why so much negativity about Thailand and its ppl?

Crazy chef 1

Many here post only based on assumption they made, not on what I in fact posted, but what they assume I posted, I will no longer respond directly to these assumptions. As to deny a impartial definition of the word, that many posters love to hate, A word that means exactly the same as Farang is used in every country neighboring Thailand also refer to the same ethnic group in that fashion, that is a fact!.

For someone to dispute the definition of what the word "Farang" from an impartial dictionary and post to something I did not say, are not points for me to ponder. I can only state to what I believe, nothing more or nothing less.

Many do not want to be confused with facts, they will continue to believe what they will.

There is not a thing any one can say, that will change my love for my adopted country Thailand and its people. My experience of living in Thailand for over a decade with out any problems, clearly indicate I live in harmony with the Thai population of my Village. As a few posters from TV have visited my home and it is not any different than any other village in Thailand.

Expat's have to understand their way is not the way Thai people do things in their own country, things are done differently in Thailand, and that is the truth they will have to live with!

The negativity will continue, every day of their lives, they choose to remain in Thailand!

Cheers:wai2.gif

Kikoman, don't be discouraged. Some of the folks you are arguing with are some of the most ignorant people on TV. I can't believe anyone out there still thinks that "farang" is an offensive word. That level of stupidity simply cannot be reasoned with. Farang is simply a descriptive Thai word and the Thais will not stop using it. Nor will I.

Replace the word SOME by ALL and you are giving him really credits.

Jeeeeh, some people never waver with their insular way of thinking !

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It re-enforces my decision to continue to boycott the Farang world.

It also fulfill my need to vent also in a constructive way, I know I will not get a truthful answer from them, but as they state it is also a way to relieve some excess energy at the end of the day..So I can get a good night of peaceful sleep, Good night!!

If you think I protest to much! what motivated you to post to me? when you answer that it will be for the same reason!

Cheers:bah.gif

Not being a 'farang', you were never a part of our 'farang' world.

Can you really boycott something you were never part of?

Many here post only based on assumption they made, not on what I in fact posted, but what they assume I posted, I will no longer respond directly to these assumptions. As to deny a impartial definition of the word, that many posters love to hate, A word that means exactly the same as Farang is used in every country neighboring Thailand also refer to the same ethnic group in that fashion, that is a fact!.

For someone to dispute the definition of what the word "Farang" from an impartial dictionary and post to something I did not say, are not points for me to ponder. I can only state to what I believe, nothing more or nothing less.

Many do not want to be confused with facts, they will continue to believe what they will.

There is not a thing any one can say, that will change my love for my adopted country Thailand and its people. My experience of living in Thailand for over a decade with out any problems, clearly indicate I live in harmony with the Thai population of my Village. As a few posters from TV have visited my home and it is not any different than any other village in Thailand.

Expat's have to understand their way is not the way Thai people do things in their own country, things are done differently in Thailand, and that is the truth they will have to live with!

The negativity will continue, every day of their lives, they choose to remain in Thailand!

Kikoman, don't be discouraged. Some of the folks you are arguing with are some of the most ignorant people on TV. I can't believe anyone out there still thinks that "farang" is an offensive word. That level of stupidity simply cannot be reasoned with. Farang is simply a descriptive Thai word and the Thais will not stop using it. Nor will I.

To me farang is just a word like motorbike or fridge, neither negative nor positive, the contex its used in though could be very good or bad.

• Like 2

It also fulfill my need to vent also in a constructive way, I know I will not get a truthful answer from them, but as they state it is also a way to relieve some excess energy at the end of the day..So I can get a good night of peaceful sleep, Good night!!

If you think I protest to much! what motivated you to post to me? when you answer that it will be for the same reason!

yes

• Like 1

yes

Are you the spokesman for the chairman ?

Do not worry, I am in for the long haul, I was just stating I will not respond directly to the post from people with the IQ of a shoe size.

Those that have a valid point, and disagree with an exact opinion of what I posted will be replied to. I will continue posting what I believe..

