why so much negativity about Thailand and its ppl?

Crazy chef 1

I think most of the griping is more or less what people would do in their home countries, but it is easily changed into a us/them type mentality. Back in your country of origin, you might feel you got mistreated at a shop, for example, and then post online or tell friends about it and that would be that. Here, you have the added element of you being different from everyone, so, instead of "this guy at the store was completely unreasonable" turns into "this thai guy at the store was completely unreasonable."

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figure there are a lot of narrow-minded, racist people on TV. They are not abroad because they like it, but sitting out retirement in a warm place with cheap booze and women sure beats wherever home is in most cases.

FK, you are seriously barking up the wrong tree. I for one have been harping on my fellow TV posters forever, telling them to knock it off with the nonsensical racist comments. But it never ends. I myself have shown my Thai colleagues at work some of the more ridiculous posts on these threads. And yes, the respect for farangs in Thailand continues to diminish. We have but ourselves to blame.

Thais aren't a race, so if you bad mouth Thais, but don't generally bad mouth Asians/Indians, then you aren't a racist.

Extremely faulty thought process, I do not see your point of reasoning, I think that would be a prime example of racist thought,

Like someone in Durban, would say Apartheid was not discriminatory, As Blacks do not deserve human rights..

The same thing to me.

Cheers:tongue.png

• Like 1

Nontabury.

I have Never stated any where on the Forum that problems do not exist in Thailand, I have only stated that I love Thailand, If there was a need I would fight for Thailand, I have a great life in Thailand. Please show me the post you posted this response to, any of my post that stated what you assume "yet you seem to refuse its existence" and your assuming I have a very sheltered life here. Truthfully you based that on your assumptions not on anything I have ever posted.

What kind of a sheltered life you assume I live, in a remote Rice farming village, as the only Farang in my village. Who and what sheltered me from the village Thai's, I live with them every day of my life for going on nine years now. I eat with them, drink with them, dance with them, work with them and help them say good bye to their loved one that passed away.

I have stated I have not had ANY problems with the Thai's or Thailand in over the decade I have lived here in Thailand. The problems I did have here was all with drunk Farang's in Pattaya, prior to moving out to the country.

You also seem like a decent person that has paid to much attention of what other say about me and not the opinions that I actually posted to. Please go back to all of my post if you want and show me exactly what I have posted that you disagree with as long as you keep your post civil I will also keep them civil..

I am the only Farang my Thai family knows, as posters were stating that all Thai use the word "Farang" as an insult and I had 15 Thai family members, I asked them did they use the word farang as an insult. all 15 answered no and they wanted to know why I asked that question and I showed them the post (translated to Thai), Some butt ***e, who became a member ten days ago, thought it was a violation of Forum policy, that policy clearly state:

"When you post in any forum on ThaiVisa,you are granting a licence to ThaiVisa.com to display that post publicly."

While surfing the Web I have encountered a number of my post on the web, that TV posted publicly. as public information.

I have never experienced any type of discrimination aimed at me or my family, mind you In my own experience, how can I tell my family of "discrimination" that I have never experienced,

I served as a Commissioner on the Pima Commission on Human Relations, that was tasked in addressing discrimination in the county that covers the city on Tucson Az. as such I am well versed on what constitutes discrimination, according to the Laws of the United States!

If there is any question you have that you desire a direct answer to, PM me , and I will answer it but also show that it is something "I" posted, as your post was civil, my answer will also be,

Cheers:wai2.gif

Edited by kikoman
  • Like 1

Analogy of parents and children is a bit weak to me. The point with children is they eventually grow up.

That is the point. Some children grow out of their childish ways to become your normal Joe Soap. Some don't and take them with them, to deny blame, responsibility and discipline. Isn't this what most of the bashing is about?

• Like 1

I have never experienced any type of discrimination aimed at me or my family, mind you In my own experience, how can I tell my family of "discrimination" that I have never experienced,

I'm guessing here, but I don't think you are white skinned, so no 'farang' discrimination, because you aren't 'farang'.

I figure there are a lot of narrow-minded, racist people on TV. They are not abroad because they like it, but sitting out retirement in a warm place with cheap booze and women sure beats wherever home is in most cases.

