why so much negativity about Thailand and its ppl?

Crazy chef 1

This thread has now degenerated into The Teachings of Chairman Kikoman!

Yawn!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Also let me address my opinion of this posting style, in another post I stated " in respond to a poster posting that "Thai's were not a race, so if you bad mouth Thai's but don't generally bad mouth Asian, then you aren't a racist," I responded that in my opinion that was faulty thinking and stated "like someone in Durban, would say Apartheid was not discriminatory, As Blacks do not deserve human right".

This poster posted "So, according to the opinions of the Righteous Kikoman, every white South African, is a racist and a supporter of Apartheid"

My post definitely did not state anything about "All" or "white" South Africans, that is the baggage this poster brought to Thailand with him from his home country. Interpreting the simple mention of the word "Apartheid" was an attack on all white South Africans.(again the issue of skin color) not from Thai's but from expats.

If someone has a valid point, and bring it to my attention in a civil way, I will respond to his concerns, but if they revert to personal attacks, then communication with them would be meaningless.

Cheers:wai2.gif

I don't see any personal attacks on this thread (from people other than you), nor do I see any racism from posters in general.

I have met a few racists in the past, they generally don't marry other races and don't have mixed race children, which excludes most of us on this forum from being racists.

I do see you mixing comments from me in with comments by other posters, which is definitely considered rude by forum standards.

Your post was only mentioned in relations to my response to your post,

That illicit the response of this poster, the review and comment are only about what he posted. in response to my post to you.

Cheers:smile.png

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Commander Tamson,

What are you talking about? the person I mentioned was fictional, it was just a comparison, of the poster I responded to (52) comment "Thai's are not a race", I have no idea how old he is or where he comes from.

I will not respond directly to any thing you post anymore, as no one in my Opinion has a right to comment for another poster, as the person I posted to has posted his response to my post.

You, sir are the person I posted about who brought the baggage from his home country. as you were the one that stated my post accused "every white South African as being racist", which is an untrue statement,

Sometime it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Commander Tamson,

What are you talking about? the person I mentioned was fictional, it was just a comparison, of the poster I responded to (52) comment "Thai's are not a race", I have no idea how old he is or where he comes from.

I was 52 when I came here, and I came from GB.

I do not consider myself as white or white skinned as per my own personal preference.

Mexican Heritage comes in a wide range of colors from pale white to Black and all colors in between. In the U. S. Mexican Americans (Hispanics) are classified as "Caucasian" same as farang.

Cheers:tongue.png

Not important how you view yourself, what matters is how Thais view you, many Native Mexican/South American/American Indians (not so much the Spanish imports) look like Thais, and that is how they will see you.

Don't know many coloured gentlemen in Thailand, but the couple I do were always called 'nee-go'.

I know you will never admit your are wrong, Thai's see me as farang, (a foreigner) to their country. Your opinion is no concern of mine.

Your don't bother me with facts attitude, is someone I will not communicate with anymore,

You have no idea why you think the way you do.

Cheers:bah.gif

I do not consider myself as white or white skinned as per my own personal preference.

Mexican Heritage comes in a wide range of colors from pale white to Black and all colors in between. In the U. S. Mexican Americans (Hispanics) are classified as "Caucasian" same as farang.

Not important how you view yourself, what matters is how Thais view you, many Native Mexican/South American/American Indians (not so much the Spanish imports) look like Thais, and that is how they will see you.

Don't know many coloured gentlemen in Thailand, but the couple I do were always called 'nee-go'.

I know you will never admit your are wrong, Thai's see me as farang, (a foreigner) to their country. Your opinion is no concern of mine.

Your don't bother me with facts attitude, is someone I will not communicate with anymore,

Pretty soon you won't have anyone left to communicate with, not an entirely bad idea IMHO.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 2

Commander Tamson,

I will not respond directly to any thing you post anymore, as no one in my Opinion has a right to comment for another poster, as the person I posted to has posted his response to my post.