How could I not love Thailand and its people, opposed to what is here!

The whiners were whining before they came too Thailand and now they have something new to whine about. Some people will only find the negative in every situation never looking for the positive.

For the assembled throng can you please illustrate the positives in the number of fatal traffic accidents.

• Like 2

The whiners were whining before they came too Thailand and now they have something new to whine about. Some people will only find the negative in every situation never looking for the positive.

For the assembled throng can you please illustrate the positives in the number of fatal traffic accidents.

Are you deliberately being obtuse? I would hope so.

• Like 2

Are you deliberately being obtuse? I would hope so.

No, serious question.

There appears to be a handful who automatically call any complaint as Thai bashing, and everything in their bubble is sweetness and light.

What is so wrong about pointing out something as wrong, when it is wrong, and the vast majority of people can see it on display every day.

• Like 2

While I am glad we in a way agree on the meaning of the word Farang, and the fact it is just a plain word like any other word in the Thai language and it is not always used as an insult!

Also that loving Thailand, respecting The Thai people, having committed to a great life in Thailand and expressing positive views of life in Thailand, is mutually accepted.

Easy! i just compare it with the deaths in cardiac arrest that is the most common cause of death among middle age men where im from and my odds are better here.

• Like 1

While I am glad we in a way agree on the meaning of the word Farang, and the fact it is just a plain word like any other word in the Thai language and it is not always used as an insult!

Also that loving Thailand, respecting The Thai people, having committed to a great life in Thailand and expressing positive views of life in Thailand, is mutually accepted.

Not quite.

We agree its a word that is applied either with or without ill intention. And we agree it is a collective term for people who are caucasian (a modifiier adding colour seems to be applied to westerners who are not caucasian):

As a individuals we all have a sense of our own worth, own identity and own individuality - if people feel terms of language are use towards them in a fashion which denies their individuality sense of identity and worth then those terms of language are insulting.

I've made my argument why a collective term applied to any group may be regarded as offensive - nobody has challenged that view, so I have no idea if you agree or do not agree on that point.

Positive views of Thailand are of course accepted, indeed welcome. I have made my argument (#220) why negative views have are not mutually exclusive of love, respect and commitment to Thailand and Thai people, you have not commented on that view so I have no idea if we agree or not.

Edited by GuestHouse
  • Like 1

Easy! i just compare it with the deaths in cardiac arrest that is the most common cause of death among middle age men where im from and my odds are better here.

Only so long as the risks of death by cardiac arrest have been completely avoided and not enhanced by the addtion of death by fall from balcony.

• Like 1

Cardiac arrest is a feature of your eating and exercise habits (aka lifestyle).

Changing your location on the planet, is hardly likely to alter that.

• Like 1

Not quite.

We agree its a word that is applied either with or without ill intention. And we agree it is a collective term for people who are caucasian (a modifiier adding colour seems to be applied to westerners who are not caucasian):

As a individuals we all have a sense of our own worth, own identity and own individuality - if people feel terms of language are use towards them in a fashion which denies their individuality sense of identity and worth then those terms of language are insulting.

I've made my argument why a collective term applied to any group may be regarded as offensive - nobody has challenged that view, so I have no idea if you agree or do not agree on that point.

Positive views of Thailand are of course accepted, indeed welcome. I have made my argument (#220) why negative views have are not mutually exclusive of love, respect and commitment to Thailand and Thai people, you have not commented on that view so I have no idea if we agree or not.

Having just finish reviewing the thread completely I posted my original post *5, I posted to a post agreeing with (# 30) Beatlejuice,

On post #41 I was asked to define brasher, also stating "All you two seem to do is bleat on how perfect everything is in your own imaginary worlds and how if anyone says anything negative about Thailand, Then they're some sort of social dysfunctional maniac..." neither Beatlejuice or myself stated "social dysfunctional manic" My response to his request for a definition Post (#47)

you then post (#43) to say "do not ask for a definition"

Then Post (#45) by a different poster Stated "appear to defend the indefensible just because they are happy in Thailand and refused to take off the rose-colored glasses" I responded to his post.