FK, you are seriously barking up the wrong tree. I for one have been harping on my fellow TV posters forever, telling them to knock it off with the nonsensical racist comments. But it never ends. I myself have shown my Thai colleagues at work some of the more ridiculous posts on these threads. And yes, the respect for farangs in Thailand continues to diminish. We have but ourselves to blame.

Thais aren't a race, so if you bad mouth Thais, but don't generally bad mouth Asians/Indians, then you aren't a racist.

Extremely faulty thought process, I do not see your point of reasoning, I think that would be a prime example of racist thought,

Like someone in Durban, would say Apartheid was not discriminatory, As Blacks do not deserve human rights..

The same thing to me.

Cheers:Posted Image

So, according to the opinions of the righteous kikoman, every white South African is a racist and a supporter of apartheid?

What a pathetic individual!

As we colonials used to say "The poor chap has gone native"

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Commander Tamson,

Your response is a classic example of Assuming what my post in fact states. A simple mention of the word Apartheid is some how the same as stating that "every white South African is a racist and supporter of apartheid". go figure!

This is the very dynamic's that is what is behind the negative feelings towards Thai's on TV.

A simple case of overt paranoia.

Also illicit personal attack against the poster for something this person assumed?

Cheers:bah.gif

• Like 1

I'm guessing here, but I don't think you are white skinned, so no 'farang' discrimination, because you aren't 'farang'.

No, I am not white skinned, thank god!

Yes, Thai's consider me a "Farang" The meaning of the Persian word Farangg brought to Siam by Arabic Traders in 1700 defined as A "foreigner" of European heritage (ie: Spain) I am a Farang to Thai's.

It May also come as a surprise to you, people of Mexican Heritage are categorized as "Caucasian" by the U.S. government.

ok, from now on: "racist" withdrawn and "bigot" substituted

When one poses a loaded question like: "why the negativity about Thailand and Thais"...one might expect to get responses that are...well...negative...

It is good to read different peoples views on this subject...we do not all see...or respond to our environment the same...and should not feel compelled to defend or come to the aid of the Thais...based on comments posted here...

What does seem unnecessary...is straying away from the original subject...attacking those that contribute a view which you personally do not agree with...and generally losing direction...

Stay on point...do not take everything so personal...contribute your view...respect the views of others...

When one poses a loaded question like: "why the negativity about Thailand and Thais"...one might expect to get responses that are...well...negative...

It is good to read different peoples views on this subject...we do not all see...or respond to our environment the same...and should not feel compelled to defend or come to the aid of the Thais...based on comments posted here...

What does seem unnecessary...is straying away from the original subject...attacking those that contribute a view which you personally do not agree with...and generally losing direction...

Stay on point...do not take everything so personal...contribute your view...respect the views of others...

if that were to happen, every thread would have one post from each poster stating their view and then....................... end of story! not exactly a forum!

This assumption it indicative of this person expressing what at best could indicate racist views, "again, in my opinion" posted "Thai's are not a race, if you only badmouth Thai's , and not all Asians, you are not a racist" and also posted "I'm guessing here but I don't think you are white skinned" again another observation based solely on skin color. (A trait most expat state they assume all Thai' s base expat "perceive" discrimination on skin color' when in-fact skin color is the basis of this posters comments).

Now the high point of his observation."So no "farang" discrimination, because you aren't "farang" so he reverts back to the us verse them mentality. again based on the color of my skin nothing else, that my size 6'3", 250 lbs make me stand out in a village of Thai's that are smaller and shorter in appearance. The perception that skin color is the decisive factor on why I have not experience Thai Discrimination. Not the way I consider Thai's as equals, I eagerly follow Thai ways, I do not demand things be done only my way ect.

Now in his us versus them mentality, I am not a farang, by his definition that most expats consider ie:Farang is only used as an insult, and is based on skin color (expat perception) while the dictionary defines the word "Farang" did not originate in Thailand, was introduced to Siam by Arabic traders via the Persian word Farangg in the 1700 (well before the current influx of western's into Thailand that began during the war in Vietnam). the meaning of the Persian word Farangg, used in Thailand as "Farang" is said to originally describe the Frank's a tribe of ancient Europe that means "foreigners of European heritage" same as the definition of Farang used in Thailand.

