Tourist Visa Vs Retirement Visa

having just joined this morning i hope this question doesn't sound like a broken record, will be moving to pattaya in about a year and am wondering if there is much difference between the tourist visa and the retirement visa.

it is my understanding that both are good for a year if i am wrong can some one correct me, thanks

joe

a Tourist visa Thailand is for tourists visiting thailand...available at a thai embassy/consulate in your country or a 30 day tourist visa is available for free on entry to thailand at the airport depending on which country you are a citizen of.

VALIDITY OF A TOURIST VISA

The validity of a tourist visa is usually three months.

VALIDITY OF A STAY

Upon arrival, visitors with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand for a period not exceeding 60 days at any time.

a Retirement visa (O-A) Thailand is for retired expats over the age of 50

Initially you must apply for a Non-Immigrant visa before you enter the country from a Thai Embassy abroad. Permission will be for 90 days. for the first permit (single entry) but you can apply for a multiple max one year stay in Thailand .

note: Some applicants have receive one year retirement visa's before arriving to thailand also.

So what are the "real" practical differences between 1) a retirement visa and 2) a tourist visa, for a 12 month stay in Thailand - provided the letter of the law is followed and extensions (with visa runs and leaving the kingdom for short time) etc are applied for?

In other words, are there any other benefits of having a retired visa over a tourist visa? For example, can someone with a retirement visa:

1) Open a bank account,

2) Buy a phone service (land line or monthly cell phone billing) in his own name,

3) Buy a car in his own name,

4) Later on change the retirement visa into a different visa with a work permit?

This is a most interesting topic, as I am 50 years old and can apply for a Thai retirement visa, but I am not sure if I should.

In other words, are there any other benefits of having a retired visa over a tourist visa? For example, can someone with a retirement visa:

1) Open a bank account,

2) Buy a phone service in his own name,

4) Later on change the retirement visa into a different visa with a work permit?

i opened 2 bank accounts on a tourist visa, but that was a long time ago and i believe that has changed to requiring the farangs have a non immigrant visa or PR.

phone service, a soi dog can buy a mobile phone if he's got the money but i think you referring to a land line and that will take a non immigrant visa also.

you can't work on a retirement visa or a tourist visa so you are correct there.

if you buy the car and want a thai drivers license that can't be done with a tourist visa, some of my expats friends use international drivers licenses, but i think the thai drivers license is better as its a form of thai id, bank needs etc...

So, what is the real benifit of a retirement visa?? Nothing - other than a retirement visa allows you to skip the visa runs - out of the country - to renew your tourist visa?

did you just lose interest in the following in the last 10 minutes or what?

1) Open a bank account,

good luck troll

1) Open a bank account,

i opened 2 bank accounts on a tourist visa, but that was a long time ago and i believe that has changed to requiring the farangs have a non immigrant visa or PR.

phone service, a soi dog can buy a mobile phone if he's got the money but i think you referring to a land line and that will take a non immigrant visa also.

you can't work on a retirement visa or a tourist visa so you are correct there.

if you buy the car and want a thai drivers license that can't be done with a tourist visa, some of my expats friends use international drivers licenses, but i think the thai drivers license is better as its a form of thai id, bank needs etc...

Dunno Huski...I understood what you were saying. If the enquirer wants a bank account and a drivers license, and wants to stay a year, then a non-immigrant visa is the way to go. Don't go for the extension if he doesn't want to, just border hop each 90 days. On tourist visa's he'll have to get a new visa because he'll have to utilize the entries within 6 months of the date of issue of a tourist visa, whereas a multi non-immigrant remains valid for one year.