You, sir are the person I posted about who brought the baggage from his home country. as you were the one that stated my post accused "every white South African as being racist", which is an untrue statement,

Sometime it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Cheers:Posted Image

Classic! Why not just take your own advice mate and remain silent!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

thanks for so many nice ( forget about the few others- just business as usual)and thoughtfull comments quiet interesting thoughts.but i slowly got the feeling it has nothing really to do with Thais ot Thailand it is more a generation thing.

if i remember my grandparents always complaint about the youth,their behavior,attitude,life style and so on.i think the only difference is they where confessed to their home country and many of the so called " basher" are stucked here and they would do the same back home,just getting older but may not wiser.may thats the miracels solution???

no offence intended

Now the high point of his observation."So no "farang" discrimination, because you aren't "farang" so he reverts back to the us verse them mentality. again based on the color of my skin nothing else, that my size 6'3", 250 lbs make me stand out in a village of Thai's that are smaller and shorter in appearance. The perception that skin color is the decisive factor on why I have not experience Thai Discrimination. Not the way I consider Thai's as equals, I eagerly follow Thai ways, I do not demand things be done only my way ect.

Yeh, but you haven't said I am wrong about your skin colour, which is almost all the Thais care about.

If you ain't white, you ain't 'farang' (which by the way is a white fleshed fruit), so you won't suffer 'farang' discrimination.

Oh, just read your post claiming Mexican heritage, most Thais will think you are Thai.

I have a pal who is American with Puerto Rican heritage, Thais think he's Thai too.

In the U. S. Mexican Americans (Hispanics) are classified as "Caucasian" same as farang.

More untruths from the king of blah, blah, woof, woof.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

You can avoid me, Kikoman, but you can't hide.

• Like 2

Nontabury.

I have Never stated any where on the Forum that problems do not exist in Thailand, I have only stated that I love Thailand, If there was a need I would fight for Thailand, I have a great life in Thailand. Please show me the post you posted this response to, any of my post that stated what you assume "yet you seem to refuse its existence" and your assuming I have a very sheltered life here. Truthfully you based that on your assumptions not on anything I have ever posted.

What kind of a sheltered life you assume I live, in a remote Rice farming village, as the only Farang in my village. Who and what sheltered me from the village Thai's, I live with them every day of my life for going on nine years now. I eat with them, drink with them, dance with them, work with them and help them say good bye to their loved one that passed away.

I have stated I have not had ANY problems with the Thai's or Thailand in over the decade I have lived here in Thailand. The problems I did have here was all with drunk Farang's in Pattaya, prior to moving out to the country.

You also seem like a decent person that has paid to much attention of what other say about me and not the opinions that I actually posted to. Please go back to all of my post if you want and show me exactly what I have posted that you disagree with as long as you keep your post civil I will also keep them civil..

I am the only Farang my Thai family knows, as posters were stating that all Thai use the word "Farang" as an insult and I had 15 Thai family members, I asked them did they use the word farang as an insult. all 15 answered no and they wanted to know why I asked that question and I showed them the post (translated to Thai), Some butt ***e, who became a member ten days ago, thought it was a violation of Forum policy, that policy clearly state:

"When you post in any forum on ThaiVisa,you are granting a licence to ThaiVisa.com to display that post publicly."

While surfing the Web I have encountered a number of my post on the web, that TV posted publicly. as public information.

I have never experienced any type of discrimination aimed at me or my family, mind you In my own experience, how can I tell my family of "discrimination" that I have never experienced,

I served as a Commissioner on the Pima Commission on Human Relations, that was tasked in addressing discrimination in the county that covers the city on Tucson Az. as such I am well versed on what constitutes discrimination, according to the Laws of the United States!

If there is any question you have that you desire a direct answer to, PM me , and I will answer it .butalso show that it is something "I" posted, as your post was civil, my answer will also be,

Eric HaAs i Cheers:Posted Image

Re you're first paragraph, true you have never said that problems do not exist, but you come across as a complete apologist , inferring that any problems that farangs encounter must be their own fault.

Yes, I do think you live a sheltered life here, you yourself have told us that you only venture out once a month by way of someone else's pickup in order to go to a supermarket that is some distance away. Therefore your contact with Thais must be limited to those in you're immediate vicinity. There is nothing wrong with that lifestyle if it makes you happy, but to think that you are interacting with the Thai population in general and living the average farangs life in Thailand, is obviously not so.

I don't know why you mentioned the word Farang in reply to my post, as I have never considered that word as derogatory, if Thai's want to call me that,up to them.

What constitutes discrimination, according to the laws of the USA , has nothing whatsoever to do with this thread. We are talking about how the Thais officially and Unofficially, DO discriminate against us. We do have do accept this,as it is their country(or does it only belong to the elite?) but that does not mean we must like it.

Nontabury.

