Business Man Stuck Inside His Sports Car At Central Mall for three hours

Rimmer

Did anyone consider disconnecting the battery ? I think that there is a safety measure build in that when you lose battery power, the locks are automatically deactivated.

Unlikely.

All a theif has to do is pop the hood and disconnect the battery and all doors open?

Battery's in the boot.

You need to be in the car to open the bonnet anyway, they don't just "pop" open from the outside.

The car in the car park looks like a SLK R172. Not a big difference to a SL in Thailand, just 7-8 Million THB...

Kind of funny how many CBR and Jazz drivers som nam na the poor guy. It's obvious that the car had a technical problem, as you can always unlock a Mercedes (like most cars) from the inside. There is a lock/unlock button in the door panel.

• Like 2

Did anyone consider disconnecting the battery ? I think that there is a safety measure build in that when you lose battery power, the locks are automatically deactivated.

Yes; PeterSmiles: correct, and with that you have just made the ONLY intelligent statement on this entire post ! !

Step 1. Tell the guy in the car to release the bonnet, so it can be opened,

Step 2. Disconnect either one of the battery-pole and . . . . "Click" the entire car is accessible instantly.

Good on you mate !

coffee1.gif

What an idiot.

I think that is a bit unfair. I think many of us have locked ourselves out at some time in our life. I once lost my keys on a beach in England luckily they were found and handed in to the police. Was I an idiot? I don't think so these thing happen.

Big difference between locked out and locked in. PRAT comes to mind...

• Like 1

I have always been suspicious of anything more complex than the sort of remote locking that I have on my pick-up. I can lock/unlock the doors using the remote on the key but if all else fails (which I'm sure it will one day) the key is still a key and I can open and lock the door manually with it if I need to.

I am doubly suspicious of keyless starter buttons. Just one more pointless thing to go wrong and entail a hugely expensive trip to the dealer.

• Like 1

I have always been suspicious of anything more complex than the sort of remote locking that I have on my pick-up. I can lock/unlock the doors using the remote on the key but if all else fails (which I'm sure it will one day) the key is still a key and I can open and lock the door manually with it if I need to.

I am doubly suspicious of keyless starter buttons. Just one more pointless thing to go wrong and entail a hugely expensive trip to the dealer.

That sounds like my father when electric windows were becoming common !...

The keyless entry comes with a key.. its hidden away inside the key-fob, the car can still be opened conventionally if necessary.

A greater issue would be getting around the immobiliser, but you will have had that on your motor for years already and are thus no longer worried.

Pushbutton start is a bit of gimmick, but it has its convenience and also drawbacks (i.e. valet parking your car and the remote key is still in your pocket - the valet drives off, you walk off with the key - I'm not sure what happens after that.. will have to give it a try !).

In this case - I suspect the GF might have walked off with the key in her handbag while the guy was left in the car (for whatever imaginable reasons)

That sounds like my father when electric windows were becoming common !...

The keyless entry comes with a key.. its hidden away inside the key-fob, the car can still be opened conventionally if necessary.

This was my point. I have nothing against such a device as long as one retains the manual option. Electric windows seem to be good for the life of the car these days, though they probably dont cost much to replace if they do go wrong. And of course not being able to open the window isnt normally much of a problem.

Pushbutton start is a bit of gimmick, but it has its convenience and also drawbacks (i.e. valet parking your car and the remote key is still in your pocket - the valet drives off, you walk off with the key - I'm not sure what happens after that.. will have to give it a try !).

I would say a total gimmick. I cant see the point at all and, as I mentioned, you can bet that it costs a bomb to fix it when it goes wrong.

I have never had a car key go wrong in a lifetime of driving.

• Like 1

Ah! The perceived wisdom of the superior falang.

Makes you feel good, eh, boys?

Show me a story of a falang being locked INSIDE his Merc for 3 hours then!!!!!!!

Exactly. Since I have never heard of this happening anywhere in the world, nor can I find a similar story anywhere online, one can only assume that the people in this story are particularly 'gifted', as with many people in stories that come out of the Thai press.

• Like 1

What an idiot.

I think that is a bit unfair. I think many of us have locked ourselves out at some time in our life. I once lost my keys on a beach in England luckily they were found and handed in to the police. Was I an idiot? I don't think so these thing happen.

Locked yourself out, not IN???

I was locked IN a BMW wagon when I was in Europe years ago ,

I borrowed the BMW from my friend , stopped for a nap smile.png and then tried to open the door !

Locked ! and the electric windows would also not roll down......ummmm

So I am stuck , so I crawled in the back , pulled the rear door panel and unlocked it by hand......

But if it was a 4 door sedan I would still be stuck !

When I told my friend he laughed and said he got stuck in Germany in the same car and had to call ADAC auto club to get him out !

and since the door windows do not roll down you cannot hand the key to someone else to open the door for you !

it only happened once to me , but it can happen , and I am still not sure how or why !

OHHH and we are both "Car Guys" and both own too many old cars :)

Edited by BKKdreaming