Police ex-chief Chalor freed after 19 years jail

Lite Beer

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sentenced to death, reduced to a 57 years by nibbsy .. serves 19 .. <deleted> ridiculous

The article says he served two thirds of his sentence. That would be 38 years if sentenced to 57 years. How did 19 get to be two thirds?

They used one of the pads they distribute to the schools to figure it out.tongue.png

My heart really bleeds for the poor convicted double murderer. He should never see the light of day again ! This is a travesty of justice, sadly typical of this Banana Republic....

How about the guy in Norway what did he get for all those murders 20 years. Is Norway not a civilized country? Are you saying they are a banana republic.

This is aimed at all the people who think Thailand is a banana republic or uncivilized country.

If it is so well known who has that diamond, wouldn't the Saudis have fingered that person for a hit?

I admit to total ignorance, except that I know the Saudis haven't forgotten or forgiven. I wouldn't want to be on their sheet list.

I thought you were the one that said every one knew. I am sure that if even 100 knew the Saudi's would have it in their possession now.wai2.gif

What's wrong with this place?

He shouldn't have seen the light of day again..... in any CIVILIZED country!

In most civilized countries it is normal to free a prisoner after having served two third of a long years sentence, on the condition he showed good behaviour during detention. Apart from that humane considerations have a role too. The man apparently had some chronic disease.

Showing mercy is an important characteristic for civilized countries.

In many CIVILIZED countries he would already been let out years ago.

If that's true? then good luck to the uncivilised Country!

In most civilized countries it is normal to free a prisoner after having served two third of a long years sentence, on the condition he showed good behaviour during detention. Apart from that humane considerations have a role too. The man apparently had some chronic disease.

So is showing common sense,and his illness would now be because of his chronic disease,(and would have happened,with or without a prison sentence) so what's that got to do with it? let's reserve mercy for the victim eh!

Edited by MAJIC

My heart really bleeds for the poor convicted double murderer. He should never see the light of day again ! This is a travesty of justice, sadly typical of this Banana Republic....

How about the guy in Norway what did he get for all those murders 20 years. Is Norway not a civilized country? Are you saying they are a banana republic.

This is aimed at all the people who think Thailand is a banana republic or uncivilized country.

If it is so well known who has that diamond, wouldn't the Saudis have fingered that person for a hit?

I admit to total ignorance, except that I know the Saudis haven't forgotten or forgiven. I wouldn't want to be on their sheet list.

I thought you were the one that said every one knew. I am sure that if even 100 knew the Saudi's would have it in their possession now.wai2.gif

No, I never said everyone knew and I don't know. But I tend to agree with your assessment.

Time has a good introductory story explaining the Blue Diamond Affair. Essential reading and required knowledge for all long term visitors to Thailand IMO.

To add insult to injury, the local press reported rumors of photos of the wives of bureaucrats wearing new diamond necklaces at a charity gala, ones that were awfully similar to the ones taken from the Saudi royalty. Needless to say, Saudi Arabia was not amused. In June 1990, the country would stop renewing the visas of more than a quarter-million Thai workers in Saudi Arabia and would give out no further ones, cutting Thailand off from billions of dollars in remittances. Saudi Arabia also barred its citizens from traveling to Thailand as tourists. Nabil Ashri, the current Saudi chargé d'affaires, said the decision to downgrade relations was "obviously for safety reasons and due to repeated failures of the Thai authorities to adequately solve or explain any of the cases to Saudi authorities."

Read more: http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1969920,00.html#ixzz2iyRQ9MJh

• Like 1

<snipped>

The prison commander decided to release him? Am I reading that wrong? Is that who decides these things?

I was wondering the same thing. It's a little similar to the Godfather of Chonburi, Khamnan Poh (spelling?). He was sent to prison there and then promptly sent to the hospital.

The process is explained in the other newspaper's article on the topic.

It is not just up to the prison commander.

