Anyone else get boiler room calls on their mobile........

Thighlander

I had a few calls in September from a guy who asked for me by name. He started talking about investment opportunities, but couldn't give any specifics. He then said they were going to have a rep at the Chedi (like that was going to impress me). I could hear others in the background like it was one of those boiler rooms. Just a word to the wise. I've been playing the stock market for 20+ years, and I'm all in favor of learning about good investments. This, however, seemed to be a setup for a big con. British accents/possibly OZ. Anyone else aware of this?

I had a call late last month similar deal,investment opportunity ,we can met up in CM at hotel not specified. Said friend (his or mine ?) gave him my name and number but wouldn't tell me who.

Well educated English accent.I cut the call very short.

As an aside if you use Skype, which we do a lot, we are getting plagued by American/Canadian types wearing military uniforms wanting to talk.

Skype cant seem to control spam.

I had a call late last month similar deal,investment opportunity ,we can met up in CM at hotel not specified. Said friend (his or mine ?) gave him my name and number but wouldn't tell me who.

As an aside if you use Skype, which we do a lot, we are getting plagued by American/Canadian types wearing military uniforms wanting to talk.

Maybe not, but you can.... Under privacy settings!!!

I get them a lot, but from a different boiler room based outside of Thailand. Usually Filipinas. They get an immediate "not interested" and hangup from me. They got my name from giving out my business card to a French guy when I was shopping for computers in Japan!

These people are lowlife scum.

I get these calls all the time, they probably get the name and number from the listings in the membership directories of the various international chambers of commerce.

"Sorry, not interested" and hanging up usually does the trick.

Sent from my I-405 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

One thing you might want to do to control Skype spam would be to go to Skype preferences and tick the appropriate boxes so that you only receive calls (or text) from people in your contact list.

Thanks for that, looking at the Skype forum I am not the only one having a problem but this option wasn't mentioned...fixed now

Incidentally, does anyone know whether deVere Group are still up to their old tricks in Bangkok? Or have the police finally shut them down?

I received a number of cold calls from a smooth talker earlier this year. That slippery guy wouldn't take no for an answer.

Incidentally, does anyone know whether deVere Group are still up to their old tricks in Bangkok? Or have the police finally shut them down?

I received a number of cold calls from a smooth talker earlier this year. That slippery guy wouldn't take no for an answer.

deVere is not a boiler room operation, they are a serious investment company. They are doing marketing in a way which you might find annoying, but there is nothing illegal about them that I know of.

Edited by onthemoon

I have invested with these people after a few phone calls and I'm currently up 100%!! We never met, but they seem really nice.

I asked for some money back, but I guess they make so much money they are always out of the office for months at a time. I think I will get a check in a few years, but they cannot guarantee they will be back. However, they always have time to ask for more money. Ah, I'm sure it's ok.

Anyhow, they will keep sending me statements of how much I am making.

coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Yes, that particular group of scum are still hounding people. Not exactly a boiler room operation, but just floating above in the gutter.

Did he take the big red button for an answer? ;)

I get them a lot, but from a different boiler room based outside of Thailand. Usually Filipinas. They get an immediate "not interested" and hangup from me. They got my name from giving out my business card to a French guy when I was shopping for computers in Japan!

These people are lowlife scum.

They scrape LinkedIn then have someone call the office where you currently work and try to get your mobile. If the person on the other end is a bit thick (like in my former office), the number is given out.

deVere is not a boiler room operation, they are a serious investment company. They are doing marketing in a way which you might find annoying, but there is nothing illegal about them that I know of.

If you are investing with them, I suggest you get your money out ASAP

Edited by apalink_thailand

They scrape LinkedIn then have someone call the office where you currently work and try to get your mobile. If the person on the other end is a bit thick (like in my former office), the number is given out.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head.. My office gives out my mobile number to absolutely anyone! and I am on linked-in.

But these have been calls trying to sell me work related stuff, not scammers.

But I'm guessing if you hold a title that sounds quite prosperous on linked-in, then you could be a target for the boiler room scum!

I have gotten them also. Sometimes they know my name. I think the best thing is not to hang up, but just respond with 'yes' to whatever question they ask. Wastes their time; they would prefer that you hang up on them so they go to the next number. Saying yes gives them no information and can sometimes waste 3-5 minutes of their time. tongue.png

I have gotten them also. Sometimes they know my name. I think the best thing is not to hang up, but just respond with 'yes' to whatever question they ask. Wastes their time; they would prefer that you hang up on them so they go to the next number. Saying yes gives them no information and can sometimes waste 3-5 minutes of their time. tongue.png

Or when they ask if you are Mr X, say no but I can get him for you. Then leave the phone open and get on with your life-easy for you and expensive for them.