Only 189 volts!

Eagleizer

Should we be concerned about this or not? How low can it get before my stereo, computer or TV get fried?

And: Anyone know why we get so low volt in Pattaya? (heard something about a powerplant in China that

was renovating, but that is at least 5 months ago..)

At about 15% low it's certainly no going to do your kit any good, although it's unlikely to cause instant death.

Get an AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator) for each piece of technology (sometime called a stabiliser) ensure it has enough oomph (Watts or Amps) for the kit you plug in.

We have a 2kVA unit which supplies a 2kVA UPS which feeds designated outlets around the house.

• Like 1

You don't need a UPS, a small AVR costs a couple of K Baht.

Is this low voltage something that's started recently? We are not in Pattaya but we have occasional forays down to 150V (currently it's 231V).

Is this low voltage something that's started recently? We are not in Pattaya but we have occasional forays down to 150V (currently it's 231V).

Thanks for the AVR tip! :)

I bought the UPS in january, then it was 210 volts. It`s been going down steadily since then.

It has been below 200 since april/may.. I have not seen it over 192 for the last two months,

and I have the meter beside my screen, so I see it all the time.. ;)

Thanks for the AVR tip! smile.png

I bought the UPS in january, then it was 210 volts. It`s been going down steadily since then.

It has been below 200 since april/may.. I have not seen it over 192 for the last two months,

and I have the meter beside my screen, so I see it all the time.. wink.png

If it's constantly low have a word with your supply authority (MEA or PEA) they have a duty to keep within +- 10% (198-242V).

Thanks for the AVR tip! smile.png

and I have the meter beside my screen, so I see it all the time.. wink.png

If it's constantly low have a word with your supply authority (MEA or PEA) they have a duty to keep within +- 10% (198-242V).

often the lines+load on the transformer is too high. If they up the last customer to 200 Volt the first customer on the transformer get 250 Volt...

Anyway many good quality electronic aren't sensitive. Some can do 100-250 Volt 50-60 Hz (use in USA and European system).

Its another Thai scam against farangs...they promise 220V which your paying for, but only give you 189 Volts

Sorry couldnt resist ...LOLbiggrin.png

I guess it isn't wrong...Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but the meter measures the Ampere that pass, or and with less voltage you get less Wh than it shows and you pay?

Its another Thai scam against farangs...they promise 220V which your paying for, but only give you 189 Volts

I guess it isn't wrong...Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but the meter measures the Ampere that pass, or and with less voltage you get less Wh than it shows and you pay?

Both voltage and current are measured concurrently in the electric meters to give a power reading. So running at a lower voltage there are two factors that are changed depending on if the load is unregulated such as a heating element. The lower voltage means lower current thus cheaper utility bill for these types of devices. Regulated devices such as TVs, etc. are not the same as they will still use the same amount of power just the current on the line will go up as the incoming voltage goes down (up to a limit).

Both voltage and current are measured concurrently in the electric meters to give a power reading. So running at a lower voltage there are two factors that are changed depending on if the load is unregulated such as a heating element. The lower voltage means lower current thus cheaper utility bill for these types of devices. Regulated devices such as TVs, etc. are not the same as they will still use the same amount of power just the current on the line will go up as the incoming voltage goes down (up to a limit).

Thanks for the correction, I thought only the Amps are monitored...just looked it up.

For the unregulated heating element, say a water heater for the teawater in the kitchen: what it uses less electric ..it needs longer so it will be the same again.

Something like the shower heater, if not temperature regulated, you would simply turn higher.

For the unregulated heating element, say a water heater for the teawater in the kitchen: what it uses less electric ..it needs longer so it will be the same again.

Something like the shower heater, if not temperature regulated, you would simply turn higher.

Yep. thumbsup.gif

Yep. thumbsup.gif

Sometimes things that seem to be simple are simple.....tongue.png