hilarious read i.e. no facts/ hopes/ and maybe a stated intention to become the Hub of human rights/ anti trafficking. Oh and I wouldn't be shocked if the November deadline is turned in in Feb. if at all. Seriously when has Thailand ever done anything anywhere OTHER than talk talk talk????

Indeed. They are hopeful of a better ranking. Of course, they don't think they actually have to do anything to achieve it, other than come up with more glib statements supported by meaningless unsubstantiated figures. The PM/DM will no doubt incorporate some positive comments into her next overseas speech - champions of democracy, anti-trafficking, anti-copying and hub of all things wise. Same Same - Talk Talk. Only a few white lies and all sabai sabai.

There's no doubt that the US "Customs and Border Protection" police have a hard on for Thailand. If you are an American male, taking your Thai wife or fiance back home to see the USA, I hope you don't encounter the extremely abusive treatment that my wife received at their hands this year. It's too long a story for this forum, but she was put in a federal jail overnight, and deported the next day, all while holding a valid US tourist visa. Another young Thai lady on the same plane as ours was treated even worse. They can and do put you in a cold cell without a bed, and refuse to tell your relatives where you are being held.

This quote from above makes me laugh: "These people may not be perfect, the organization is not perfect, but they are doing a fine job given what they have....and the limitations put on them by politicians."

Oh please! They are now the largest police force in America, and feel and act as if there are no limitations on their power. Go on youtube and see and hear all of the stories of people being insulted and abused by them every day. Every one of these "officers" is dressed all in black, and carry a 9mm automatic pistol, a set of cuff, pepper splay, and a collapsible baton. Some of them are OK, fair and courteous, but too many are fascistic thugs.

I'm sorry that Thailand feels a need to suck up to this abusive organization. ("Dept. of Homeland Security"...the worst.)

Thailand will be required to submit reports to the US government in November and February next year to be updated in the Trafficking in Persons Report

I find it very interesting that the US government requires Thailand to submit a report, when the US government does little or nothing to eliminate the thousands of people being illegally trafficked in the US every day..In the US the government does not count them as persons being trafficked, they are undocumented workers. There are many lobbies in Washington DC paying members of congress to do nothing.

I'm an American and frankly I'm tired of my government trying to be the watchdog/policeman of the world. It's high time we turned that honor over to say...China or Russia. Let them have a go at it.

• Like 2

There's no doubt that the US "Customs and Border Protection" police have a hard on for Thailand. If you are an American male, taking your Thai wife or fiance back home to see the USA, I hope you don't encounter the extremely abusive treatment that my wife received at their hands this year. It's too long a story for this forum, but she was put in a federal jail overnight, and deported the next day, all while holding a valid US tourist visa. Another young Thai lady on the same plane as ours was treated even worse. They can and do put you in a cold cell without a bed, and refuse to tell your relatives where you are being held.

This quote from above makes me laugh: "These people may not be perfect, the organization is not perfect, but they are doing a fine job given what they have....and the limitations put on them by politicians."

Oh please! They are now the largest police force in America, and feel and act as if there are no limitations on their power. Go on youtube and see and hear all of the stories of people being insulted and abused by them every day. Every one of these "officers" is dressed all in black, and carry a 9mm automatic pistol, a set of cuff, pepper splay, and a collapsible baton. Some of them are OK, fair and courteous, but too many are fascistic thugs.

I'm sorry that Thailand feels a need to suck up to this abusive organization. ("Dept. of Homeland Security"...the worst.)

You lost me when you said 9mm. That's the NATO caliber, used mostly in Europe and it's wimpy. It is the equivalent of a .38 special in a revolver.

The DHS uses .40 S&W, usually in a Glock 17.

So I have a problem with the rest of your "facts."

If you wonder why they have so many employees, with much of it being office and administrative, here's what's under it's umbrella.

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services

U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Federal Emergency Management Agency

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Transportation Security Administration

United States Coast Guard

National Protection and Programs Directorate

United States Secret Service

Link

Edited by NeverSure

Agreed! If a report sounds like the PTP politicians speak. We urge, we hope, we suggest, are these the words of people that want to enforce laws and treaties that they are involved in? I for one, urge, suggest, and hope the PTP will stop talking about anything and do something about anything that has to do with the needs of the people of Thailand they Speak so highly of.

Sorry, I am not a firearms expert. All I saw was a "Glock type" automatic strapped to the belt of every one of these officers at the Seatac Airport Port of Entry. I can assure you that I have told the truth about what happened to us. Rude, abusive treatment, entirely uncalled for.