Now is Falang ever used as an insult, I simply replied any word can be used as an insult, depending on the circumstances of the situation, the tone, and the volume it is used in, even the word "mother" can be used as an insult. if a Thai uses it in a conversation not aimed at you, the mere use of the word is not an insult.

The many posters on TV translate my opinion as saying "Farang" is never used as an insult, which has never been my opinion. For some reason that core group that continually post negative views of Thai's and Thailand need and want the word Farang to be used considered only as an insult, for their personal needs.

]Cheers:wai2.gif

This thread has now degenerated into The Teachings of Chairman Kikoman!

Yawn!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Also let me address my opinion of this posting style, in another post I stated " in respond to a poster posting that "Thai's were not a race, so if you bad mouth Thai's but don't generally bad mouth Asian, then you aren't a racist," I responded that in my opinion that was faulty thinking and stated "like someone in Durban, would say Apartheid was not discriminatory, As Blacks do not deserve human right".

This poster posted "So, according to the opinions of the Righteous Kikoman, every white South African, is a racist and a supporter of Apartheid"

My post definitely did not state anything about "All" or "white" South Africans, that is the baggage this poster brought to Thailand with him from his home country. Interpreting the simple mention of the word "Apartheid" was an attack on all white South Africans.(again the issue of skin color) not from Thai's but from expats.

If someone has a valid point, and bring it to my attention in a civil way, I will respond to his concerns, but if they revert to personal attacks, then communication with them would be meaningless.

• Like 1

Yawn!

But isn't it lovely and thoughtful, that after he insults your intelligence and honesty, he wai's and says "cheers.'

• Like 2

No, I am not white skinned, thank god!

Yes, Thai's consider me a "Farang" The meaning of the Persian word Farangg brought to Siam by Arabic Traders in 1700 defined as A "foreigner" of European heritage (ie: Spain) I am a Farang to Thai's.

It May also come as a surprise to you, people of Mexican Heritage are categorized as "Caucasian" by the U.S. government.

I wonder if anybody on this thread is a racist?

• Like 1

Many westerners like to brand everyone as asians, but how much do you know about asian? For sure, we know your english language but do you know our language? Just to tell you, I know 4 languages. Not that I want 4 languages but my environment forces me to have them.

Edited by Jackson86

Now the high point of his observation."So no "farang" discrimination, because you aren't "farang" so he reverts back to the us verse them mentality. again based on the color of my skin nothing else, that my size 6'3", 250 lbs make me stand out in a village of Thai's that are smaller and shorter in appearance. The perception that skin color is the decisive factor on why I have not experience Thai Discrimination. Not the way I consider Thai's as equals, I eagerly follow Thai ways, I do not demand things be done only my way ect.

Yeh, but you haven't said I am wrong about your skin colour, which is almost all the Thais care about.

If you ain't white, you ain't 'farang' (which by the way is a white fleshed fruit), so you won't suffer 'farang' discrimination.

Oh, just read your post claiming Mexican heritage, most Thais will think you are Thai.

I have a pal who is American with Puerto Rican heritage, Thais think he's Thai too.

Edited by FiftyTwo

Yeh, but you haven't said I am wrong about your skin colour, which is almost all the Thais care about.

If you ain't white, you ain't 'farang' (which by the way is a white fleshed fruit), so you won't suffer 'farang' discrimination.

I think that's an interesting point. I once hung out locally with a 1/2 white American / 1/2 Japanese guy and we both noticed we were treated differently from each other by many Thais. Some seemed confused about how to classify him but it was clear they didn't generally view him like a typical stereotyped f-rang. Granted my experience with this is only anecdotal but it makes sense to me different "types" of foreigners are perceived differently here by Thais, generally speaking. I would assume a Mexican background person who has the appearance of an indigenous person would also generally not be perceived as a typical f-rang, but a very white one (same as a typical Spaniard) ... would.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Many westerners like to brand everyone as asians, but how much do you know about asian? For sure, we know your english language but do you know our language? Just to tell you, I know 4 languages. Not that I want 4 languages but my environment forces me to have them.

