Black Smoke - Fire occurs in South Pattaya

NewGuy

just been there looking

mainly in the paint shop

started in the restaurant behind the paint shop said a police there

Odd that in picture 3 they are using a Monitor to poor water in the front when quite clealry the seat of the fire needing the most attention is at the rear!

I said the same when I was there looking

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Fire in South Pattaya; Over 10-Premises Burnt Down

Foreigners were frightened of a fire that burnt a commercial building in the Arabian in area of South Pattaya. It spread very quickly, so firemen cannot extinguish the fire yet and tourists were so frightened that they ran out riotously to escape from danger; - (Pictures already on Internet).

PATTAYA:--October 22, 2013 [PDN]: – A journalist reported that at 2.45 p.m. a fire was burning at a 3-4 storey rented commercial building including over 10-stalls. These included Arabian restaurants, a construction materials shop and a money exchange booth of the Kasikorn Thai bank. All were located between at Nos. 18-19 in Soi-2 at South Pattaya, on the east side of the road leading to Pratamnak Hill and nearby Marine Plaza Hotel. This area is a popular place for Middle Eastern tourists staying in the South Pattaya area in Thailand’s Chonburi Province.

A team from the Pattaya City Police Station quickly rushed to inspect the scene and blockaded the area to prevent people from coming too close to the fire and blocking the road. The officers also assisted in moving the valuable assets out of buildings that were located nearby the scene. They liaised with the firemen from the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation in Pattaya City, in bringing 7-fire trucks along to spray water to control the fire. Due to the dense area of the incident, the fire is burning in connected commercial buildings, including over 10-business premises, which consist of a construction materials shop, hardware shop, electric appliances shop, home-decorated shop and a clothing shop. All of these are the very good fuel for the fire and behind the buildings there are also many kinds of other shops located, which is making fire fighting very difficult. The fire spread out to the nearby buildings so quickly that the firemen had to coordinate with other related organizations, such as Nong Prue Municipality and the Banglamung Municipality, who all had to bring more fire trucks to assist.

Full Story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/10/22/big-fire-in-south-pattaya-over-10-premises-burnt-down/

--PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2013-10-22

just been there looking

mainly in the paint shop

started in the restaurant behind the paint shop said a police there

Odd that in picture 3 they are using a Monitor to poor water in the front when quite clealry the seat of the fire needing the most attention is at the rear!

I said the same when I was there looking

Both of us must be wrong then .. :-) I'll be defending my own home if the house next door catches alight or just open all my windows and doors to allow the water jet to reach through!

I wondered why it was gridlock on soi buakhao at about 3pm, now I know. Hope there's no casualties

Just got home from Soi Buakhao, it was gridlocked right up until about 8pm, as were Pattaya Klang. Locals were telling us that about 57 properties are gone, please don't quote me on this as of course it's hearsay. I pray no one was injured and all got away quickly

BonBon was the only cornershop in central pattaya to stock all Tipco juices all the time, where am i gonna go now for tangerine and orange and the veggie sad.png

I'm sure they are working on a solution as we speak. wink.png.

I certainly hope so! I shall require my freshly squeezed Tipco Tangerine juice, even if half the sea board burns down!

looking at the video it seemed to be a very difficult situation for the fire service to deal with - with buildings built on top of one another and sometimes with very little access it must create a huge problem, lets hope nobody was injured - quite a few construction plans here would never be approved in the west for this very reason - building control if they even knew what it was would still be in the hip pocket

you want to go the source of the fire were a simple kitchen incident got out of control because there were no fire extinguishers on hand to deal with it

Maybe the new 1:5 building rule actually makes sense in these conditions for fire fighting at least. For each 1000 square meters of land in the development site, max of 5000 square meters of building space is allowed in Pattaya. It used to be 1:10.

Edited by Timwin

I realize its the norm in many places but am thinking that those huge signs erected in front of 2nd and 3rd story windows were hindering the firefighting efforts.. Should make in mandatory (fat chance here ) that they be somehow quickly detachable in some way by the fire departments if necessary so they can access the interiors. .

Edited by snooky
  • Like 1

Welding Sparks blamed for 100 Million Baht fire in South Pattaya

fire-10.jpg
PATTAYA:--Initial investigations suggest sparks from welding equipment being used to construct a steel roof at the rear of an Arabic Restaurant caused an estimated 100 Million Baht fire in the South Pattaya area on Tuesday Afternoon.

The fire broke out at approximately 2pm at the rear of the Abu Saeed Restaurant located on the Pratamnuk Road close to the entrance to Soi 16 and close to the Marine Plaza Hotel.

Emergency workers including 10 fire engines from around the District were called in to tackle the blaze which quickly escalated into a major incident leading to the closure of the road by Traffic Police.
fire-11.jpg
Shocked tourists and residents looked on as the fire spread to a neighboring hardware shop which quickly became engulfed in flames. Multiple mini-explosions occurred as rescue workers quickly moved out gas canisters stored at the shop in an attempt to minimize the damage caused by the fire. The fire also damaged a Kasikornbank Currency Exchange Booth located next to the Hardware Shop.

The fire then spread to the Abu Nawaas Restaurant & Hotel located in Soi 16 and a mass evacuation of staff and hotel guests took place as reports came in that the smoke could be seen as much as 10kms away.
Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/106664/welding-sparks-blamed-100-million-baht-fire-south-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-10-23

Saw it from the very beginning. Fire-Dept. was there reasonable fast, so were ambulances. Access was quite difficult as it was happening behind the 2nd. Rd. front and behind the Arab restaurants and the small Bonbon convenience store in the corner. O.c. it looked like organized chaos, but so do most fires. Thank God for the heavy rain, that prevented a bigger catastrophe. I feel sorry for the owners who probably did not have insurance, just a guess. I was a bit appalled by the many smiling and laughing onlookers. BTW. there was a bunch of gas bottles in that area and they blew up one after another. A big batch was removed in the very beginning, but then it got too dangerous to get near them. Hopefully nobody got hurt. MS>

There used to be a gas bottle shop on the corner opposite Soi 10 on 2nd Rd, Pattaya. I don't know if it's still there. Had there been a fire, it was going to cause casualties for sure. There is just no consideration given for safety in LOS, so far as I can see.

<Initial investigations suggest sparks from welding equipment being used to construct a steel roof at the rear of an Arabic Restaurant caused...............>

Nothing about that statement surprises me. The welders here don't care about their eyesight, so why would they take any precautions about safety?

<Initial investigations suggest sparks from welding equipment being used to construct a steel roof at the rear of an Arabic Restaurant caused...............>

Nothing about that statement surprises me. The welders here don't care about their eyesight, so why would they take any precautions about safety?

Ooops.

"sparks from welding equipment being used to construct a steel roof at the rear of an Arabic Restaurant caused an estimated 100 Million Baht fire"

And I bet theres no sign of the welders responsible.. their stupidity not being careful where the sparks are dropping has caused peoples livelihoods lost.

Does this mean that the restaurant owner that commissioned the welders to be there is responsible ?