Annoying 7-Eleven doorbell only in Thailand?

Dag Ekeberg

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep the snide remarks coming

Well Dag it would seem that only you and two other people have a problem with

the 7/11 bell, that tell you anything?? sad.png

It tells me that Thaivisa members don’t use Facebook.

Prove me wrong.

Again, that link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=646847505355434&set=a.646847488688769.1073741827.455465341160319&type=1&theater

Probably hit the nail on the head there!! FB takes up wayyyy to much time twitter is 100% better plus less rules so can say what ya want without some keyboard warrior editing it ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by adweb00

It certainly isn't in the US 7-11's I've been in and I'm right with you on this... I have found this ding/dong most annoying for the few minutes I'm in the store, imagine what it does to the employees all day long.

And sure common sense tells me that the ding/dong is to alert the employees that someone has entered/exited HOWEVER having said that there are just some locations that it just lacks sense because there is someone coming in/out the door every 5-15 seconds.. Yes sure maybe in a rural area on some desolate road where there is only 1 or 2 employees then it would serve its purpose, but certainly not in a store of high volume and 5-8 employees working at any given time.

It is horrendous. I've actually reached up and unplugged it once and got a few stares about that...Other times its melody is so driven in my brain that I begin to say "Ding..dong" thruout the store and they look at me like I'm the crazy one. Try it..!! Walk around the store from the time you enter til you leave repeating "DING DONG" and the looks you get really make you wonder who is the crazy one...

It is sad that posts on here of interest that people encounter in Thailand have to face the remarks and insults of fellow expats.

• Like 1

That bell is a ridiculous nuisance and serves no purpose in most 7-11's. The intention of it was to alert employees of a customer coming in/out if they were in the backroom actually doing work or hiding. But they do that in plain site by sitting down on a crate behind the register on their mobile.

For those of you who have NO problem with it or don't even notice it then it makes me wonder what type of home environment you come from. Many of us here are retired and like peace and only acceptable noises with a purpose (police/ambulance sirens, sky train going by)

• Like 1

I suspect for "Dag" it aint really about the bell, seriously who spends enough time at 7s for it to be an issue? I thin ol' "Dag is looking to get attention for some reason, maybe hoping the FB petition goes viral and then picked up by some news organization for it's "stupid news moment"..... then presto, Dag gets his 15 min. of fame..... YeaBiGgiEs you really go crazy and disconnect the bell? Fun.

I suspect for "Dag" it aint really about the bell, seriously who spends enough time at 7s for it to be an issue? I thin ol' "Dag is looking to get attention for some reason, maybe hoping the FB petition goes viral and then picked up by some news organization for it's "stupid news moment"..... then presto, Dag gets his 15 min. of fame..... YeaBiGgiEs you really go crazy and disconnect the bell? Fun.

Strange that you should put my name in quotes. Other than that, you make perfect sense.

• Like 1

One thing that I have found in my many years in Thailand is that Thai's can fall asleep anywhere and at anytime. My wife falls asleep in the car before I start the engine. So the "door bell" is necessary otherwise the OP would be complaining about lousy service and others would be "robbing" the store!

That bell is a ridiculous nuisance and serves no purpose in most 7-11's. The intention of it was to alert employees of a customer coming in/out if they were in the backroom actually doing work or hiding. But they do that in plain site by sitting down on a crate behind the register on their mobile.

For those of you who have NO problem with it or don't even notice it then it makes me wonder what type of home environment you come from. Many of us here are retired and like peace and only acceptable noises with a purpose (police/ambulance sirens, sky train going by)

I think we're at a point in history now when older people actually have much better hearing than young people.

Try search the net for the “MP3 Generation” and “Hearing Loss.”

• Like 1

I agree with the OP. The bell is annoying.

For those of you who have NO problem with it or don't even notice it then it makes me wonder what type of home environment you come from.

Probably one where our parents taught us basic civility and good manners so as to not walk into a business that is not our own and unplug the doorbell.

For those of you who have NO problem with it or don't even notice it then it makes me wonder what type of home environment you come from.

Probably one where our parents taught us basic civility and good manners so as to not walk into a business that is not our own and unplug the doorbell.

Well I do as I see fit. I live with standards and principles and if I see an opportunity where I can make an improvement to a "system" in place then I will. I won't stand aside, point, watch as most do waiting for someone like me to come along and actually DO SOMETHING! As little as unplugging a bell or running into a burning building or applying Heimlich or CPR to a person in need. But you go ahead and do as your parents have taught and defy evolving and watch as everything evolves around you.

So, is it only in Thailand? And if so, why? There are always plenty of kids in green shirts milling about the counter, no way they’re going to miss a new customer.
I suspect the next post will be a praise of the new bahtbus air horns. The more noise the better.

Dag if all you can find to complain about in Thailand is the 7/11 customer alert dingdong sound, maybe you should

take long break on a quet island somewhere and relax mate. thumbsup.gifcoffee1.gif

I think Dag is just getting started and decided to start slow and easy with the annoying bell as I certainly would start small and go to the rather larger issues at hand like No bank protection, crime on tourists, dishonest taxi drivers and so forth. As a worldwide tourist destination, Taxis become peoples 1st impression and again the last when people leave. But as long as TAT keeps bragging of the revenue generated due to tourism then, I guess we won't see the impact til it is too late.

