Dual Pricing Farang/Thai

hellyes2oo2

We are always hearing about how farangs are charged more than thais. Well here is a refreshing change. I often use a little shop in my village, when I don't have my Singha Lite. Yesterday I was at a funeral, and we needed some beer, so I aked a thai guy to go and get me 6 bottles of Leo. I gave him 330baht (55baht a bottle) He said not enough it is 60Baht a bottle, so i said I will go with you, and lo and behold it was only 55 for me, but the lady in the shop said it was 60 for thai people, to say I was shocked is a understatement. One up for the farangs.

Yes you will get this if you are friendly, well known and a good customer. When I heard the excise was going to rise I actually told my mom and pop shop that this was about to happen and they would have to charge more for beer. When the rise came the shop owner said that he was considering charging 3 baht more for a Chang can. Up to 28 baht from 25, Did I consider this reasonable? I certainly did as all other local shops were charging 30 and some even 35.

I also found it very strange, because a large bottle of leo, before the price rise was 50baht. But the wholsale price went up by 7 baht a bottle, so i would understand if the price in the shop went up by 10baht a bottle, but for me she only put it up by 5 baht, and even when i was told the price for thais, and i offered to pay 60baht, the lady said no for farang only 55baht.

About 6 or 7 years ago, along with my wife (Thai) and our daughter we went to the Chiang Mai Zoo, where they wanted to slug me extra for being a FERANG!

Wife insisted that we were a "Family" and told them that we would not go in, if I had to pay extra. They then asked me my address, I replied and also waved my Thai MDL. We got in at the LOCAL price but on behalf of other FERANG I was less than impressed at the blatant RACISM.

Could you imagine the screams if someone wanted to charge EXTRA for Thais to go places in Australia, Europe or America? They would be hollering to the United Nations!

Small shops where I go do put in an extra effort. Most will continue to give me what I want at the old price whereas I seen other Thai and foreigners getting higher price. I remember many years ago hearing something about repeat customers will make up a very high percentage of the sales.

• Like 1

Could you imagine the screams if someone wanted to charge EXTRA for Thais to go places in Australia, Europe or America? They would be hollering to the United Nations!

Actually it's not such an uncommon occurrence in other countries, and it does make sense.

For example, I am from New Zealand, where visiting the Waitangi treaty house in the Bay of Islands, has a price of $25 for foreigners, but is free for residents.

Likewise the Auckland Museum is free for residents of Auckland, but visitors from other NZ provinces are asked to make a donation (Of any amount, it's upto them), and non residents are charged a $25 admission fee.

Both of these make sense, as does a dual pricing system for tourists and residents in Thailand. As if the government, or local council/amphur, fund the attraction, then they are funding it using money from either rates or taxes. Taxes which have been collected from residents, thus residents have already paid their entry fee in the form of taxes.

In this sense, someone who has a work permit should still be entitled to the "Thai price" (And this is usually the case, likewise showing a yellow book or Thai drivers licence usually works too).

Personally the only time I have a problem with dual pricing, is when I'm charged extra even though I can provide a work permit / yellow book / drivers licence (Although I usually receive the Thai price).

However in saying that, I do understand that for some cultural attractions, you could say that citizens, as opposed to residents, are stakeholders of the attraction, as it's part of their culture. With this in mind, citizens are essentially part owners of the attraction (Thus should receive more of a discount than mere residents). Although even agreeing with the logic doesn't stop it from annoying me.

• Like 1

Actually it's not such an uncommon occurrence in other countries, and it does make sense.

For example, I am from New Zealand, where visiting the Waitangi treaty house in the Bay of Islands, has a price of $25 for foreigners, but is free for residents.

Likewise the Auckland Museum is free for residents of Auckland, but visitors from other NZ provinces are asked to make a donation (Of any amount, it's upto them), and non residents are charged a $25 admission fee.

Both of these make sense, as does a dual pricing system for tourists and residents in Thailand. As if the government, or local council/amphur, fund the attraction, then they are funding it using money from either rates or taxes. Taxes which have been collected from residents, thus residents have already paid their entry fee in the form of taxes.

In this sense, someone who has a work permit should still be entitled to the "Thai price" (And this is usually the case, likewise showing a yellow book or Thai drivers licence usually works too).

Personally the only time I have a problem with dual pricing, is when I'm charged extra even though I can provide a work permit / yellow book / drivers licence (Although I usually receive the Thai price).

However in saying that, I do understand that for some cultural attractions, you could say that citizens, as opposed to residents, are stakeholders of the attraction, as it's part of their culture. With this in mind, citizens are essentially part owners of the attraction (Thus should receive more of a discount than mere residents). Although even agreeing with the logic doesn't stop it from annoying me.

Very true. In the US, an annual pass for all of the national parks (Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Crater Lake, etc. etc.) is $80. That's every year. But senior citizens 62 and over (US citizens and permanent residents) can buy a lifetime pass for just $10 and members of the military and their families get in free.

Link

Even privately owned Disneyland (S. California) and Disneyworld (Florida) offer special rates to state residents and to active and retired military.

I also found it very strange, because a large bottle of leo, before the price rise was 50baht. But the wholsale price went up by 7 baht a bottle, so i would understand if the price in the shop went up by 10baht a bottle, but for me she only put it up by 5 baht, and even when i was told the price for thais, and i offered to pay 60baht, the lady said no for farang only 55baht.

