Phuket’s illegal tour van drivers granted temporary amnesty

Lite Beer

Phuket’s illegal tour van drivers granted temporary amnesty
Phuket Gazette -

van.jpg

The illegal Phuket van drivers gathered at Sanam Chai field, opposite Phuket Provincial Hall. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: The Phuket Land Transportation Office (PLTO) will issue documents to certify illegal tour van drivers who have applied to become legal so they may continue working until their applications are processed.

The news follows a group of illegal van drivers appealing to Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut yesterday for the right to keep working until their applications to become legal are approved.

“We are willing to register and become legal, but the process can take up to six months. In that time, we are not allowed to use our vehicles to work,” said Phuket van operator representative Wirat Jong.

“This is a problem for us. We need to work to earn money. If we cannot use our vans, how can we pay our bills? And the application process takes quite some time, not just a couple of days,” he explained.

The request filed at Provincial Hall yesterday was received by Phuket Vice Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada and Col Sermphan Sirikong, chief of the Phuket City Police. Also present were PLTO chief Terayout Prasertphol and his chief technical adviser Jaturong Kaewkasi.

Mr Terayout delivered the good news for the drivers.

“We will issue documents to certify any van drivers who are waiting for their applications to become legal so they will not be arrested in the meantime,” he said.

“We will try to process their applications as quickly as possible. Any illegal van drivers who want to register, please let us know at the Phuket Transportation Office. We will continue to receive applications for registration until December,” Mr Terayout added.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-s-illegal-tour-van-drivers-granted-temporary-amnesty-22622.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-10-26

“This is a problem for us. We need to work to earn money. If we cannot use our vans, how can we pay our bills? And the application process takes quite some time, not just a couple of days,”

So why on earth did you buy a van before you were legal? Idiot...

They should be fined/charged and have their vehicles cofiscated though not have the correct, required insurance...

• Like 2

<snip>

<snip>

They can't start the process of getting legal till they have the van in possession.

I never knew that. What a backward system, almost unbelievable...

If there is more than one person traveling, it makes a lot more sense to take a private taxi. At least that way you can tell them to slow down. No more mini-van experience for me! I'm still shook up from six months ago when a driver was passing on blind corners, going way too fast, only to stop for a half hour rest stop. Several of us took video and sent complaints to TAT. Got some emails back but I am sure nothing happened to the driver or company.

“This is a problem for us. We need to work to earn money. If we cannot use our vans, how can we pay our bills? And the application process takes quite some time, not just a couple of days,”

They should be fined/charged and have their vehicles cofiscated though not have the correct, required insurance...

Who complains when they can't find a job and to feed their families they have to turn to crime... who's houses will they rob ?

This amnesty is a soft solution than we would see in the West, nevertheless it prevents a potential greater issue down the line. 

Laws have been flouted because for too long everyone has been getting away with it - this amnesty gives all a chance to get legal. I read that only those who have applied for a licence get the amnesty which is fair enough. I hope this frees up the police to come down harder on those without the appropriate licence - though on Phuket I doubt it... Its almost a country and a law unto itself. 

While legalising these van drivers would it be too much to ask to educate them? i.e. driving tests, driver education etc?

At least this is a step up on the Tuk Tuks which are well and truly out of control. 

No sadly they are TOTALLY IN CONTROL!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They should be fined/charged and have their vehicles cofiscated though not have the correct, required insurance...

Who complains when they can't find a job and to feed their families they have to turn to crime... who's houses will they rob ?

This amnesty is a soft solution than we would see in the West, nevertheless it prevents a potential greater issue down the line.

Laws have been flouted because for too long everyone has been getting away with it - this amnesty gives all a chance to get legal. I read that only those who have applied for a licence get the amnesty which is fair enough. I hope this frees up the police to come down harder on those without the appropriate licence - though on Phuket I doubt it... Its almost a country and a law unto itself.

While legalising these van drivers would it be too much to ask to educate them? i.e. driving tests, driver education etc?

At least this is a step up on the Tuk Tuks which are well and truly out of control.

Agree , Its certainly Logical . Anything that keeps them away from the Tuk Tuk Brigade .

• Like 1

If there is more than one person traveling, it makes a lot more sense to take a private taxi. At least that way you can tell them to slow down. No more mini-van experience for me! I'm still shook up from six months ago when a driver was passing on blind corners, going way too fast, only to stop for a half hour rest stop. Several of us took video and sent complaints to TAT. Got some emails back but I am sure nothing happened to the driver or company.

5 5 5 5 5 ...You Want to Try Those " Visa Run " Guys , these are the Worst I've Ever Seen , But I bet they are Legal ! Big Deal , get these guys though Quick because

they simply cant be any Worse .

Thats really living life on the Edge , Much safer taking the Bungee Jump with a Dogjie Rope !

not one word about saftey....these drivers need to be ''certified'' they think anyone can use a simple drivers license to drive a coach....this is why so many perish in these countries the lack of rules and laws...remember ''SAFTEY LAST''....

Let's have an amnesty for all those breaking the law then!

Money trumps safety every time. Drivers are either legal or not legal. If they are working illegally then throw the book at them.

Are you saying that a piece of paper makes you a safe driver?sad.png

It simply amazes me the number of farongs who think a piece of paper turns a driver into a safe driver. They completely miss out on the reality of the whole situation. A license does not change ones driving habits. Driver training will. That goes for both licensed and unlicensed as well as the idiot farongs who have never been a bike in their life. They come to Phuket show an international driving license "some times" get on a bike and get into as well as cause accidents.

It is time people get off their high and mighty high horse about being legal and start to consider safety first. Then climb back up on there high and mighty high horse about what is legal and what is not.

Besides I realize Phuket is a nation unto it's self but in Thailand they are changing the laws so that illegal things are OK. Don't think for a minute that you live in a different country that can't happen to you.sad.png

For those of you who missed it I was being sarcastic.tongue.png

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1

Amazing that these illegal drivers or van drivers in general cause so many deaths in Thailand but they are granted amnesty and allowed

to continue to work. But when someone is actually doing something safe and has value like teaching the next generation "illegally"

they get the book thrown at them.

How difficult would it be for a company to find legal drivers?

What the government is saying there are no repercussions for committing a crime such as hiring illegal workers

or workers that are not either qualified nor have the proper documentation.

The corruption goes on and the loss of life closely follows. Pathetic Thailand, I would say you can do better but

I really don't think that's the case. bah.gif

I think some of the drivers are already doing "random drug testing" while on the job. Yes, what is required to be legal, other than pay a fee? Insurance? Training? monitoring? Vehicle inspection? What can be the answer, oh wise ones? My money is on the fee aspect....

I think some of the drivers are already doing "random drug testing" while on the job. Yes, what is required to be legal, other than pay a fee? Insurance? Training? monitoring? Vehicle inspection? What can be the answer, oh wise ones? My money is on the fee aspect....

Insurance, different registration and vehicle inspection.

OMG....These "Death Traps On Wheels" don't even have Legal, licensed Drivers....

What about SAFETY OF TOURISTS AND RESIDENTS OF THE COUNTRY????

Can we "The People" pass a law that will now hold the Phuket Land Transportation

Office, it's Officials both liable in Criminal and Civil Courts for any ACCIDENTS, and

INJURIES or DEATHS that occur by these "DRIVERS"

Each of these Drivers and Vans should be required to have the Son, Daughter, Wife

Mother or Father of one PLTO Officer's family in the van at all times...............

Typical Thai travesty and stupidity. When will the authorities learn from so many mistakes, so many accidents and turning a blind eye to illegal activities, unless of course it's a " falang 2 committing the offence.