Sunflower Festival in Mae Hong Son

Fiddlesticks

Does anyone have any connections with a MHS local that can give us a heads-up when the sunflower fields are blooming in their full beauty? I have yet to see them but definitely want to get some serious photos this year. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

I can assure you they haven’t bloomed yet, having just returned from a road trip which took me through that area a few days ago. On the 1263 heading out of Khun Yuam there is a major viewing area. Generally they just say November-December.

Hey VF, thanks. I kinda figured as much when you said you were in that neck of the woods recently. I also googled to learn about the Nov-Dec timeframe but I am hoping we all can get some report(s) to let us know when the big show is near full bloom. Let's hope on of our fellow TV'ers will be able to give us a shout one way or another.

Immediately off topic,heaven forbid,I'd like some info on this years Doi Hua Mae Kham festival,already I believe the "big" day is the 12th of next month.So,having been caught up in the celebrations a couple of years back.This year I like would like to do a Guest House/clean home stay on site and not be panicking in advance about a return drive to Rim Taan/Thoed Thai,which I can only speak well of but it's a long way if you've had a few.Telephone numbers/web sites in Hua Mae Kham greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance Kim

We stayed at Khun Yuam Resort in the past and loved it. We even became FaceBook friends with the owner but when we drove up to the hilltop location last week it was deserted and a little rundown looking.

Perhaps his business is seasonal, and it isn’t the season yet. He did say there had been a death in the family but one never knows. The owner of the service station seems to have a place and gave me his card but I am not sure where it is right now, maybe I left it in the car.

It is a beautiful area but as we drove to Mae Chaem, we couldn’t help but marvel at massive quantity of corn stalks just waiting on the steep hillsides for some dry weather so they can burn it. I would suggest that late November might be a good time to view the flowers but at the peak time accommodation may be a problem.

I took this off a friends FaceBook page. 1st November to 10th December with the opening ceremony on the 9th of November. That says to me, mid to late November would be the best time to visit.

600618_388311434605905_1937742019_n.jpg

Thanks much VF. I'm planning to make the journey sometime in the third week of November. I hope the weather will cooperate.

If you continue on up that road to Mae Chaem the scenery can be quite lovely, depending on the time of year. The road itself is not in great shape, however.

Mae+Chaem++002.jpg

This photo gave me a warm and fuzzy. All that green I miss so much. Back home soon :)

• Like 1

If you continue on up that road to Mae Chaem the scenery can be quite lovely, depending on the time of year. The road itself is not in great shape, however.

Mae+Chaem++002.jpg

This photo gave me a warm and fuzzy. All that green I miss so much. Back home soon smile.png

THis is my everyday view, so any photos of green is appreciated :D

post-6366-0-29108100-1383118247_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I took this off a friends FaceBook page. 1st November to 10th December with the opening ceremony on the 9th of November. That says to me, mid to late November would be the best time to visit.

600618_388311434605905_1937742019_n.jpg

Thanks much VF. I'm planning to make the journey sometime in the third week of November. I hope the weather will cooperate.

Don't know about the guys, but I am looking forward to a trip report, hint, hint.smile.png

• Like 1