I have Never stated any where on the Forum that problems do not exist in Thailand, I have only stated that I love Thailand, If there was a need I would fight for Thailand, I have a great life in Thailand. Please show me the post you posted this response to, any of my post that stated what you assume "yet you seem to refuse its existence" and your assuming I have a very sheltered life here. Truthfully you based that on your assumptions not on anything I have ever posted.

What kind of a sheltered life you assume I live, in a remote Rice farming village, as the only Farang in my village. Who and what sheltered me from the village Thai's, I live with them every day of my life for going on nine years now. I eat with them, drink with them, dance with them, work with them and help them say good bye to their loved one that passed away.

I have stated I have not had ANY problems with the Thai's or Thailand in over the decade I have lived here in Thailand. The problems I did have here was all with drunk Farang's in Pattaya, prior to moving out to the country.

You also seem like a decent person that has paid to much attention of what other say about me and not the opinions that I actually posted to. Please go back to all of my post if you want and show me exactly what I have posted that you disagree with as long as you keep your post civil I will also keep them civil..

I am the only Farang my Thai family knows, as posters were stating that all Thai use the word "Farang" as an insult and I had 15 Thai family members, I asked them did they use the word farang as an insult. all 15 answered no and they wanted to know why I asked that question and I showed them the post (translated to Thai), Some butt ***e, who became a member ten days ago, thought it was a violation of Forum policy, that policy clearly state:

"When you post in any forum on ThaiVisa,you are granting a licence to ThaiVisa.com to display that post publicly."

While surfing the Web I have encountered a number of my post on the web, that TV posted publicly. as public information.

I have never experienced any type of discrimination aimed at me or my family, mind you In my own experience, how can I tell my family of "discrimination" that I have never experienced,

I served as a Commissioner on the Pima Commission on Human Relations, that was tasked in addressing discrimination in the county that covers the city on Tucson Az. as such I am well versed on what constitutes discrimination, according to the Laws of the United States!

If there is any question you have that you desire a direct answer to, PM me , and I will answer it .butalso show that it is something "I" posted, as your post was civil, my answer will also be,

Eric HaAs i Cheers:wai2.gif

Re you're first paragraph, true you have never said that problems do not exist, but you come across as a complete apologist , inferring that any problems that farangs encounter must be their own fault.

Yes, I do think you live a sheltered life here, you yourself have told us that you only venture out once a month by way of someone else's pickup in order to go to a supermarket that is some distance away. Therefore your contact with Thais must be limited to those in you're immediate vicinity. There is nothing wrong with that lifestyle if it makes you happy, but to think that you are interacting with the Thai population in general and living the average farangs life in Thailand, is obviously not so.

I don't know why you mentioned the word Farang in reply to my post, as I have never considered that word as derogatory, if Thai's want to call me that,up to them.

What constitutes discrimination, according to the laws of the USA , has nothing whatsoever to do with this thread. We are talking about how the Thais officially and Unofficially, DO discriminate against us. We do have do accept this,as it is their country(or does it only belong to the elite?) but that does not mean we must like it.

why would the thais in his neighbourhood be any different than those in the general population??

• Like 1

Now the high point of his observation."So no "farang" discrimination, because you aren't "farang" so he reverts back to the us verse them mentality. again based on the color of my skin nothing else, that my size 6'3", 250 lbs make me stand out in a village of Thai's that are smaller and shorter in appearance. The perception that skin color is the decisive factor on why I have not experience Thai Discrimination. Not the way I consider Thai's as equals, I eagerly follow Thai ways, I do not demand things be done only my way ect.

Yeh, but you haven't said I am wrong about your skin colour, which is almost all the Thais care about.

If you ain't white, you ain't 'farang' (which by the way is a white fleshed fruit), so you won't suffer 'farang' discrimination.

Oh, just read your post claiming Mexican heritage, most Thais will think you are Thai.

I have a pal who is American with Puerto Rican heritage, Thais think he's Thai too.

In the U. S. Mexican Americans (Hispanics) are classified as "Caucasian" same as farang.

More untruths from the king of blah, blah, woof, woof.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

You can avoid me, Kikoman, but you can't hide.

Is That your best shot,

Why would I want to hide from you King of Incompetence and misinformation

post-91962-0-75830300-1382543813_thumb.j

Read it and weep,, Honey

if your interested there is a long article. !940 census, President FDR.

If you knew how to read the census properly all the same info is there

Now I can place you on Ignore!

