Working In Thailand

would really appreciate your suggestions, advise, ideas. I have been planning on moving to Bangkok the latter part of ththis year. I will be 62, good health and would like to work even part time, really don't care what type of wor. I have 35 years Sales and marketing experience. Presently I am a Sales Manager of a Uniform company in Las Vegas, Nevada.. I realize the pay would be much less, but would like to put a few more $$in my pocket.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using my Sons computer, the best way to reach me is

[email protected]

Gordon Marsall

Las Vegas, Nv :o

understand one thing - you cannot work without a work permit, full time, part time or even voluntary. So you will have to go through the application process for that. You will only get issued a work permit if you are doing something a Thai can't do. The best thing is to find a company that has a vacancy and they will apply for the work permit for you. I think you will struggle to get part time work however, and also your age is against you.

And as a rule of thumb, each work permit costs the company 2 million baht in available investment (this is recoverable, but has to be shown within the assets of the company) and should also provide four additional jobs for Thais.

Would suggest that you go in for a consultancy type of thing, on your own, offering your expertise to others. That expertise may be in serving drinks, selling insurance, or cars / property, whatever. But under your own responsibility.

Then others are not at so much risk and may consider using your consultancy at your risk.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember one thing: In Thailand almost anything is possible, especially when someone tells it is not. You can work in Thailand without a work permit. Lots of people do. However, you will be subjected to "visa runs" every now and then. If you don't need to earn loads of money, English teaching is the most obvious solution. Work in this field is everywhere. Your age should not be a factor at all.

Many students often feel an older teacher has more experience in general.

To avoid the dreaded visa run, (I actually enjoyed it because it meant travel, but visiting Penang for tenth time gets old) you may qualify for a retirement visa due to your age. Once you got that, a work permit would be unnecessarry. It is a lot of trouble for them to get one for an employee.

Good luck.

The last I checked there were 50 states and Thailand was not one of them. You do not "move to Bangkok" with a plane trip. If you plan to retire here you need a retirement visa and that means no work. If you plan to work you need to form a company or work for someone else which allows you to obtain non immigrant visa and a work permit. This is serious business and you really need to check carefully into what you may be getting yourself into. If you really want to work believe you would be much better off to work there and visit here when you are not working.