South Korean man found dead in a rented room in Pattaya

webfact

South Korean man found dead in a rented room in Pattaya
The Nation

Pattaya, Chon Buri - A South Korean tourist was found dead in a rented room in South Pattaya Thursday, police said.

The man was identified by his passport as Kang Changryu, 44.

Police said the body was found by the manager of the apartment building, who went to the room to check whether the tourist would check out. He checked in on October 18 and paid his rent until Wednesday.

The manager was alerted by the stench from inside the room and opened it to find the tourist's body.

Police said the man had apparently died three days earlier and might die of head injury after he accidentally fell.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-24

accidently fell? yea right!

Believe it or not, it's been known to happen, especially when alcohol is involved. (I have no idea if that was the case in this unfortunate incident.)

In 2012, six people accidentally died like this in the UK according to official statistics.

post-155923-0-85493400-1382608361_thumb.

Edited by Morakot

You know - sometimes we're just one step away.....

I look at some of the stairways at landmarks/temples...some bars and wonder how someone unsteady ever makes it whether just a miss-step of alcohol assisted.

Went over the bridge at Ob Luang the other day - I'm 6'4" and there is NO way I could reach the hand rail - it was not a comfortable moment.....different from what happened to in the OP - but still one step away.....

My house has all teak furniture - I'd bet it's pretty unforgiving.....

They didn't mention if it was due to slipping on wet ceramics. Bloody dangerous in here and you never really get used it it. Sprained my left wrist just a couple of months ago when slipping on the floor that had gotten some rain on it.

• Like 1

Believe it or not, it's been known to happen, especially when alcohol is involved. (I have no idea if that was the case in this unfortunate incident.)

In 2012, six people accidentally died like this in the UK according to official statistics.

So it happens and therefore may explain this unfortunate incident.

Why is there always people who doubt fricking everything???

It's a condition common to those whose level of engagement in a given social reality is relatively low.

Rest in Peace, Korean traveller.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 2

Why is there always people who doubt fricking everything???

It's a condition common to those whose level of engagement in a given social reality is relatively low.

Rest in Peace, Korean traveller.

The problem is that we live in a town that is at times, to say the least, statistically abnormal where unfortunate, lonely deaths are concerned. Whether it be falling from a balcony in your condo block (a balcony on a floor other than the one with your apartment), slipping in the shower, or self-harming to completion with no previous indication of depression or other personal issues. This does tend to make one very cynical, and can lead, unfortunately, to a position where one assumes as a starting position that some form of cover-up is taking place, without examining, or waiting for, the facts. I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment regarding this unfortunate Korean gentleman, but disagree that the cynical view is indicative of a lack of engagement, in fact I would suggest it's often quite the opposite.

• Like 1

Could it be anything sinister? Are there cases of that? I'm thinking some argument with a visitor of sorts

Why would you want to start that speculative rumour on here, the story not interesting enough for you?

accidently

The problem is that we live in a town that is at times, to say the least, statistically abnormal where unfortunate, lonely deaths are concerned. Whether it be falling from a balcony in your condo block (a balcony on a floor other than the one with your apartment), slipping in the shower, or self-harming to completion with no previous indication of depression or other personal issues. This does tend to make one very cynical, and can lead, unfortunately, to a position where one assumes as a starting position that some form of cover-up is taking place, without examining, or waiting for, the facts. I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment regarding this unfortunate Korean gentleman, but disagree that the cynical view is indicative of a lack of engagement, in fact I would suggest it's often quite the opposite.

Statistically abnormal? Those would be the statistics that you generate in your head or do you have some relevant to Pattaya?

The Actor Willaim Holden (Bridge on the River Kwai) is a case in point - drunk, fell and cut his head, then passed out and bled to death.

Given the brilliant minds of the Thai police (without details), the head injury could've been to the back of the head whereas the body could've been found face down and the conclusion would be, yes an accidental fall.

How many people have died from unusual circumstances in Pattaya over the past year (and previous years), including all the people who just fell off their high rise balconies. If he were just drunk, did a slip and fall (given the apartment had a flat floor), his head had to of been made of egg shells for it to kill him. Also taking into account the average Asian is fairly thin, below average (western) height, that gravity would be less of a pull on him. Take an average (white, being the most likely) Westerner of the same age range, then your talking about between (of the typical) 230-300+ lbs, mid-section heavy (the Ethiopian, pear shaped or hen shaped - small head, big body with a pair of short chicken legs)....then yes, gravity would surely crack open that soft noggin.

