Thais warned not to abuse visa waiver for Japan

Lite Beer

THAI-JAPANESE RELATIONS
Thai warned not to abuse visa waiver for Japan

BANGKOK: -- Japan has issued a warning to Thais not to stay in Japan beyond the 15-day visa free period or risk being banned for life.

The warning came after a number of Thai visitors abused the visa-free privilege to enter Japan and illegally work there.

Since July 1, Japan introduced free visas for tourists from Thailand who wish to stay in the country up to 15 days. The decision prompted a sharp increase in tourists and about 200 of them reportedly entered Japan with the intention of overstaying and seeking work.

The warning issued today said that any Thais who wished to stay in Japan must apply for a visa before entering Japan. If they enter Japan under the visa-free arrangement and face an untoward incident that forces them to stay on, they must contact the immigration authorities before the 15-days expire.

If they stayed on in Japan without extending the visa, they will be considered illegal. "If they are found to be illegally staying in Japan, they will be immediately deported and banned from returning for between five to ten years. If the case goes to court and they are sentenced to a jail term, they would be banned for life, the warning stipulated.

The Japanese authorities have so far decided against revoking the visa waiver for Thai tourists as the situation is considered under control. The bureau urged Thais to respect the visa-free privilege and to refrain from breaking the rules, which could eventually sour Bangkok’s relationship with Tokyo.

Japan relaxed visa requirements for a number of Southeast Asian countries this year, as part of efforts to boost tourism to promote the country’s economic growth strategy.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-22

Perhaps the Japanese could charge 500 Yen to all Thai tourists entering Japan so they get a better class of tourist from Thailand, just saying !!

They already do.

And more....

Passengers Departing Overseas from Narita Airport *1 Passenger Service Facility Charge (PSFC)

Adult 2,040 yen

Child 1,020 yen

Passenger Security Service Charge (PSSC) Adult and child 500 yen

Source: http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/news/pssc/price.html

Makes Thailand look kind of cheap, even if they do add the 500 baht to the 700 already charged.

Edited by impulse

I find it quite astonishing that Japan allows the citizens of a Third World country to freely enter its territory without a visa for 15 days! It should not be surprised then when said citizens of said Third World country decide to try their luck there and remain illegally.

3rd World? I think the term they like to use today is "Developing/Emerging Economy" - Also I can't see why a Thai would want to abuse the Visa waver, maybe this is some overhyped news story from the Japanese.

post-64252-0-25939300-1382439614_thumb.j

Edited by Maipenrai007

How's a honest yakuza pimp gonna get his girls then?

To be fair, Seoul Immigration has struggled with this for many years, and they have managed to hang on to the visa-free entry for Thais, despite the obvious blatant abuse and cheating. So it must be a case of money winning over principles in Japan too.

I find it quite astonishing that Japan allows the citizens of a Third World country to freely enter its territory without a visa for 15 days! It should not be surprised then when said citizens of said Third World country decide to try their luck there and remain illegally.

Obviously you've neve been to a third world country.

• Like 1

does japan also have a

500 baht per day overstay ?

jailing of people and so fort?

read the OP. Yes you can be jailed if it goes to court followed by a lifetime ban from re-entering. If the case doesn't go to court you can still get a 5 to 10 year ban.

3rd World? I think the term they like to use today is "Developing/Emerging Economy" - Also I can't see why a Thai would want to abuse the Visa waver, maybe this is some overhyped news story from the Japanese.

attachicon.gif185819_2268703135288_1011962499_n.jpg

You should have posted that photo in the "How big is a railway sleeper compartment" topic.

And which third world country is that?

To be fair, Seoul Immigration has struggled with this for many years, and they have managed to hang on to the visa-free entry for Thais, despite the obvious blatant abuse and cheating. So it must be a case of money winning over principles in Japan too.

I don't think that's the case at all. The vast majority don't overstay, so why should they be penalized because a few do? They best way to resolve the situation is to ban overstayers or jail them, and then others will be less likely to overstay. Maybe Thailand could try the same for all the overstaying farangs.

Why is it so surprising?

There are quite a lot of wealthy Thais, and visa free travel to Hong Kong and Singapore meant they were going to those places to shop for the weekend rather than Tokyo.

There are a few other cases where developed countries let in people from some developing countries visa-free. The UK generally allows it for a lot of countries where it doesn't have an embassy (i.e. Namibia, Timor-L'este, and lots of Pacific Island states, etc.), and also for some Commonwealth countries (Malaysia).

This seems to be particularly true where the residents of that country may have issues going to the nearest UK embassy in a neighbouring country (i.e. there was a relatively recent war between the two countries, or the nearest embassy is in a country which would require a visa in it's own right,)

The Japanese probably screen the visitors for appearance. The whiter the skin, the better chance of approval with no tick mark on follow up.

And which third world country is that?

maybe the one where 14% of adults can't read?

• Like 1

I don't think that's the case at all. The vast majority don't overstay, so why should they be penalized because a few do? They best way to resolve the situation is to ban overstayers or jail them, and then others will be less likely to overstay. Maybe Thailand could try the same for all the overstaying farangs.

Overstays who are arrested by the Japanese police are subject to up to 3m yen fine (950k Baht)

https://www.google.com/#q=japan+overstay+penalty

SOM NAM NA giggle.gif

Oh yes, "Som Nom Naa" which I believe translates to "I have lived in Thailand for many years and yet I only know these 3 words and a couple of other useless Thai phrases which I insist on using at any opportunity possible, even when the situation is totally incorrect such as here, to compensate for my lack of prowess with the Thai language. Look at me everyone. Look at how bad my Thai is".

Kudos to you and all the other "Som Nom Naa" spouting expats.

Farang is a racist word used by bigots and the uneducated. That being said, the vast majority of illegals in Thailand (check the facts) are from neighboring countries, Sri Lanka and India ... but they are cheap labour for the overlords here so no complaints there. However unlike Westerners they don't put much back into the Thai economy because they live on the cheap. So I use your words "I don't think that's the case at all (with Westerners overstaying) . The vast majority don't overstay, so why should they (all the Westerners in Thailand) be penalized because a few do?"

Farang is a racist word used by bigots and the uneducated. That being said, the vast majority of illegals in Thailand (check the facts) are from neighboring countries, Sri Lanka and India ... but they are cheap labour for the overlords here so no complaints there. However unlike Westerners they don't put much back into the Thai economy because they live on the cheap. So I use your words "I don't think that's the case at all (with Westerners overstaying) . The vast majority don't overstay, so why should they (all the Westerners in Thailand) be penalized because a few do?"

Basically everyone is using the word farang, not only the uneducated. I know its not polite, anyhow its being used, we have to live with it.

SOM NAM NA giggle.gif

Oh yes, "Som Nom Naa" which I believe translates to "I have lived in Thailand for many years and yet I only know these 3 words and a couple of other useless Thai phrases which I insist on using at any opportunity possible, even when the situation is totally incorrect such as here, to compensate for my lack of prowess with the Thai language. Look at me everyone. Look at how bad my Thai is".

Kudos to you and all the other "Som Nom Naa" spouting expats.

Someone needs a quiet cuddle.

• Like 1