Ducati Monster mods

ArNaSu

I got my monster a couple of weeks ago, I like it a lot. One slight issue I have with it is the gearing, it seems incredibly long gearing. Can't really get it into second gear until about 30-40 kms/hr and on the highway it doesn't seem happy in sixth gear until your over 110km/hr.

Has anyone changed their sprockets to change the gearing a little ?, to me the rear spocket could to with being a bit bigger.

Yes you should change the front sprocket from 15 to 14 t. I did that on my Monster 1100 EVO and the bike was much better to handle in slow moving traffic. In fact, as Vocalneal said, it is very common to change the sprockets on the Monster.

Though mine isn't a Monster, the change from a 15T to a 14T was like night & day. It made my 999S a lot easier on the clutch for street duties and also turned it into an animal on the track. :D

Agreed about the 14 tooth sprocket.

I took a Monster for a test ride and starting out, I thought I was in second gear.

(granted I am used to trail bikes and hitting 3rd gear before I'm thru the intersection)

Unless you need the high end speed, the gear change makes sense.

Agreed about the 14 tooth sprocket.

I took a Monster for a test ride and starting out, I thought I was in second gear.

(granted I am used to trail bikes and hitting 3rd gear before I'm thru the intersection)

Unless you need the high end speed, the gear change makes sense.

Yep, aggreed. But I like the bigger rear sprocket option. Seems like less stress on the chain in my mind. If the chain won't reach (One tooth change on the front equals the ratio of rear/front number of teeth. Probably 3 to 1. ) Then you could buy a chain for cutting into the small half-link bits and use two master-links. (No worse than one master-link.) You can fine tune the ratio better this way. (ie: A rear sprocket change of one or two teeth. Depending on availability of rear sprockets with one, two, and three more teeth in Thailand.) I've done the above to my little bike, as I've put on a huge rear tire with a greater circumference than the stock tire. I had to get my gearing back down then.

If you are going to change the rear sprocket make sure the chain doesn't hit the swing warm while driving especially in a one sided swingarm!

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes you should change the front sprocket from 15 to 14 t. I did that on my Monster 1100 EVO and the bike was much better to handle in slow moving traffic. In fact, as Vocalneal said, it is very common to change the sprockets on the Monster.

If you drive in the city your clutch will say thank you.

• Like 1

There are many ducati forums! It seems that changing the front sprocket from 15T to 14T is quite common.

And being the cheapest, simplest method (bang for your buck) improvement. No ECU mapping or reflashes and generally no chain changes required. Todays modern chains are a hell of lot more durable that the ones of yesteryear, which I'm sure were made out of mild steel (joke) :D

The 14t mod is okay for city riding but the loss of top-end is noticeable especially on the highways riding with inline-4's. Maybe stick to the 15t and get a clutch slave to help with the heavy Ducati clutch pull.

To the OP, if you wanted a city bike, maybe a Duc wasn't the best choice as they don't like to be ridden slowly. And also you really shouldn't be anywhere near 6th gear at only 110kph. Maybe with some more time in the saddle you'll become more in tune with the gearing.

If you drive in the city your clutch will say thank you.

Not if you know how to operate it. Unfortunately, I did too many miles in the city BUT Zero issues with the clutch (10,000km)

A dry clutch would say thank you fairly easy but not a wet clutch. Also, the sprocket change will be easier on the clutch.

Edited by Nickymaster

The 14t mod is okay for city riding but the loss of top-end is noticeable especially on the highways riding with inline-4's. Maybe stick to the 15t and get a clutch slave to help with the heavy Ducati clutch pull.

To the OP, if you wanted a city bike, maybe a Duc wasn't the best choice as they don't like to be ridden slowly. And also you really shouldn't be anywhere near 6th gear at only 110kph. Maybe with some more time in the saddle you'll become more in tune with the gearing.

Whether you have a 15T of 14T front sprocket the bike still reaches 200Km/h. For most of us that would be enough for the highway (in Thailand). For me it certainly was. Latest Monsters are really geared very long. Stock they are very difficult to ride for that matter.