Cheers:cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Edited by kikoman

The argument that the word Farang, is not offensive on the basis that it has its roots in some imported word for foreigner (or anything else for that matter) is a red herring.

There is absolutely no logical argument to support the view that because the word has always had 'this meaning" and always been applied in 'this sense' therefore the word cannot be offensive. Its a baseless false argument - a red herring.

Let me give you an example to prove the point.

The word 'Chav' is a Romani word for 'Child' imported into the UK it has always meant child, both within the Romani community and beyond - Like Farang an imported word, unlike the term 'Farang' a 'Chav' was a term used for children and has always had connotations of affection and endearment.

In the late 1990s all that changed - the word now is widely used as an pejorative - don't call someone a 'Chav' in the UK unless you want to suffer the consequences of having really insulted someone.

The term 'Chav' is still used with children and remains in use amongst the Romani community - but you absolutely could not claim that the word is not a pejorative on the basis of its past usage or on how it came into the language.

To do so is to make an illogical baseless argument.

In actuality, as anyone can easily determine Hispanic people (an ethnolinguistic group of citizens) in the USA fall into DIFFERENT race classifications, including of course white (many are black and some are even ASIAN). It is patently false that the U.S. government classifies all Hispanic Americans as white.

Also keep in mind classifications of race and ETHNICITY are not the same thing.

These kinds of things are also very culture specific.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

The argument that the word Farang, is not offensive on the basis that it has its roots in some imported word for foreigner (or anything else for that matter) is a red herring.

There is absolutely no logical argument to support the view that because the word has always had 'this meaning" and always been applied in 'this sense' therefore the word cannot be offensive. Its a baseless false argument - a red herring.

Let me give you an example to prove the point.

The word 'Chav' is a Romani word for 'Child' imported into the UK it has always meant child, both within the Romani community and beyond - Like Farang an imported word, unlike the term 'Farang' a 'Chav' was a term used for children and has always had connotations of affection and endearment.

In the late 1990s all that changed - the word now is widely used as an pejorative - don't call someone a 'Chav' in the UK unless you want to suffer the consequences of having really insulted someone.

The term 'Chav' is still used with children and remains in use amongst the Romani community - but you absolutely could not claim that the word is not a pejorative on the basis of its past usage or on how it came into the language.

To do so is to make an illogical baseless argument.

Please direct me to the post where I stated that Farang, can not be used as an insult!

You can not plain and Simple, I requested you to do so before, you Can Not!

Deal with the argument I've made at 194 or move on.

Given that personal attacks are so often the mark of people who can't deal with other people's line of thought, I'm expecting you to do the latter.

Then move on!

You failed to document your assumptions.

Until you can, I have no reason to communicate,

Move on!

Nontabury.

You do not indicate any documentation of what you disagree with as I requested "Show me exactly what I have posted that you disagree with", you did not do that and your points are meaningless to me, pure assumptions. without the post you disagree with attached!

Cheers:

Edited by kikoman

If his opinion is of no concern to you, why do you keep responding? Methinks thou dost protest too much!

Please direct me to the post where I stated that Farang, can not be used as an insult!

What you do, and what you are aware you do, is make references to foreigners not accepting the dictionary definition of the word, make reference of the 15 members of your family who you asked.... and in as if to balance your argument state 'any word can be used as and insult'.

So no absolute denial of the use of the word as an insult - such an argument would be shot down with one single example of such a use. But you do present a barrage of posts in which you argue that it is the person who is on the receiving end of the use of this word who is wrong for believing it to to an insult, that they deny the dictionary definition because they have a need for the word to be an insult.

Your argument is one of belittling the opinions of others as if their concerns are imagined.

The fact is the term Farang is used as an insult and is used as term towards foreigners and the fact is many foreigners find this insulting and demeaning.

It is not for you, me, the dictionary and certainly not for the person using the term to dictate to the people on the receiving end of the term whether it is an insult or not.

As an individuals we all have a sense of our own worth, own identity and own individuality - if people feel terms of language are use towards them in a fashion which denies their individuality sense of identity and worth then those terms of language are insulting.

Argue with that.

Edited by GuestHouse
  • Like 1

What you do, and what you are aware you do, is make references to foreigners not accepting the dictionary definition of the word, make reference of the 15 members of your family who you asked.... and in as if to balance your argument state 'any word can be used as and insult'.

