Pattaya faces crime crackdown

Lite Beer

Crime "Crack Downs" announcements. Who is not for less crime?

After my motorbike was stolen in East Pattaya last month, I have not been satisfied here and I have made my decision to vote with my feet smile.png

Actually I have been pondering a change of location, even before my bike was stolen. Pattaya has become congested, plagued with traffic jams and yes, more crime. Just crossing the street has become an ordeal at times.

Interesting how Pattaya has changed; my first visit was 2001 and I do not recall seeing any Russian tourists. Now, according to the artice, Russians make up the largest group of visitors or maybe it was crime victims.

Crime crack down sounds great but I'm not convinced of any substantive, positive change. Too much money to be made and hardly any down side risk for the criminals.

Chok Dee Krab!

My first visit was 1985 and I have been living here since 1987. Pattaya to Jomtien was a 2 lane road with nothing on it until you got to Jomtien.

Crime "Crack Downs" announcements. Who is not for less crime?

After my motorbike was stolen in East Pattaya last month, I have not been satisfied here and I have made my decision to vote with my feet smile.png

Actually I have been pondering a change of location, even before my bike was stolen. Pattaya has become congested, plagued with traffic jams and yes, more crime. Just crossing the street has become an ordeal at times.

Interesting how Pattaya has changed; my first visit was 2001 and I do not recall seeing any Russian tourists. Now, according to the artice, Russians make up the largest group of visitors or maybe it was crime victims.

Crime crack down sounds great but I'm not convinced of any substantive, positive change. Too much money to be made and hardly any down side risk for the criminals.

Chok Dee Krab!

My first visit was 1985 and I have been living here since 1987. Pattaya to Jomtien was a 2 lane road with nothing on it until you got to Jomtien.

And your point is?

• Like 1

Is Police Harrasment for " Tea Money " a crime ??? whistling.gif

Obviously not, but you better have your helmet on when on a motorbike. One bust a month is all the police can afford, as they already know who the culprits are. They just pay money not to get caught. I often wonder if crime would go down if there were no police?

Anyone been watching that "checkpoint" on 2nd Rd in Pattaya before you get to the Central Festival Mall? I've seen one or two thais pulled over there, but 90%+ are farangs (WITH helmets on). 'Have been noticing more random stops of motorbikes entering 2nd Rd earlier on from the sois coming up from Beach Rd - in this case ALWAYS farangs. Saw one older guy,wearing his helmet, driving cautiously as he approached 2nd Rd, did NOT stick his nose out into traffic but stopped well short, middle of the day, 'looked like a model driver compared to most coming out of those sois - but got stopped. 'Sure has the appearance of a police "initiative" aimed at farangs.

Is Police Harrasment for " Tea Money " a crime ??? whistling.gif

Obviously not, but you better have your helmet on when on a motorbike. One bust a month is all the police can afford, as they already know who the culprits are. They just pay money not to get caught. I often wonder if crime would go down if there were no police?

Anyone been watching that "checkpoint" on 2nd Rd in Pattaya before you get to the Central Festival Mall? I've seen one or two thais pulled over there, but 90%+ are farangs (WITH helmets on). 'Have been noticing more random stops of motorbikes entering 2nd Rd earlier on from the sois coming up from Beach Rd - in this case ALWAYS farangs. Saw one older guy,wearing his helmet, driving cautiously as he approached 2nd Rd, did NOT stick his nose out into traffic but stopped well short, middle of the day, 'looked like a model driver compared to most coming out of those sois - but got stopped. 'Sure has the appearance of a police "initiative" aimed at farangs.

I first went to Pattaya in 1986 for a week and had a great time.

Returned in 2007 and left the day after I got there. Haven't been back since and have no plans ever to go back.

Vote with your feet, not with you crotch. There are better places in Thailand.

Edited by connda

Pattaya attracts 9 million tourists per year? That means 750,000 per month or 25,000 per day on average. Given 60 buses per day arrive at the Pattaya Nua terminus each carrying 60 passengers (all tourists? Not likely) gives 3600 bodies. Where do all the others materialise from?

I assume that the figure of 9 mil was supplied by TAT i.e. totally unreliable if not from the world of phantasy.

• Like 1

TheThai police need to get out there and do their jobs.

Unfortunately they are seen as part of the problem and not the solution.

There are some decent police just not enough.The Police higher ranks allow the problem to exist if not actually organising it.

Just taking on more police will get just more of the same.

Something has to change before real improvements are made not playing around with the figures.

I'm Sorry ................'Crackdown ?????????????

Are you sure you don't mean " Crack up" ? as in a B----y Joke?????

Sorry , but as an LE Trainer & Agent this is truly a Crack Up

Where's the' Pointing ' to enforce it ???

Same ol' , Same ol'

I think the Record is stuck in the same ol' track !!!!

coffee1.gif

The reason why this article is so hysterically funny, is that a crime crackdown in Thailand means more arrests, more cases going to court, and then the impotent judges releasing the defendants with a suspended sentence, and a 1000 baht fine. That is what is means to get arrested here. Nobody is afraid of arrest, since it means nothing. They know they will face a tiny judge, with no spine, no courage, no sense of outrage, and seemingly no ability to uphold the law, nor carry out justice. This place has to have the wimpiest legal system on the planet. Not much in the way of a deterrent, eh?

• 4 weeks later...