What is the process to register my name in the blue House Registration Book for my condo?

I just found out that I can save on the 3.3% property sales tax when I sell if my name has been registered in the blue House Registration Book for at least one year. Can someone explain the process for me? What documents do I require aside from my passport? Thanks!

Get Thai citizenship and then you can be in a Blue book , otherwise you are out of luck

BTW: Who told you that you can save 3.3% property sales tax ? because you can't, you will have to pay a transfer tax based upon the Land Office's assessment of the property. You can save on capital gains tax if you legally own property for a minimum of 5 years

Get Thai citizenship and then you can be in a Blue book , otherwise you are out of luck

BTW: Who told you that you can save 3.3% property sales tax ? because you can't, you will have to pay a transfer tax based upon the Land Office's assessment of the property. You can save on capital gains tax if you legally own property for a minimum of 5 years

My agent was the one who advised me on the above.... perhaps he wasn't aware of the rules pertaining to foreigners..

Yes I do legally own the unit however I will be lucky if capital gains are an issue if I can actually sell for a profit....

Time to get a new agent if he doesn't know that a foreigner cannot be in a Blue Book !

Not strictly true.

I have a Blue Book and my name is in it.

Not on the main pages however -the detail is on the inside cover.

This entry is acceptable at immigtarion when I do my 90 day reporting.

Local City Hall added my name.

You must be in the sticks since both city hall and Immigration are wrong.

Foreigners should be listed in a Yellow Book but that still won't entitle you to medical care in government hospitals, no matter how many TV members claim it is so

If Banglamung(Pattaya) is the 'sticks'then I live in the 'sticks'.

You need a Thai I.D. card for free Thai government health cover.

My Blue Book only specifies where I reside -nothing more.

I suspect both Pattaya City Hall and Jomtein Immigration know what they are doing

Edited by Delight

You must be in the sticks since both city hall and Immigration are wrong.

Foreigners should be listed in a Yellow Book but that still won't entitle you to medical care in government hospitals, no matter how many TV members claim it is so

Is the Yellow Book the House Registration Book for foreigners??? Perhaps that will do??

Btw, my agent informed me there are four types of taxes if I sell my condo?? However the 3.3% tax he said was a "special tax"??? Have you heard of this?

I am from the UK and I recently purchased a condo in joint names with my Thai wife through a Bangkok lawyer. When it came to registration at the District office I was advised that whilst my wife would receive a 'blue book' ,I would only receive a 'yellow book', which I now hold.

Edited by cassde

The regulations require blue books to be issued to Thai citizens and foreigners with permanent residence. Yellow books should be issued to all foreign temporary residents. Since district offices seem to have a lot of power and many officials working in them seem extremely ignorant of their own regulations, it is not unknown for a foreign temporary resident to be entered in a blue book but it is more normal for officials to refuse to issue a book to a foreigner at all.

Universal healthcare was originally issued to everyone in a tabien baan but that was before the Civil Registration Act of 2008 that made it compulsory for District Offices to register all temporary residents (in yellow books). That substantially increased the number of foreigners in tabian baans and the healthcare regulations were amended to restrict new regulations to Thai nationals. Those already in before that (including myself) are grandfathered. Again some officials have apparently wrongly registered foreigners in the healthcare system after the regulations were changed, although I am not sure how the computer accepts them.

I have never heard of an exemption from property sales tax based on being in a blue book registered at that property. Sounds like the principle, private residence exemption on cap gains tax in the UK but I think it is not correct. My understanding is that individual sellers all pay are all treated the same, regardless of whether they are registered at that address or not. Corporate sellers are taxed differently.

Very informative! Thank you!

"I will be lucky if capital gains are an issue if I can actually sell for a profit...." As mentioned above, your sale price may be irrelevant. You will more likely be taxed at the valuation on record in the local tax office. This has been my experience.

• Like 1

The regulations require blue books to be issued to Thai citizens and foreigners with permanent residence. Yellow books should be issued to all foreign temporary residents. ...

Good abstract in line with my own knowledge and experiences.

Foreigners with permanent residendency permits are in the blue book (they have a person ID starting with digit 8, same as the happy few who gained citizenship/Thai passport). I am only a number 6 having a yellow book tongue.png (6 is for foreigners with temporary stay/extension).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1