Mourning wear

radfem

I was informed by the Head of English that I should be wearing colors of mourning for the next month. Of course, today, I chose my bright pink skirt and sweater for the occasion. should I have been aware of this?

I'd suggest that somewhat more sober-coloured clothes might be more appropriate during the mourning period. Or, I noticed this morning, that the Tesco Lotus staff are wearing a small, discreet black ribbon bow on their sleeve. That should show your sympathy quite well, without plunging yourself into an all-black outfit.

I'm struggling a bit with this. The OP who is an English teacher thought that wearing bright pink was suitable for mourning, but on arrival found out her attire was the brightest colour around and she feels disrespectful. Should she have known?. Well she could have asked the Head of English when she was informed about the requirement or she could have a tad of intelligence and realised that perhaps bright pink might not be the colour of mourning. And then join the forum to flaunt this stupidity. Hmm.

• Like 2

No, I did not think that pink was an appropriate color for mourning. Having just returned to school from break, I was unaware of any 30 day mourning and that it impacted how one would dress for school. I was simply wondering if this was something I should have picked up on without it having to be told to me. Thank you very much for your productive response.

• Like 1

No, I did not think that pink was an appropriate color for mourning. Having just returned to school from break, I was unaware of any 30 day mourning and that it impacted how one would dress for school. I was simply wondering if this was something I should have picked up on without it having to be told to me. Thank you very much for your productive response.

Don't think so, presuming your neither Thai, nor Buddhist. Don't worry about it.

Don't think so, presuming your neither Thai, nor Buddhist. Don't worry about it.

I have heard nothing about special clothing. Trust me if there was my wife would see to it that I was wearing it.

Black is the usual colour worn at Thai funerals or as a mark of respect for a deceased.

Although there are some who may vary the colours, wearing bright pink in respect to the dead would definitely classify someone as the ignoramus of the decade, even in Thailand.

I was teaching when the last Princess died. I was asked by the school to wear black trousers with either a white or black shirt. Had to go buy a couple as I hate black in a hot country!

Actually, on this point I have to disagree.

He's employed as a Teacher, thus employed by a Thai school.

Accordingly he should respect the wishes of the school ... irrelevant of his personal religious beliefs.

Once he's home, he can run around naked ... but while representing the Thai Education system, he should show proper respect.

I was teaching when the last Princess died. I was asked by the school to wear black trousers with either a white or black shirt. Had to go buy a couple as I hate black in a hot country!

I have to agree.

The mix of black and white is perfectly acceptable.

post-104736-0-43810700-1383173778.jpg

Most likely why you seldom see Thais in the white shirt is that it emphases their dark skin.