You responded to my post (#56) I responded to your post (#58)

So you are the only person still on the Thread of the 3 posters that started this exchange, Go back look over the post yourself none of the assumption you state I did (never happened).

if you need to discuss the issue further, then look into yourself as that is where the answer lies!

Cheers:smile.png

Edited by kikoman

Cardiac arrest is a feature of your eating and exercise habits (aka lifestyle).

Changing your location on the planet, is hardly likely to alter that.

it did for me and why did you leave out stress as a factor?

Edited by Indrid Cold

Only so long as the risks of death by cardiac arrest have been completely avoided and not enhanced by the addtion of death by fall from balcony.

ok the balcony railings are scary

• Like 1

Kilkoman, thanks for summarising the posts, most of which I myself did not make but as you rightly point out, throughout this topic, threads between the two of us have pretty much been answered on both sides. We don't necessarily agree on everything but I believe we have endeavoured to at least try and address each other's point of view.

This is no doubt why we can agree the term Farang is sometimes used with ill intention (but by no means always) by some Thais (but by no means by all Thais).

and to round that off, we can also agree the term Farang is mostly used with no ill intent (but my no means always) and that most Thais use the term with no ill intent (but by no means all Thais).

I doubt you'll have a problem with that.

But, this thread is not about the term Farang, it is about "Why so much negativity about Thailand and its ppl?"

In post 220 I have laid out the reasons why there is no reason to assume that someone who expresses critical views about Thailand should be assumed to be someone who hates Thailand or Thai people

Indeed I have given an example of people who are raising families in Thailand, committed to Thailand, love the country and respect the people but who express critical views precisely because of their commitment to the country, genuine concern for the future of their children and the country they are raised in.

You have read my post 220 do you agree with what I have said, that expressing critical views about aspects of life in Thailand is not mutually exclusive with loving Thailand, respecting the Thai people and being committed to a making the best of life in Thailand?

This is a a point of view which is phrased politely, it expresses a real concern and I respectfully ask if you would mind answering this question.

Edited by GuestHouse

GuestHouse

I came under attack, solely because I stated the positive experiences I have had in Thailand and with Thai people over the last 12 years..My first post .Clearly stated what you ask me to state now, in post # 5 I stated:

"I agree, Live and let live, agree to disagree and leave it at that, Everyone has a right to an opinion, but to constantly state the same problem you have, is the same problems all expats have in Thailand, is pure speculation, post to what you believe and leave it at that"

I was accused of every thing except a child molester, But in my experiences my point of view was never kindly received I locked horns with real pro's.

To bad you did not except my opinion as stated in post (#-5) as some would say you did not give a toss,

I responded twice to request to document what I had posted, I documented my points to you and the definition requested by the other poster,

When I asked you to be fair and document your assumptions of what you said I posted to and you never did.

Now you ask me to agree that everyone has a right to an opinion, read post #5, that is my opinion.

Cheers:smile.png

• Like 1

Your experience seems very limited.

You despise your country of birth but cannot handle criticism of a country you have hardly any experience of.

You avoid farangs...yet in general you will have more in common with them, as you are not Thai.

Your arguments lack credibility.

Don't be scared to jump out of your bubble, or are u afraid it will disappoint.

I think guesthouse said something very succinct , someone so one-sided almost myopic has to look at himself and answer why.

Generally Thais are nice people but so are most farangs ( maybe not here !)..so why avoid them..

You come across as if you ran way from something...and in doing do have to justify your existence now..

I agree farang in most context is harmless and not to be interpreted as anything else..but over the years the use of it has become more "racist" but that just comes with more farangs being here I suppose.

I would even suggest that western culture is far superior to Thai culture( pick yourself off the floor!).,

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

lol! this place is full of amateur psychoanalysts!!

• Like 1