They didn't mention if it was due to slipping on wet ceramics. Bloody dangerous in here and you never really get used it it. Sprained my left wrist just a couple of months ago when slipping on the floor that had gotten some rain on it.

Agree.............in many case the tiles used here are not the "non slip" variety and are extremely dangerous when wet.

I bought some tile etching fluid and treated the tiles on the first house I bought here after slipping badly, but not falling, so easy to see how something like this can happen.

Given the brilliant minds of the Thai police (without details), the head injury could've been to the back of the head whereas the body could've been found face down and the conclusion would be, yes an accidental fall.

How many people have died from unusual circumstances in Pattaya over the past year (and previous years), including all the people who just fell off their high rise balconies. If he were just drunk, did a slip and fall (given the apartment had a flat floor), his head had to of been made of egg shells for it to kill him. Also taking into account the average Asian is fairly thin, below average (western) height, that gravity would be less of a pull on him. Take an average (white, being the most likely) Westerner of the same age range, then your talking about between (of the typical) 230-300+ lbs, mid-section heavy (the Ethiopian, pear shaped or hen shaped - small head, big body with a pair of short chicken legs)....then yes, gravity would surely crack open that soft noggin.

Someones been watching too much CSI...

Its easy enough to slip and crack your head - on what and where the head is hit would have a far greater impact on the outcome than body size.

As to the question of suspicious deaths of single men in Pattaya - There has to be a far greater number of single males in Pattaya than in many other tourist destinations.

Added to which there has to be a far greater number of single males drinking to excess in Pattaya than many other tourist destinations.

A Husband and Wife tend not to holiday in Pattaya, and when a husband and Wife holiday he is less likely to drink himself to excess.

Added to which if an accident were to happen a witness can raise the alarm and get help.

All these 'single factors' add up and perhaps explain and balance the statistic of Single Men meeting their demise and getting into difficulties in a destination such as Pattaya which attracts single men....

Someones been watching too much CSI...

Its easy enough to slip and crack your head - on what and where the head is hit would have a far greater impact on the outcome than body size.

As to the question of suspicious deaths of single men in Pattaya - There has to be a far greater number of single males in Pattaya than in many other tourist destinations.

Added to which there has to be a far greater number of single males drinking to excess in Pattaya than many other tourist destinations.

A Husband and Wife tend not to holiday in Pattaya, and when a husband and Wife holiday he is less likely to drink himself to excess.

Added to which if an accident were to happen a witness can raise the alarm and get help.

All these 'single factors' add up and perhaps explain and balance the statistic of Single Men meeting their demise and getting into difficulties in a destination such as Pattaya which attracts single men....

CSI is fantasy Hollywood, tend to leave such shows to people who are fans of "Friends", "American Idol" & whichever current 'Doctor' or 'Lawyer' show is going on in America. However being from LA, same as the New Yorker's do, we have names for those people with I will withhold; same as for men who drive mini-coopers, minivans, scooters or wear their collared shirts with the collar in a straight up fashion.

It's attention to detail and the ability to think outside the box in real life scenarios or directions & given the information is very little to go on, any number of things could of happened. But this is "Pattaya". Also there wouldn't be any witnesses at least those which would come forward. Why get involved & thus become a responsible party (typical stance to Asian nationals).

Such considered details would be your base Thai apartment - a single room with a wood dresser against one wall, either a cheap small wood desk & chair or nothing else except a single bed with no posts; and a toilet/shower room attached. A window or not, a balcony/porch or not. No cited damage to furniture & no vomiting nor suspected intoxication cited, you guys threw that one in, but will go with it considering Sin City.

Better to not think like the police here, i.e. linear thought. What could also of happened is that he took a bar girl or boy back to the apartment at a late hour & no one saw them go into the room (even if someone did, Thai police have a habit of not investigating or interviewing others unless the victim was a Thai). Both drunk, though maybe he was more 'Mao Mak'...they got into an argument (or it was a robbery) and she/he pushed him hard, in a backwards fall his leg(s) partially clipped the edge of the bed (increasing the force & momentum) (slightest, airborne). The extra force of impact might bust his head. She/he could of panicked & fled. Or the same scenario with a ladyboy could've hit him on the head with force & object; thus killing him. He/she just needs to lay him on the floor in/on the blood pool/spray, take only his cash & go (having no cash after a night out drinking doesn't mean you were robbed). Keep in mind, Thai police don't dust for fingerprints. Anything could of happened with the lack of details, but with Pattaya's reputation, the worst case is an easier read.