OSX Mavericks Free Download

tominbkk

steve is not arround anymore, so things going alot more "m$ alike" ..

using Mavericks since a few months already, even the GM seed was not really usable, and there are already 2 follow up updates ..

things are not like they used to be without Steve ...

I have a one-year-old 15" MacPro laptop and downloaded the O/S at 3 a.m. to take advantage of faster bandwidth, and it took about 45 minutes on an advertised 16mb/second ISP. After downloading, the installation time took another 45 minutes. Don't do this in the middle of a busy workday or your favorite movie!

At the end of the installation, I got a heart-stopping message, something to the effect of.... "The installation could not complete because your MacIntosh hard drive is corrupted or damaged. You must use your boot-disk to reboot, reformat your hard drive, download the software again, and install again." Oh Lord.

On a hunch, I removed two USB peripherals (cooling pad and second monitor), tried re-installation, and 45 minutes later was rewarded with a successful installation and restart. Danced a small jig.

Two suggestions:
1) Be sure you have an iron-clad backup of all your data!
2) Make a boot-sector or boot disk beforehand. I would have been totally screwed had my installation permanently failed.

I like the 3-4 new features (out of 200) that I've tried, especially the additional conveniences they've built in for us multi-display users.

Cheers,
FH

Edited by Fookhaht

I like the 3-4 new features (out of 200) that I've tried, especially the additional conveniences they've built in for us multi-display users.

Cheers,

FH

Yeah, most of the multi screen features whee included in the first beta already .. i really love it if the menubar stays on the window you actually see on each screen.

but learn to NOT click n Menubar icons on the inactive scren, the text become Bolded ... so all icons move a few millimeter .. .thats really annoying and the chance you click the wrong one is really large ;)

Predictably, now that the new O/S is installed, the other APP updates and accompanying update notices are starting to flow to the Apple Store APP icon! I have PC'd for 30 years and am 1 year into my first MAC. The orderliness, already thought-through processes, and just overall user-friendliness make me want to kick myself for waiting so long to become a convert. wink.png

Mac's have always been this way, and are almost always virus free. I just ordered a new, top of the line Mac, my third. I would use nothing else.

• Like 2

steve is not arround anymore, so things going alot more "m$ alike" ..

using Mavericks since a few months already, even the GM seed was not really usable, and there are already 2 follow up updates ..

things are not like they used to be without Steve ...

After a week of using it, I think that what you say is not correct. I love it. Very stable and all kinds of nice new tweaks I keep discovering.

• Like 1

Predictably, now that the new O/S is installed, the other APP updates and accompanying update notices are starting to flow to the Apple Store APP icon! I have PC'd for 30 years and am 1 year into my first MAC. The orderliness, already thought-through processes, and just overall user-friendliness make me want to kick myself for waiting so long to become a convert. wink.png

Mac's have always been this way, and are almost always virus free. I just ordered a new, top of the line Mac, my third. I would use nothing else.

After using Windoze for 20 years, I took a bite off the mac, two years ago. I have no idea what took me so long to change over. It's been two years of not one error, in software or hardware. I'm using a macbook pro 2011, the more robust one, with 8 gig ram. I create a lot of music and video, as well as lots of high end graphics manipulation, and it is always rock solid. That and never worrying about another virus is enough for me to stay where I'm at. My macbook works better now than when I first got it, what a lovely piece of technology it is.

• Like 1

After using Windoze for 20 years, I took a bite off the mac, two years ago. I have no idea what took me so long to change over. It's been two years of not one error, in software or hardware. I'm using a macbook pro 2011, the more robust one, with 8 gig ram. I create a lot of music and video, as well as lots of high end graphics manipulation, and it is always rock solid. That and never worrying about another virus is enough for me to stay where I'm at. My macbook works better now than when I first got it, what a lovely piece of technology it is.

My new one is a 4 core 4gig with 32gb of ram and three flops of fusion drive and 3 flops of HDD, just got confirmation from the maker in Singapore......lol

My new one is a 4 core 4gig with 32gb of ram and three flops of fusion drive and 3 flops of HDD, just got confirmation from the maker in Singapore......lol

and how do you like your new one? Sounds nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I put Mavericks on my Mac Air the other day, there are issues... w00t.gif

One being in Picasa web albums, the link buttons do not work... sad.png

Tried going through a few Mac sites last night to see if there is a "fix" with no joy!... I am using Firefox, I suppose I should try working with another browser?

I'll wait before loading Mavericks on to the Mac Mini! wink.png

• 6 months later...

I have been running Mavericks since it was released and have had no problems whatsoever.

Me too, there was a couple of hick ups at the beginning, but that might have been just me wink.png .... no problems ..... go for it!

Downloaded it this morning and then headed out to lunch for the 51 minute install. Came back and everything is working fine. Only thing I had to do was to re-enter my WiFi password. Good to get it done before the inevitable afternoon thunderstorms and electrical cuts!

Hello All, in the past I've taken my Mac Mini to The Mall here and the Mac

store has reinstalled the OS for me because I got it from them, but I'm still

running 10.8.5.

I don't do much but movies, @ and surfing, how would improve my simple

requirements? No iPhone of any Pads.

rice555

• 3 weeks later...

I was a slow adapter from mountain lion. It worked fine, why mess with it. So finally was bored

one night and upgraded my 2009 2.66 gig Macbook pro with 8 gigs of ram. Hands down the

least painful upgrade I have ever done. No settings needed to be changed, I was sort of doing

a double take afterwardsw to make sure it really had upgraded. ( the big wave was the tip off ). I run an

external screen, so having the double menu bars is a real help. And so far, it runs perfectly.

I did just install the latest update, but did not notice any changes...

There some minor bugs. If you have your audio output connected to an amplifier you get a loud hum if you don't use any media that requires an audio output after about 20 seconds. Turn on music or SKYPE and it goes away, but the non use hum is very attention getting. Never had that with Mountain Lion. The audio level selection also works differently. Other than that, it all seems to be working well. Sure is nice to have full screen capability when using multiple displays.

There some minor bugs. If you have your audio output connected to an amplifier you get a loud hum if you don't use any media that requires an audio output after about 20 seconds. Turn on music or SKYPE and it goes away, but the non use hum is very attention getting. Never had that with Mountain Lion. The audio level selection also works differently. Other than that, it all seems to be working well. Sure is nice to have full screen capability when using multiple displays.

Not had the hum issue... on Mac air or Mini.... when plugging in amp ....wink.png