Transferring everything to a new computer?

giddyup

I'd like to get a new desktop computer as my laptop is over 3 years old and starting to develop a couple of problems. However the thought of trying to transfer all my files and programmes onto a new computer is a bit daunting for a novice like me. Is it something that I can do myself or should I leave it to an expert?

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i was you i would create a system backup and then restore it onto the new PC, check out this video to see if its something you can do..

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/back-up-your-programs-system-settings-and-files

Does this also works if the hardware of the new PC isn't identically to the old pc ?

Edited by MJCM

If i was you i would create a system backup and then restore it onto the new PC, check out this video to see if its something you can do..

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/back-up-your-programs-system-settings-and-files

Does this also works if the hardware of the new PC isn't identically to the old pc ?

It's not recommended by Microsoft but it does work and worth a go if your a novice and want to go it alone, another option is to download ccleaner from ccleaner.com open it then go to tools then uninstall tab and then click save to text file which will write all installed programs to a text file, take that's exit file on a USB stick into the shop where the OP is buying new PC and pay the guys a few hundred extra to install all files from the text file.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

To be honest usually that does not work that way. Usually it means reinstalling the programs again and put the settings back they were. That way things work smoothly, you can of course back up things like your documents and emails. Programs is usually something you have to install again.

I am certainly no novice but its still a big task (time consuming) but doable if you know what your doing.

To be honest usually that does not work that way. Usually it means reinstalling the programs again and put the settings back they were. That way things work smoothly, you can of course back up things like your documents and emails. Programs is usually something you have to install again.

I am certainly no novice but its still a big task (time consuming) but doable if you know what your doing.

A full system backup/restore will put your machine exactly as it was program settings documents file structure the only question is is it reliable cross hardware

First, your Windows can't be OEM tied to your specific machine. You do have a Windows disk and you can install it on any machine.

Yes, you can fool around with sysprep, device manager, and registry tweaks and MIGHT be able to restore your current installation to different hardware. If it doesn't work, then you can use your Windows disk to do a "repair installation." Repair installations almost always work.

But me, I wouldn't so fool around. I'd just use something like Acronis, Paragon Hard Disk Manager, Macrium Redeploy (all payware) to image/restore or clone your current installation to the dissimilar hardware. Quick, easy, efficient, reliable. YES, the restoration works just fine--pay no attention to the reinstall fanatics here.

Edited by JSixpack

A full system backup/restore will put your machine exactly as it was program settings documents file structure the only question is is it reliable cross hardware

That is what I am talking about cross hardware.. its great as a backup.. but not when you got a totally new computer.

First, your Windows can't be OEM tied to your specific machine. You do have a Windows disk and you can install it on any machine.

Yes, you can fool around with sysprep and registry tweaks and MIGHT be able to restore your current installation to different hardware. If it doesn't work, then you can use your Windows disk to do a "repair installation." Repair installations almost always work.

But me, I wouldn't so fool around. I'd just use something like Acronis, Paragon Hard Disk Manager, Macrium Redeploy (all payware) to image/restore or clone your current installation to the dissimilar hardware. Quick, easy, efficient, reliable. YES, the restoration works just fine--pay no attention to the reinstall fanatics here.

If you say so, I am no reinstall fanatic but I build more then my fair share of computers (as a computer seller). Things might have changed but back then it was not advised to do this cross systems.

Buy an external hard drive and transfer all info to this first then back onto new computer

or buy mac put all files up to icloud.

If you buy a Mac pay the extra few bucks and let the people at the Apple store perform the data transfer for you.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Yes, you can fool around with sysprep and registry tweaks and MIGHT be able to restore your current installation to different hardware. If it doesn't work, then you can use your Windows disk to do a "repair installation." Repair installations almost always work.

If you say so, I am no reinstall fanatic but I build more then my fair share of computers (as a computer seller). Things might have changed but back then it was not advised to do this cross systems.

Such advice abounds. You'll also encounter many who reinstall their Windows as a matter of routine. System slowing down? Reinstall! :) Been a year now? Reinstall!

Some folks just have too much time on their hands. :)

I should have added but figured it was obvious that after the restoration to dissimilar hardware, you have to install the latest drivers for that hardware. Sorted!

• Like 1

Such advice abounds. You'll also encounter many who reinstall their Windows as a matter of routine. System slowing down? Reinstall! smile.png Been a year now? Reinstall!

Some folks just have too much time on their hands. smile.png

I should have added but figured it was obvious that after the restoration to dissimilar hardware, you have to install the latest drivers for that hardware. Sorted!

Since windows 7 (legal copy) i haven't had to re-install anymore. Your advice might work or it might not. I am not sure with the current hardware. 7 years ago I would not have done it that way. Now I am not sure you might be right.

