Phuket-Long term rental

onemore

Some advice from the Forumites please:-

In looking for somewhere to get a long term rental in Phuket what areas should I just not look at, considering the following:

- Am interested in somewhere near the beach.

- Am over the bar scene, so if there is no access to Patong, no problem.

- Just the two of us, no children to worry about schools etc.

- One, or two bedroom place, am flexible.

Thanks for any ideas that will have us not going round in circles, only to find out we were looking in the wrong area.

Cheers,

Onemore

Have you checked with any of the agencies on the island? I looked a lot online and contacted the agencies through the websites and arranged to go and see the house. I lived in Patong on the hill near Sea Pearl Villas and liked that I was far enough from the bar scene but could still get in once and a while. Maybe look in the Karon or Kamala beach areas?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks Buckeye, I really am trying to narrow my search down to a few areas, I have also been told that there is a lot of properties not with agents, savings on commissions etc. So I guess it is hire a car and go and look.

Cheers mate,

Loads of websites out there - but I think you are doing the best thing by going around at looking at places in person.

My only real advice is make sure the building has good management. So many nice places are empty for a reason. Poor maintenance and dodgy deeds by the people in charge can make a seemingly nice place a nightmare to live in.

Thanks Buckeye, I really am trying to narrow my search down to a few areas, I have also been told that there is a lot of properties not with agents, savings on commissions etc. So I guess it is hire a car and go and look.

Cheers mate,

There are properties everwhere on the island with signs on for rent by owners, just drive up the side streets in the areas you are interested in

You will save a lot of money by renting direct from the owners with a lot of these properties

Been there and done it and its definately worth your time and effort doing

• 2 weeks later...

best bet is find the beach area u like an than drive around an look for the private rent signs.

I live in kamala and love it ( been here 17 years) after i moved over from Patong. It is the furthest you can get from Phuket town but still only 30 minutes to Central and 15 to Patong

PLenty of places for rent 2 bedroom 10,000 bhat to $10,000/month

Using agents will cots you more$$$

Most replies have given advice on how to find a suitable place, but I note your real question was where. Perhaps that's because you haven't given many details on your age, lifestyle, etc.

If you want peace and quite go for the less populated north of the island. Although development is catching up, you still have to travel for most shopping and entertainment facilities.

Most long term expats tend to live in the south, in Chalong, Rawai and Nai Han, where

most western style restaurants, gyms and shopping can be easily found.

If you want a tourist resort type town, other than Patong, then Kamala, Kata or Karon could be considered. Available houses are not so common there.

Some like the center of the Island at Kathu, close to golf courses and a short drive to anywhere else.

Living on an island it's always a short drive to a good beach from anywhere.

Edited by Old Croc

Most replies have given advice on how to find a suitable place, but I note your real question was where. Perhaps that's because you haven't given many details on your age, lifestyle, etc.

If you want peace and quite go for the less populated north of the island. Although development is catching up, you still have to travel for most shopping and entertainment facilities.

Most long term expats tend to live in the south, in Chalong, Rawai and Nai Han, where

most western style restaurants, gyms and shopping can be easily found.

If you want a tourist resort type town, other than Patong, then Kamala, Kata or Karon could be considered. Available houses are not so common there.

Some like the center of the Island at Kathu, close to golf courses and a short drive to anywhere else.

Living on an island it's always a short drive to a good beach from anywhere.

I agree with you post Old Croc, particularly:

"you still have to travel for most shopping and entertainment facilities." and

"Living on an island it's always a short drive to a good beach from anywhere."

Hence, before suggesting ANY location on Phuket, I asked the OP what he was going to organise for long term transport here.