In 2009 Mr Abhisit promised to reinvestigate the murders. The result was the indictment in January of General Somkid and four other police officers. All have denied the charges. Mr Ashri praised the “serious efforts” by the Thai government to improve relations. Then came this year's annual promotion list of state officials. Lo and behold, General Somkid was named to the rank of assistant police chief, a fact that did not escape Mr Ashri's attention. Thailand's obfuscating excuses have not mollified him.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/banyan/2010/09/thai-saudi_murder_mystery

• Like 1

In 2009 Mr Abhisit promised to reinvestigate the murders. The result was the indictment in January of General Somkid and four other police officers. All have denied the charges. Mr Ashri praised the serious efforts by the Thai government to improve relations. Then came this year's annual promotion list of state officials. Lo and behold, General Somkid was named to the rank of assistant police chief, a fact that did not escape Mr Ashri's attention. Thailand's obfuscating excuses have not mollified him.

Somkid was not promoted and Somkid was indicted.

In many CIVILIZED countries he would already been let out years ago.

If that's true? then good luck to the uncivilised Country!

According to some philosophers (forgot names) the quality of a modern society can be measured by the way it deals with it's old and sick and with it's prisoners. Perhaps you prefer f.i. the Iranian way?

In 2009 Mr Abhisit promised to reinvestigate the murders. The result was the indictment in January of General Somkid and four other police officers. All have denied the charges. Mr Ashri praised the serious efforts by the Thai government to improve relations. Then came this year's annual promotion list of state officials. Lo and behold, General Somkid was named to the rank of assistant police chief, a fact that did not escape Mr Ashri's attention. Thailand's obfuscating excuses have not mollified him. 

He refused the promotion.

Abhisit also made comments about the Saudis not understanding the Thai way that caused offence and further aggrovation while defending the promotion.

The incident was another clear example of Abhisit's poor leadership.

Now the statute of limitations has expired, Abhisit's promises have been rendered meaningless.

With the early release of this child-killer, the Saudis must be thinking there will be no justice for these crimes.

Shows what a state this country is in when the Police and officials are complicit in such criminality.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Bang Kwang central prison commander Wasant Singkhaselit said yesterday that he had approved the suspension of punishment for Chalor. "

The prison commander decided to release him? Am I reading that wrong? Is that who decides these things?

Where does it say he decided it.?He's probably is one of a handful of people to approve it.

Now the statute of limitations has expired

Without attempting to politicize the issue to any of the multiple administrations that have been in place since the heist and providing factual information that occurred since the quoted blog entry was made.

As said, the man was not promoted and the man was indicted prior to the statute of limitations expiring.

This story is full of intrigue, and not an easy one to dismiss as guilty or not guilty. Very powerful players involved with the Saudi jewels. Fascinating story.

Chalor has an American wife who herself has a very interesting history, as I recall she was born in Thailand in the 1940s, and Chalor was father to her farang daughter, an interesting lady who I knew years ago but I am not sure she is still in Thailand.

I wish him well.

Now the statute of limitations has expired

Without attempting to politicize the issue to any of the multiple administrations that have been in place since the heist and providing factual information that occurred since the quoted blog entry was made.

As said, the man was not promoted and the man was indicted prior to the statute of limitations expiring.

As said the man received promotion under Abhisit's leadership and declined, despite being under indictment.

One wonders how someone can be promoted to assistant police chief while under indictment for such crimes.

The curse of the blue diamond has struck Thailand once again.

The tortuous two-decade saga of theft, deception, incompetence, corruption and murder burst back into the spotlight this month, doing renewed damage to Thailand’s economy, its relations with Middle Eastern countries, and prospects for reconciliation in its troubled mainly-Muslim southern provinces.

It is a story that reveals a great deal about the unbridled corruption of the Royal Thai Police, the weakness of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva in the face of powerful entrenched vested interests, and the ham-fisted approach of many Thai officials when trying to defuse a crisis.

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2010/09/26/andrew-marshall-on-the-curse-of-the-blue-diamond/