If I see no purpose in something then I take action...while others stare and watch in amazement. Why would anyone allow something to continue going on and on when it serves no purpose other than a nuisance. Sure at one point in time and under certain circumstances and conditions it could be a LIFE SAVER, however in most 7-11 thru-out Bangkok there is a person coming in/out at minimum every 15 seconds.. NO NEED to be alerted to that... Perhaps give the employees EXECUTIVE AUTHORIZATION to make a company decision and determination to turn it on/off at certain critical times. say oooooo 10pm-5am Maybe the SLOWEST times during a 24hour day

I would go stark raving mad if I had to work full time in a Thai 7/11 store and hear that sound hundreds of time per day. In the busier stores it NEVER stops.

I worked 35 years in a STAT lab in a hospital....wish the sound of a door bell

was all I had to drive me mad....55555555555555

Well now it seems we have annoyances like this bestowed upon us on all levels of professions and again; for what REASON or PURPOSE does it serve? All laws, rules, regulations are made for a specific purpose and rarely are ever across the board. If it is "for the employees" as many have said and I also believe then why cause your customers the annoying nuisance. Instead get a wireless bluetooth system where every employee is mandated that they must wear an earpiece to hear that f'n "ding dong". No doubt in a matter of time this will make the Diagnostic Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders (DSM) and we will be laughed at by centuries of generations to come as to what we did to each other and the harm we caused. This "ding dong" will be the cause of our extinction.

DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...Ding

Dong...DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...

DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...DingDong...Ding

Okay, now we’re getting somewhere. Perhaps there’s somebody high up profiting wildly off of these substandard doorbells. I just went to have a look at one (while it was going off continuously since I was within a ten-feet radius of the door). I always thought it was a Sony product. It turns out to be a “Sunny”.

Mate i am sorry, but you really need a hobby, unless checking out 7-11 door bells is your hobbylaugh.png

I don't understand how people can just accept things. I thought sheep were only in the USA. Its this type of behavior of someone who exercises such acknowledgement of a problem, identification or cause of an issue and a solution that CHANGES things in this world. Sometimes it starts out as little as a doorbell which could eventually reach extraordinary limitless proportions of medical cures. As others walk around unknowing, unaffected and ignorant of their very surroundings. Those people will become victims as they are unaware of their surroundings and would rather poke fun at someone acting yet eventually benefit from the actions of that very same person, go figure. Maybe those people should walk around for the rest of their lives and every minute of sleep with a "dingdong" ringing in their ear while the rest of us who had sense and took action remain in peace. So those of you who oppose this topic deserve a life of forever dingdong in your ears if you are not already a dingdong.

Would you rather they had no 7/11s like Cambodia and Laod? That sound never even raised an eyebrow and if someone did a survey on most unlikely threads on thaivisa this very thread might come in #1

Thats rather extreme to make such proposal of NO 7-11 to the elimination of a dingdong doorbell. Thats like eliminating all automobiles because of some useless/senseless modification that has NOTHING to do with the benefit that the automobile provides and serves billions of people around the globe as does 7-11's... the dingdong does not EXCEPT those located on very rural roads or in towns where there may be a few customers every hour and 1 employee. Someone needs to write to 7-11 corporation to find out what the policy is which makes this doorbell a requirement in stores and the function it serves. In the USA its SOUTHLAND CORPORATION but here in Thailand I have no clue. However, I will contact a friend of mine right this moment who was a manager of a 7-11 for over a decade and see if he can offer some inside knowledge even though this nuisance hasn't been in any 7-11's Ive been in in the USA.

• Like 1

YeaBig dude U an Deg " " should meet up for beers, outside a 7 & to compare notes and plan strategy, the rest of us seem to be content with the fact that our local convenient is finally full stock of chang rolleyes.gif And Cuz a u guys, from now on the bell will not say DING DONG it will say TING TONG.

Edited by daoyai

YeaBig dude U an Deg " " should meet up for beers, outside a 7 & to compare notes and plan strategy, the rest of us seem to be content with the fact that our local convenient is finally full stock of chang rolleyes.gif And Cuz a u guys, from now on the bell will not say DING DONG it will say TING TONG.

Seems very important to some people to point out how unimportant this topic is… Makes me think hearing loss is rampant here. Perhaps it's a natural selection. People with perfect hearing come to Thailand, then decide to settle elsewhere...

• Like 1

Would you rather they had no 7/11s like Cambodia and Laod? That sound never even raised an eyebrow and if someone did a survey on most unlikely threads on thaivisa this very thread might come in #1

Thats rather extreme to make such proposal of NO 7-11 to the elimination of a dingdong doorbell. Thats like eliminating all automobiles because of some useless/senseless modification that has NOTHING to do with the benefit that the automobile provides and serves billions of people around the globe as does 7-11's... the dingdong does not EXCEPT those located on very rural roads or in towns where there may be a few customers every hour and 1 employee. Someone needs to write to 7-11 corporation to find out what the policy is which makes this doorbell a requirement in stores and the function it serves. In the USA its SOUTHLAND CORPORATION but here in Thailand I have no clue. However, I will contact a friend of mine right this moment who was a manager of a 7-11 for over a decade and see if he can offer some inside knowledge even though this nuisance hasn't been in any 7-11's Ive been in in the USA.

I suggest you should join Dag on that island I mentioned earlier because IMHO your are way more in need of

urgent help than Dag. You are on the edge man. w00t.gif

• Like 2