I can't say that I know for sure but I knew for sure back then (even with changing the drivers)

Yes, restoring Windows on a different hardware works. (Acronis / Ghost /etc)

In the worst case, you have to perform a "repair install" via your Windows DVD.

I can remember, when I bought a Laptop at Pantip 6-7 years ago.

The vendor booted the new Laptop via Network and copied a "generic" Image (with Win XP, office, some programs and tools, etc..) on it, via Ghost.

After a restart, he inserted a driver CD, installed the necessary drivers and the Laptop was ready to go.

All in all ~20 minutes.

• Like 1

Your advice might work or it might not. I am not sure with the current hardware.

It totally works. Did 3 PCs just recently, with lots of programs installed, using Paragon. Love that program. And they have all been running great since. One of them runs 24/7.

So I'm sure.

In your case, though, there is ONE AND ONLY ONE WAY you can be sure.

Until then, you must suffer in a state of doubt, I'm afraid. :) So I'm not sure what your contribution to this thread is, except perhaps to add your support to the reinstall brigade. Yes, we all know that a new reinstall works. The OP knows that already.

Davejones hit the nail on the head! If you transfer everything you transfer the rubbish too and will end up with a poor performing computer from the start.

I would buy an external Hard drive - and very importantly one that you can access the disk - not a sealed one.

Then, write down all the programs you use and where the data is 90+% will be in my docs.

Copy all your data to the new external hard drive and copy them back to the new PC. (There is a "Windows Easy Transfer2 built in to windows if you wish to use it).

Then I'd put the hard drive from your old computer into the external hard drive so you can access any files you've missed or forgotten as there will be some :-)

Good luck.

If you transfer everything you transfer the rubbish too

What rubbish exactly? Why can't it be deleted before the transfer?

Let's be quite specific about what the rubbish is, why it can't be deleted, why deleting it would take more time than newly reinstalling EVERYTHING, and what harm it would do anyway.

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

and will end up with a poor performing computer from the start.

No, performance is at least as good as on the old machine, perhaps better owing to updated drivers.

What the OP wants is to avoid is reinstalling Win and his programs. and reconfiguring all his programs. A commendable aim indeed. And easily and painlessly achievable nowadays.

I would buy an external Hard drive - and very importantly one that you can access the disk - not a sealed one.

Then, write down all the programs you use and where the data is 90+% will be in my docs.

Copy all your data to the new external hard drive and copy them back to the new PC. (There is a "Windows Easy Transfer2 built in to windows if you wish to use it).

Then I'd put the hard drive from your old computer into the external hard drive so you can access any files you've missed or forgotten as there will be some :-)

Good luck.

What a colossal waste of time and money.

I especially love the write down all the programs you use. Says it all really. :)

• Like 1

Your advice might work or it might not. I am not sure with the current hardware.

It totally works. Did 3 PCs just recently, with lots of programs installed, using Paragon. Love that program. And they have all been running great since. One of them runs 24/7.

So I'm sure.

In your case, though, there is ONE AND ONLY ONE WAY you can be sure.

Until then, you must suffer in a state of doubt, I'm afraid. smile.png So I'm not sure what your contribution to this thread is, except perhaps to add your support to the reinstall brigade. Yes, we all know that a new reinstall works. The OP knows that already.

When just copying a system image to a new drive on a new computer, it may not boot. I've had this problem before. There are some systems where the motherboard drivers aren't compatible with the chip-set used on the motherboard.

Yes with Paragon Hard Disk Manager 12 Suite, you can make your system bootable on different hardware. Hard Disk Manager makes your system bootable when migrating to new hardware by automatically injecting the required drivers into your operating system.

But keep in mind, when Windows 7 boots up on another motherboard, it will detected a change in motherboards. The system will become de-activated. Windows 7 (OEM version) is tied to the first motherboard you install it on. It can't be transferred to another computer. You can't activate it on another computer! You can only do a clean install! Most likely if your Windows 7 on the laptop came pre-installed, it's the OEM version.

However Windows 7 (Retail version) can be transferred to another computer. When the activation fails, you can contact Microsoft to obtain a new product key.

Edited by BB1950
  • Like 1

I bought a new computer,

I had free delivery and free transferring.

it took 15 minutes. He knew what to do !

Gave the man 200 bath tip.

He was very happy !

That sounds exactly what I want! Where did you buy from?

At least one of the problems with reinstalling software is that increasingly software publishers only allow a few reinstallations, especially on some of the pricier stuff. I have run into this problem with Adobe Acrobat Professional. After a couple of hard drives had to be replaced, I had unknowingly used up my allotment of reinstallations and when I bought a replacement computer, the installation couldn't be "activated" or whatever lingo they used. I called them up and after some bitching they allowed it. They probably make a lot of extra sales that way, with people just plunking down another $500 for a new copy rather than contacting the software publisher.