So no absolute denial of the use of the word as an insult - such an argument would be shot down with one single example of such a use. But you do present a barrage of posts in which you argue that it is the person who is on the receiving end of the use of this word who is wrong for believing it to to an insult, that they deny the dictionary definition because they have a need for the word to be an insult.

Your argument is one of belittling the opinions of others as if their concerns are imagined.

The fact is the term Farang is used as an insult and is used as term towards foreigners and the fact is many foreigners find this insulting and demeaning.

It is not for you, me, the dictionary and certainly not for the person using the term to dictate to the people on the receiving end of the term whether it is an insult or not.

As an individuals we all have a sense of our own worth, own identity and own individuality - if people feel terms of language are use towards them in a fashion which denies their individuality sense of identity and worth then those terms of language are insulting.

Argue with that.

so SOME thais use the word farang as an insult. and some thais use the word without meaning it as an insult and have no expectation of you perceiving it as an insult. so what?

• Like 1

It re-enforces my decision to continue to boycott the Farang world.

It also fulfill my need to vent also in a constructive way, I know I will not get a truthful answer from them, but as they state it is also a way to relieve some excess energy at the end of the day..So I can get a good night of peaceful sleep, Good night!!

If you think I protest to much! what motivated you to post to me? when you answer that it will be for the same reason!

Argue with that.

What is there to argue!

Read the first sentence of your second paragraph which states "So no absolute denial of the use of the word as an insult" Should be the answer, It never stated it could not be used as an insult.

There is your answer nothing to argue about,as I only disagree with facts, not assumptions. I also do not have a problem with being referred to as a "Farang"

Cheers: and Good night!

Edited by kikoman

Many here post only based on assumption they made, not on what I in fact posted, but what they assume I posted, I will no longer respond directly to these assumptions. As to deny a impartial definition of the word, that many posters love to hate, A word that means exactly the same as Farang is used in every country neighboring Thailand also refer to the same ethnic group in that fashion, that is a fact!.

For someone to dispute the definition of what the word "Farang" from an impartial dictionary and post to something I did not say, are not points for me to ponder. I can only state to what I believe, nothing more or nothing less.

Many do not want to be confused with facts, they will continue to believe what they will.

There is not a thing any one can say, that will change my love for my adopted country Thailand and its people. My experience of living in Thailand for over a decade with out any problems, clearly indicate I live in harmony with the Thai population of my Village. As a few posters from TV have visited my home and it is not any different than any other village in Thailand.

Expat's have to understand their way is not the way Thai people do things in their own country, things are done differently in Thailand, and that is the truth they will have to live with!

The negativity will continue, every day of their lives, they choose to remain in Thailand!

• Like 2

It re-enforces my decision to continue to boycott the Farang world.

For which I am sure most of us are truly thankful.

What a world we live in !!

Diversity made this an interesting thread to read. Lots of humor, stubornness, illogicallity, reason, saving face and a newly appointed chairman !

Waiting for some people to join the topic about "mun,man etc". Or ??

Many here post only based on assumption they made, not on what I in fact posted, but what they assume I posted, I will no longer respond directly to these assumptions. As to deny a impartial definition of the word, that many posters love to hate, A word that means exactly the same as Farang is used in every country neighboring Thailand also refer to the same ethnic group in that fashion, that is a fact!.

For someone to dispute the definition of what the word "Farang" from an impartial dictionary and post to something I did not say, are not points for me to ponder. I can only state to what I believe, nothing more or nothing less.

Many do not want to be confused with facts, they will continue to believe what they will.

There is not a thing any one can say, that will change my love for my adopted country Thailand and its people. My experience of living in Thailand for over a decade with out any problems, clearly indicate I live in harmony with the Thai population of my Village. As a few posters from TV have visited my home and it is not any different than any other village in Thailand.

Expat's have to understand their way is not the way Thai people do things in their own country, things are done differently in Thailand, and that is the truth they will have to live with!

The negativity will continue, every day of their lives, they choose to remain in Thailand!

Kikoman, don't be discouraged. Some of the folks you are arguing with are some of the most ignorant people on TV. I can't believe anyone out there still thinks that "farang" is an offensive word. That level of stupidity simply cannot be reasoned with. Farang is simply a descriptive Thai word and the Thais will not stop using it. Nor will I.

• Like 1

Again what you consider a small minority of TV posters, negative comment's, I view as a large majority of TV posters express negative views of Thailand.

Total failure to comprehend the post from GH.

Read it again.

reading the post is not the trend these days runnin your mouth however is