Thai language camp

yourauntbob

So I would love to take a few weeks to a month and completely immerse myself in the Thai language. Unfortunately this is just about impossible for me to do at home. Every time my girlfriend agrees to only speak Thai we are back to English in about an hour. Most of my Thai friends speak mostly English with me and give the typical look of confusion when I try to speak Thai with them. The only people that will really speak with me in Thai are taxi drivers. I have nice long conversations with them so I know my Thai cant be that bad.

Anyone know a place organized or otherwise where a person like myself could spend a bit of time simply absorbing the language? I am talking about a place that people would be willing to converse but are not interested in learning English.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Try some small Thai society or hobby / interest clubs. Bird watching, motorbike and car clubs, fishing, specific dog breed clubs, book clubs, [ amway if you are that way inclined ] etc etc .Thais involved in these sorts of activities are always interested in what the foreigner's opinion is on the subject. And will willing accept you into their group. Sport is another great area to meet Thais that aren't overly interested in learning English. Heading down to the local futsol or basketball court is a great place to practice your Thai and meet new Thai friends. If you are the shy type it may feel a little awkward at first but once they get to know you there is nothing better.

Try some small Thai society or hobby / interest clubs. Bird watching, motorbike and car clubs, fishing, specific dog breed clubs, book clubs, [ amway if you are that way inclined ] etc etc .Thais involved in these sorts of activities are always interested in what the foreigner's opinion is on the subject. And will willing accept you into their group. Sport is another great area to meet Thais that aren't overly interested in learning English. Heading down to the local futsol or basketball court is a great place to practice your Thai and meet new Thai friends. If you are the shy type it may feel a little awkward at first but once they get to know you there is nothing better.

thats some sound advise, i just need to figure out where/how i can sign up. my language skills are not good enough to research it on my own. maybe i can get the missus on it.

thanks

"a bit of time simply absorbing the language? I am talking about a place that people would be willing to converse but are not interested in learning English."

--> Taxi drivers, they aren't the best bcoz do u want them to try to be understanding u while they are hurtling down the road dodging motorbikes/pedestrians?! Besides, that, most of my taxi rides aren't long enough to get a good 'practice' session in.

--> hawkers in the market (they will pay attention and 'help' bcoz you haven't paid them for the som.tum yet!) CAPTIVE AUDIENCE! 555)

--> The bus works, as it is safer/longer than taxi rides. ... and they 'common' people are more friendly than the 'hi-so' folks in malls [your friends too, i assume]./

i LAUGH my ass off everytime a thai person TELLS (not ask) me that i speak fluent Thai because my girl/wife taught me. HAHAHA

As you said, in an hour it's back to the easy way (Thai)...so we never learn Thai.

the last option is to do what i did: date an Issan girl who works in a factory. She didn't go to college, so she didn't get much English. SO, it's the hard way, but you will for sure meet another culture, another language, and have a profound adventure. :^)

The last option is to come with me to the Market and hang out with my Thai friends, who only ask me occasional curiosities about English: it's 100% colloquial Thai.

PM me,

M

8.25 pm tonite is ทองเนื้อเก้า night on channel 3. It has an almost cult following, on monday and tuesday and is well worth watching for a laugh and to practice one's listening skills.

It is about a very attractive, self centred, alcohol loving women named ลำยอง and her family who live in the slums of Bkk. If you guys are shacked up with a Thai misses then you may already be being forced to watch it. Check it out ! tongue.png

8.25 pm tonite is ทองเนื้อเก้า night on channel 3. It has an almost cult following, on monday and tuesday and is well worth watching for a laugh and to practice one's listening skills.

It is about a very attractive, self centred, alcohol loving women named ลำยอง and her family who live in the slums of Bkk. If you guys are shacked up with a Thai misses then you may already be being forced to watch it. Check it out ! tongue.png

Quite an interesting show, I watched the first couple of episodes, as thought it'd be a good way to practice my Thai listening. I'm hoping that I'll have the dedication to watch more Thai drama shows, although I'm just not much of a TV person (I do watch that breakfast news show in the mornings, although most of the vocabulary is well beyond my capabilities so I just "half watch" while I'm getting ready for work).

My students all watch it though, which is quite useful, as I was using it as an example today to help explain a few storytelling concepts to them (Plot/Characters/Setting etc), since most of them aren't familiar with the same movies or books which I am.

• Like 1