Iceland food stores UK. Bangkok & Central food hall Phuket

N47HAN

So was watching a documentary about the frozen food chain in the UK called Iceland yesterday on bbc 2.

Now it appears quite alot of there frozen food stuff is sourced and manufactured in Bangkok and then shipped to the UK.

Nothing particulary unusual about that ( although was quite interesting to know )

Most of the "ready made" items sourced from Bkk that I could see were sold in the UK for a pound ( 50thb give or take )

But heres my point ,

The food hall in Central Phuket I noticed also sell frozen meals in Iceland boxes packaged in English for sale at one pound , however they are 200thb plus!!

Im guessing yet again we are being decieved into thinking they are imported from the UK hence the cost. NOT BKK.

Another part of the programme refered to Waitrose , a more high end product supposdly from the UK, but again made in BKK and highly over priced in Central compared to what it costs in the UK.

Haven't actually personally brought anything from either,

Just found it interesting that it costs 4 times as much in Phuket as opposed the UK after being shipped from Bangkok.

You miss the point completley.

They are the appointed manufacturers of food for Iceland UK, and it is distributed in Phuket to give the obvious impression its imported from the UK hence the cost.

I reckon ill fire off an email to Iceland just to ask why they cant get there kebab pizza down here to Phuket from BKK. :)

• Like 1

You miss the point completley.

They are the appointed manufacturers of food for Iceland UK, and it is distributed in Phuket to give the obvious impression its imported from the UK hence the cost.

I reckon ill fire off an email to Iceland just to ask why they cant get there kebab pizza down here to Phuket from BKK. smile.png

Another possibility is of course that Iceland isn't even aware that their products are sold in Phuket.

• Like 1

Depends I guess .

The purchasers are also under pressure to deliver products at the right costs.

God forbid they would turn a blind eye for a backhander :)

Im gonna fire off an email and ask.

Mums gone to Iceland for now , but will post back :)

What was the programme's name and at what tie was it broadcast? If it was within the last 30 hours I can still watch it on my TV set.

Maestro... If you have torrentday, you can d/l the programme from there. Search for 'Iceland Foods' and you get 3 links.

Also available as a torrent on other sites for those wanting to see it.

Edited by crumpled
  • Like 1