I'll bet you were getting the "volume discount." tongue.png

• Like 1

Have you ever noticed the abundance of calculators used by these minimart owners? Let's say the bill for two beers comes to 90 baht. You hand the guy / girl 100 baht and they will immediately whip out the calculator to do the subtraction and give the correct change. Amazing math skills.

Have you ever noticed the abundance of calculators used by these minimart owners? Let's say the bill for two beers comes to 90 baht. You hand the guy / girl 100 baht and they will immediately whip out the calculator to do the subtraction and give the correct change. Amazing math skills.

Lighten up Pecker!

I find this is often done for farangs as an aid to communication.

Many farangs would not understand the total of a purchase if told the total in the Thai language.

The Arabic numbers on the calculator make it clear.

I've also noticed that they will show you each item as it is entered into the calculator so you know the cost of each item.

Don't criticize the math skills!

This is done as a courtesy for those uneducated in the Thai language.

Bash, bash, bash away!

• Like 1

Lighten up Pecker!

Bash, bash, bash away!

It is you "willyumiii" that should LIGHTEN UP. and grow some skin.

You do have a point there willy, but it would only apply to newcomers. I've been here for several years and have been going to the same minimart over and over. You would think they would know by now that using the calculator is not necessary. I do see your point though for those who don't speak a word of Thai. Even if I do speak Thai (which I can) they still feel the need to get out the calculator. I find it rather amusing.

• Like 1

Farang = bulk sale = lower price

Thai = retail sale = higher price

as simple as that laugh.png

Lighten up Pecker!

Bash, bash, bash away!

It seems you have taken the liberty to edit my post Munger. You omitted the part where I explain why the calculator is used and why it is a good thing.

Uncle Pecker even agreed that the point I made was a good one.

I don't see that I need to lighten up.

Now, "grow some skin" ,is that a British or Ausie saying?

Could you please translate it to English for me?

Edited by willyumiii

Lighten up Pecker!

Bash, bash, bash away!

It seems you have taken the liberty to edit my post Munger. You omitted the part where I explain why the calculator is used and why it is a good thing.

Uncle Pecker even agreed that the point I made was a good one.

I don't see that I need to lighten up.

Now, "grow some skin" ,is that a British or Ausie saying?

Could you please translate it to English for me?

I translated the original post to be referring to the assistants inability to take 90 away from 100 and make a 10 baht amount of change without using a calculator. It didnt mention using the calculator to pass on the amount of money required so I dont see where you are all coming from really.

I agree with the poster that calculators are used far too often for such simple arithmetic that its unbelievable but its either because they are unable to think and work out 100 - 90 = 10.....or they are just not trusted to come up with the correct answer.

HL biggrin.png

I happily pay the FAT (Farang Added Tax) and don't care. Koreans and Japanese pay the same as Farangs. Korat Zoo I paid extra, can't remember .. 80 Baht or something. It's their (the Thais) country and we are visitors.

Please note that residents of Tower Hamlets pay less than ALL others to visit the Tower of London - true!!

Have a pleasant day.

• Like 1

I happily pay the FAT (Farang Added Tax) and don't care. Koreans and Japanese pay the same as Farangs. Korat Zoo I paid extra, can't remember .. 80 Baht or something. It's their (the Thais) country and we are visitors.

Please note that residents of Tower Hamlets pay less than ALL others to visit the Tower of London - true!!

Have a pleasant day.

Yes, I'm a foreigner, but I also work and pay income taxes here in Thailand. Based on the above logic I should be getting the same as the Thai, but the reality is I'm not thai so i'll pay the higher price.

I'll bet you were getting the "volume discount." tongue.png.pagespeed.ce.JwCxzAWj6x.png alt=tongue.png width=20 height=20>

Ah, i see you get the alcoholics price drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif alt=drunk.gif width=58 height=30>

Farang = bulk sale = lower price

Thai = retail sale = higher price

as simple as that laugh.png.pagespeed.ce.SDkxrRteka.png alt=laugh.png width=20 height=20>

Brilliant minds think alike laugh.png

Edited by NeverSure

Yes, I'm a foreigner, but I also work and pay income taxes here in Thailand. Based on the above logic I should be getting the same as the Thai, but the reality is I'm not thai so i'll pay the higher price. 

If you show your work permit (or tambien Baan/yellow book) you'll generally receive the Thai price at national parks + government operated tourist attractions.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

If you show your work permit (or tambien Baan/yellow book) you'll generally receive the Thai price at national parks + government operated tourist attractions.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

For the sake of 50 - 150 baht >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>??

I'm happy to chip in for the cause.

We are visitors .. willy-nilly, higgledy-piggledy!!

Agreeing with Sly Animal's sentiments I can accept dual pricing for iconic national monuments and the like where there is some cultural imperative to allow the locals to get a look in and if an element of cross-subsidy from richer tourist providing nations helps out then I say fine. I'm thinking of stuff like the Taj Mahal in India where most Indians could not afford a normal price sufficient to sustain the running and maintenance costs and where tourists paid something like 25 $US and nationals 25 cents when I last went a couple of decades ago.

The idea that tourists should pay more to watch some local Thai's nasty crocodile show is what is so offensive. If white-skinned Chinese Thais were charged more than brown-skinned ones because 'clearly you can afford more' we'd never hear the end of how ridiculous a proposition that would be from the Thai gliterati

Edited by SantiSuk