On an earlier visit, as we were boarding our return flight, at the very door to the plane, at the end of the tunnel, a CBP cop pulled my wife aside and asked her how much money she was carrying. I stepped off with her, and we were able to show the guy that my wife was not carrying cash or contraband. I think his true intention was just to chat her up. he seemed surprised to see me.

If you ever have the experience of being jacked around by these...people, you won't forget it.

Thailand will be required to submit reports to the US government in November and February next year to be updated in the Trafficking in Persons Report

I find it very interesting that the US government requires Thailand to submit a report, when the US government does little or nothing to eliminate the thousands of people being illegally trafficked in the US every day..In the US the government does not count them as persons being trafficked, they are undocumented workers. There are many lobbies in Washington DC paying members of congress to do nothing.

Nope. There's a clear legal difference between undocumented workers, who are classified as "smuggled" and trafficked, which are sold and enslaved.

Sorry, I am not a firearms expert. All I saw was a "Glock type" automatic strapped to the belt of every one of these officers at the Seatac Airport Port of Entry. I can assure you that I have told the truth about what happened to us. Rude, abusive treatment, entirely uncalled for.

On an earlier visit, as we were boarding our return flight, at the very door to the plane, at the end of the tunnel, a CBP cop pulled my wife aside and asked her how much money she was carrying. I stepped off with her, and we were able to show the guy that my wife was not carrying cash or contraband. I think his true intention was just to chat her up. he seemed surprised to see me.

If you ever have the experience of being jacked around by these...people, you won't forget it.

"Glock" type = 9mm? and I think you were dealing with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) who do get lots of complaints since 9/11. They are the people at the airport who screen and yes can arrest people going through airports. So can the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents.

They have blue uniforms. The border patrol agents I've seen along the Mexican border wear white shirts with their uniforms because it's so danged hot down there. They'll have very dry days that hit 120 F.

I just think your description of the nature of the agency is over the top. I'm OK with you describing what happened to your wife, and sorry about it, but I'm not OK with exaggerating or mistyping the nature of the agencies.

Here's something to listen to over your morning coffee, concerning Homeland Security, CBP, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Vo91XS5pVj8

The point: if you have a Thai wife, gf, or fiance, if you take her to America, be ready to get hassled as a possible "trafficker", (the original subject here) or even pimp. SE Asian people get rough treatment by these guys every day.

Why should Thailand report to the US, rather than the UN?

"Glock" type = 9mm? and I think you were dealing with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) who do get lots of complaints since 9/11. They are the people at the airport who screen and yes can arrest people going through airports. So can the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents.

They have blue uniforms. The border patrol agents I've seen along the Mexican border wear white shirts with their uniforms because it's so danged hot down there. They'll have very dry days that hit 120 F.

I just think your description of the nature of the agency is over the top. I'm OK with you describing what happened to your wife, and sorry about it, but I'm not OK with exaggerating or mistyping the nature of the agencies."

The people who screen you coming off an international flight into the USA are Customs and Border Protection agents, not the lesser, low wage TSA grunts. That's a whole other repulsive story. I do know the difference between CPB, ICE, TSA, and the Border Patrol.

I love America, my native land, but the Patriot Act has created a monster, and has generally pushed the USA toward being a police state.

"The move was aimed at improving Thailand’s ranking on human trafficking by the US government."

The aim should be to eliminate human trafficking because it is an affront to humanity, not to save face and look good in the international community. Don't be surprised if all that is accomplished is that they hide the human trafficking activities better than they did in the past.

Not one word about doing any thing in the article to stop the practice.

"BANGKOK, Oct 19 – Deputy Prime Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana was assigned to lead an ad-hoc committee to prepare a report on Thailand’s human trafficking suppression and attempt to tackle the problem.

The move was aimed at improving Thailand’s ranking on human trafficking by the US government."

An attempt to tackle the problem. Same as the peace talk with the southern terrorists. I like what an older gentelman back home said.

He said stop trying just do it.

The only thing that this government is doing is to try to ignore it rather than work on it so that they can show progress. They have had more than enough time to form committees to study it and come up with solutions to lesson the problem.

according to the Global Slavery Index Thailand is placed seventh for the number of slaves in the country. Not the worst but still nothing to be proud of!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-24560937.

http://www.globalslaveryindex.org/findings/#overview

I also appreciate that being the first index report their accuracy may be questionable, in which way is also questionable!

Edited by ggold