I know 5.

Nah, nah, na-nah, nah!

Yawn!

Also let me address my opinion of this posting style, in another post I stated " in respond to a poster posting that "Thai's were not a race, so if you bad mouth  Thai's but don't generally bad mouth  Asian, then you aren't  a racist," I responded that in my opinion that was faulty thinking and stated "like someone in Durban, would say Apartheid was not discriminatory, As Blacks do not deserve human right". 

This poster posted "So, according to the opinions of the Righteous Kikoman, every white South African, is a racist and a supporter of Apartheid"

My post definitely did not state anything about "All" or "white" South Africans, that is the baggage this poster brought to Thailand with him from his home country. Interpreting the simple mention of the word "Apartheid" was an attack on all white South Africans.(again the issue of skin color) not from Thai's but from expats.

If someone has a valid point, and bring it to my attention in a civil way, I will respond to his concerns, but if they revert to personal attacks, then communication with them would be meaningless.

Cheers:Posted Image  

I hope the poster in question doesn't mind me speaking on his behalf, but the person from Durban that You verbally attacked was only 10 years old at the end of Apartheid in South Africa and I saw no racist 'baggage' in his post. I spoke up because a huge majority of white South Africans played a very active role in the abolishing of that regime and many died or suffered because of their involvement.

If you truly wanted a reasoned discussion, you'd be prepared to change your views based on the discussion; whereas, like the infamous Chairman, you believe that you, and only you, are right!

Arguing with a fool only proves that there are two!

• Like 1

Yawn!

Also let me address my opinion of this posting style, in another post I stated " in respond to a poster posting that "Thai's were not a race, so if you bad mouth Thai's but don't generally bad mouth Asian, then you aren't a racist," I responded that in my opinion that was faulty thinking and stated "like someone in Durban, would say Apartheid was not discriminatory, As Blacks do not deserve human right".

I don't see any personal attacks on this thread (from people other than you), nor do I see any racism from posters in general.

I have met a few racists in the past, they generally don't marry other races and don't have mixed race children, which excludes most of us on this forum from being racists.

I do see you mixing comments from me in with comments by other posters, which is definitely considered rude by forum standards.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

Oh, just read your post claiming Mexican heritage, most Thais will think you are Thai.

I have a pal who is American with Puerto Rican heritage, Thais think he's Thai too.

What is your explanation of the Thai word "Farang Dam" Black Farang,

The word Farang is the name for the Guava Fruit, Native to Mexico/Central America, came to Siam in the 1700's

Phak-chii farang Mexican Cilantro

Man-Farang potato

Naw-maai-farang asparagus

Makok-farang olives (western)

Maak-farang chewing gum

Also named farang are the fiower Morning-glory and many other plants.

Farang in the name of the food denotes that the item is foreign- did not originate in Thailand.

Other names used to denote -Foreigners of European heritage in Asia are as follows:

Persian--farangi Arabic-afranj malay--ferenggi Khmer--Barang Tamil--parangiar

You are wrong,

I do not consider myself as white or white skinned as per my own personal preference.

Mexican Heritage comes in a wide range of colors from pale white to Black and all colors in between. In the U. S. Mexican Americans (Hispanics) are classified as "Caucasian" same as farang.

Edited by kikoman

I do not consider myself as white or white skinned as per my own personal preference.

Mexican Heritage comes in a wide range of colors from pale white to Black and all colors in between. In the U. S. Mexican Americans (Hispanics) are classified as "Caucasian" same as farang.

Not important how you view yourself, what matters is how Thais view you, many Native Mexican/South American/American Indians (not so much the Spanish imports) look like Thais, and that is how they will see you.

Don't know many coloured gentlemen in Thailand, but the couple I do were always called 'nee-go'.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 2

"Alien" : a foreigner, especially one who is not a naturalized citizen of the country where he or she is living.

We are not "guests" we were not invited, we are and always will be "aliens"

I was invited by the government AND a new love. How "welcome" can you get?