I do this quite a bit. Nowadays, I archive all my programs on an external hard drive. If you bought these programs, they might be protected. The majority of my programs are "portable". They can run off a USB storage device. Most everything you use day to day is available as portable. That way you just plug it in your new machine and you are already set to go.

Drivers are the most important, but there are plenty of free Driver programs that will help you download drivers. Your new computer should come with an operating system and a driver cd. Over here, the operating system might be pirated... you will want an antivirus program to scan and remove the viruses.

As far as mirroring your hard drive, you need "Migration" software... you cannot just mirror your hard drive operating system and then boot it up on another computer. The drivers must be installed.

For the future, get yourself a USB flash drive (they are cheap) to put portable programs and file onto. Get one with enough storage space.

One last thing... I can boot up off a USB flash drive using Linux Lucid Puppy. The operating system loads into RAM and runs fast. If you are just using a browser and listening to music/watching videos....it is just fine. I bring mine to the store when I buy a computer and plug it in to see how the computer works. When I bring it home, I put windows on one partition, and documents/photos/videos etc on a second partition.

Thank, it looks like I should buy an external hard drive first though.

Sounds like you've never backed up your computer. You do like to live dangerously, huh?

You definitely need to take your present computer to where ever you buy your new computer and have a professional do the transfer for you. BUT, no matter who does what, make sure you backup everything on a separate drive before you do anything.

And, FWIW, why buy a desktop computer? Fewer and fewer people are doing so because there's no real need anymore. You can easily buy a laptop that's as powerful as 95% of any desktop out there.

Myself, I have a fully-decked-out MacBook Pro with which I travel back and forth between the USA and Thailand .. plus several other countries ... and on my desks in Thailand and in USA I have a 30" display which I very easily hook up to my laptop. Also, have a small 1 terabyte hard disk for backing up. It's the best of all worlds.

• Like 1

Sounds like you've never backed up your computer. You do like to live dangerously, huh?

You definitely need to take your present computer to where ever you buy your new computer and have a professional do the transfer for you. BUT, no matter who does what, make sure you backup everything on a separate drive before you do anything.

And, FWIW, why buy a desktop computer? Fewer and fewer people are doing so because there's no real need anymore. You can easily buy a laptop that's as powerful as 95% of any desktop out there.

Myself, I have a fully-decked-out MacBook Pro with which I travel back and forth between the USA and Thailand .. plus several other countries ... and on my desks in Thailand and in USA I have a 30" display which I very easily hook up to my laptop. Also, have a small 1 terabyte hard disk for backing up. It's the best of all worlds.

I already have a laptop but I wanted something with a bigger screen. Besides, the computer only gets used at home so a I really don't need anything portable.

Start with a clean OS install on your new computer, and install any programs you need..

Take the hard disk out of the old PC and buy an external USB case to suit.

When you need something off the old disk, just plug it in to USB and copy the files across

(you can't copy programs across of course).

Don't bother with getting the supplier to transfer everything. He doesn't know your computing habits, so he is sure to miss something important.

You might not realise this for weeks, but if you still have the old disk you are saved.

You might need to buy a cheap replacement disk for the old computer if you want to sell it or give it away, but hard drives are very cheap these days.

Edited by jackflash

Not at anywhere near comparable prices though. Getting a tablet that is feature and performance par with my desktop is going to cost significantly more. Then there is the future proofing. Buy a notebook, need more performance in the next couple of years, buy a new notebook. Desktop/workstation - upgrade CPU or Mainboard or Memory or Drive (SSD) or graphics card as needed. Some of the upcoming games are not going to fair well on the majority of notebooks. My workstation will probably only need a graphics card update for the new game(s) coming out in Nov/Dec. Basically, lots of reasons still to have a desktop. Most I know will have both for different reasons.

• Like 1

Buy an external hard drive and transfer all info to this first then back onto new computer

or buy mac put all files up to icloud.

I bought a 1.5 Tb external hard drive. It's made by Western Digital and is set up for backups, but I also copy everything. It'll be a while before I fill 1.5Tb!

But firstly, hook your computer and Hard Drive to a UPS. These are so cheap, and worth having for protection against voltage surges or even stopping in the middle of a back up.

Download Clonezilla (http://clonezilla.org/), which is a free Linux based hard disk clone software, you burn the ISO file to a CD-rom disk. Connect the two hard drives to a computer and boot from DVD/CD-ROM drive and clone Hard disk sda to sdb. After this you install the cloned hard disk back into the computer/notebook and start MS Windows (with MS Windows 7 or 8 you not even need extra other software to resize the partition)....