I agree with the long/tall gearing issue. It means you have to change gear a lot. It's ok if like in my case its just a weekend toy. If I used my Monster as a commuter it would be a pain. I expect a new Monster with the 110 bhp engine in 2014 it will be interesting to find out what the gearing will be like. I wonder if the new Hypermotard has the same issue?

I agree with the long/tall gearing issue. It means you have to change gear a lot. It's ok if like in my case its just a weekend toy. If I used my Monster as a commuter it would be a pain. I expect a new Monster with the 110 bhp engine in 2014 it will be interesting to find out what the gearing will be like. I wonder if the new Hypermotard has the same issue?

It's been a long day but I'm confused. Surely as a weekend toy you'd want shorter gearing and the commuter would want taller gearing?

if it's geared tall then every gear goes further so as long as the engine has enough power for each gear then you'll change gear less riding at a 'commuter' pace, but you will have slightly less acceleration. RPM's will be lower at cruising speed. Good for a commuter.

Short gearing generally requires more gear changes but you get harder acceleration. And higher RPM's at the same speed. Good for a weekend toy.

I'm on holiday so maybe not thinking straight. Compared to the Er6n at an equivalent speed on the monster you have to be one or two gears lower. I wouldn't normally put it into 6th until about 130-140 kph whereas an ER6n you can pop into 6th at about 90KPH. So basically round town you're in a lower gear at higher revs getting worse fuel consumption. I thought a commuter would want the opposite.

I've changed my exhaust with a QD ExBox, a ducc ee servo eliminator and a Bazzaz zfi to handle the new tune.

I originally opted for a Power Commander V for a 796 (Paid $450. For sale if anyones interested. $350+postage from Saigon Vietnam) but went instead with a Bazzaz zfi unit.

Since installing the new exhaust (even before tuning) and on the ride over to the workshop, I had noticed it has gotten a lot smoother now. (2270kms old) I guess it's due to getting rid of the exhaust valve and servo.

Run up on the dyno and got 76.93hp@rear wheel (with 6 week old fuel in the tank), up from 72.67 hp stock. My TQ curve is now very flat compared to stock.

There was a 795 with Termis, Bazzaz zfi (unsure if it had the A&N airfilter and Ducati retuned ecu) that was tuned, It cranked out 73.68hp. Not much more than stock.

Now its very responsive, The bogging down at lower rpm's isn't so noticeable though I usually leave it in 1-2nd gear when riding in the city (20-40kph)

Not too worried about getting it up into 6th gear, I just select the gear best suited for maintaining the RPM's the engine likes, It is a Ducati after all, Not a I4 Jap engine.

This new exhaust isn't for everyone. It is loud, almost to the point where its rude laugh.png . There is no popping, no backfires of flames, just a rumble.

I've just put the DB Killer in tonight (round stainless disc to block off the lower exit hole on the exhaust) but with the kids upstairs sleeping I wasn't going to start it. I'll see how different it sounds in the morning.

When riding around I get a resonance in my helmet, but after a 40min ride there is no buzzing in my ears so I guess its just the frequency, not the volume.

I get a lot of people moving over for me and heads turning to look. Now there is nothing between the rear tyre hugger and under the seat, I need to do something about the rear indicators, They are sticking out like Prince Charles wingnut ears or kangaroo/dogs balls. Thinking along the lines of a combi brake light but still prefer dedicated indicators.

post-112960-0-02287100-1382551626_thumb.

post-112960-0-35766000-1382551862_thumb.

post-112960-0-90094900-1382552355_thumb.

post-112960-0-17152500-1382552368_thumb.

• Like 1

Hello, I am trying to change my original sproket from 15T (original) to a new 14T but Ducati told me that they do not do it since the sproket is not the same as on the 796 et so far no model for the 795.
I went to MPK as well, same issue. If any of you changed it could you pls recommend the model details and where to get it fixed on my bike?

Thanks!

Hello, I am trying to change my original sproket from 15T (original) to a new 14T but Ducati told me that they do not do it since the sproket is not the same as on the 796 et so far no model for the 795.

I went to MPK as well, same issue. If any of you changed it could you pls recommend the model details and where to get it fixed on my bike?

Thanks!

Hi kmax, can you take a side on photo of your sprocket, plus if possible a photo showing the offset (if any) of the sprocket teeth compared to the sprocket splined hole.?