True love possible?

timtscott

I'm divorced 52 American man with no kids and plan to retire to CM in a couple of years. I have visited Thailand 10 or 12 times. I have heard a lot of horror stories of relationships gone bad between farangs and Thai ladies. I realize that can happen anywhere, between any races, but also know there are folks who do not have the best of intentions.

I am cautious in relationships and do not plan to be taken for a ride. But I do want to date, develop a meaningful relationship that may eventually lead to marriage. I understand the family issues one may face. I was married here in the US to a lovely Cambodian woman and although we did help her family financially from time to time, when we got an unreasonable request, we simply said no. At times her family would be disappointed, but they would eventually get over it and I still retained good relationships with them throughout the marriage and even after the divorce.

My question is it just as common to meet a nice Thai lady who simply wants a good relationship/marriage?

I have been seeing a nice Peruvian woman who I think would follow me to Thailand if I proposed. It's a bit early in the relationship to take that step. Even if it got to that point, I am not sure how moving to Thailand would complicate things. My plans for moving to Thailand are firm so she would have to agree to join me. But given that may or may not pan out, I was wondering the prospect of finding a serious non exploitation relationship in the land of smiles?

I hope no one is offended by this post. I don't mean to prejudge any group of people and I know exploitation works both ways.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by timtscott

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim, judging from your OP you are either planning too far ahead or you want marriage more than you do a relationship. Nothing wrong with keeping the options open, but what happens to your current relationship with the Peruvian lady if she is not up to marriage?

Just my thoughts, not meant to offend...............wink.png

Thanks for the replies. I know anything is possible I guess I was just hoping to hear about some success stories... one reads of so many bad experiences. Anyway thanks again for your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Like everyone has said ....Yeah its possible....As happened to many who already responded I also found "my special one" been together the best 7 years of my life....looking forward to the next 20

BUT just one question....Your with a Peruvian woman now....and presumably thinking of asking her to marry you?....Why would you ask about meeting a Thai women and having a relationship? And ....have you been to Peru (I never have ....so have no insights)....Is it a place you might like to live?

Wish you the best "whatever" you do though!

PS ....just so you know

Indices Difference information.png Consumer Prices in Peru are 4.07% higher than in Thailand Consumer Prices Including Rent in Peru are 2.87% lower than in Thailand Rent Prices in Peru are 21.32% lower than in Thailand Restaurant Prices in Peru are 44.25% higher than in Thailand Groceries Prices in Peru are 19.90% lower than in Thailand Local Purchasing Power in Peru is 11.13% higher than in Thailan

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=Peru

Edited by beachproperty

Of course it's possible with the right woman who wants similar and is at a similar place in her life.

A bargirl, internet hunter half your age who is looking for someone to pay for her and her layabout family to sit on their lazy backsides for the rest of their lives isn't the right person.

Yes it is very possible.

I know many farangs in Thailand who have a succesful marriage/relationship. They have a home together, a child together.

For me my lady is 5 years older than me, never thought I would have an older woman but I do so deal with it. We have been together 5 or 6 years now and from day 1 I made it clear I am not a rich man. She does not think money is the most important thing, she wants love and stability. We do not leave life beyond our means and we are happy.

I have always told my friends who go to Thailand for the 1st time never flash your cash as someone will latch on to you.

I have spoken to my missus about your post and she hopes you find the true love you are looking for, so do I buddy. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the replies. I know anything is possible I guess I was just hoping to hear about some success stories... one reads of so many bad experiences. Anyway thanks again for your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It is very nice to see so many good comments and advise, instead of pessimistic ones. Take the time to learn about Thai culture and traditions, the good and bad, and one day you will recognize a good soul and good atributes in a woman. I was very close to giving up, because bad experiences and because I am very picky. Finally, after 3 years of dating many women, I found real love and I never was so happy in all my life. Sincerely.

• Like 2

Told MY WIFE about your post and she said she has 4 friends who she wants to introduce you to...(not all at once !)

Never fails to amaze me that Thai women, when I meet them, ALWAYS ask me "Do you have any single farang friends for me"

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 2

True love possible?

yes of course it is for all the reasons many people have stated.

Personally I retired in Thailand at 50, 3 and a half years ago and am having a great life of adventure exploring and deveolping new interests and boundaries and of course new friends.

Thats where I put my efforts and eneries being in a new country. Its also a way to be happy here because u have time to develope yourself.

If 'TRUE' love comes then grab it with both hands and forget the burdon of a clingon now for all the wrong reasons.

Enjoy the stay :-)