new usa passport visa on arival

Got a VOA and am wanting to extend for 60 more days...I just came back from the immigration office with a friend girl who when we asked how long I could stay the teller told us only 7 more days. This sounded so stupid because the pre registered visas through the Thai embassy in the USA is for 90 days...why couldn't my visa just get extended w/ a possible fee? So I asked my friend girl to ask him about a double entry visa..they both didn't know what I was talking about. And said I had to get it through the Thai embassy in Laos.after waiting x amount of weeks there for it to process.

So I'm here in Thailand now, my 1 months about up. What do I need to do to stay for the next two months?

You have a visa exempt entry not a VOA. The 30 day extensions are only for tourist visas issued by a embassy or consulate that give a 60 day entry not 90.

You can fly out and back to get another 30 day entry or make a border run for a 15 day entry.

Or make a trip to to any nearby Thai embassy or consulate to get a tourist visa.

Vientiane Laos is a good location because you can get a 2 entry visa there that would give you almost 6 months by getting a 30 day extension of each entry.

You do not have a "visa" ! On arrival you were given a "visa exempt" entry of 30 days which cannot be extended beyond the seven days offered by the immigration officer.

IF you wish to stay longer you will need to obtain a tourist visa from a nearby country. Just apply one day --pick up the next

Edit

Often a good plan to secure needed visas prior to leaving homesmile.png

Edited by thaiexpat21

Or make a trip to to any nearby Thai embassy or consulate to get a tourist visa.

Vientiane Laos is a good location because you can get a 2 entry visa there that would give you almost 6 months by getting a 30 day extension of each entry.

OK this is going to be mad wild...I don't believe I'm doing this but I'll give it a shot. What exactly do I do here? I need the nitty gritty. So I can go to bangkok and get the actual visa On arival? Which will allow me to stay for how many months? or fly into Laos where in Laos? , send my visa to the Thai embassy in Laos, get the double entry visa, and fly back. You're saying that their double entry visa allows me to stay for 6 months? Is this a typo? Did you mean two months? Or two entries for 90 days per entry?

Each entry of a tourist visa gives a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days at immigration. That makes each each entry a total of 90 days then you leave and re-enter to get the 2nd entry.

If you are only planning on staying 60 additional days you could get a single entry tourist visa in KL or Penang Malaysia.

For the 2 entry visa in Vientiane the least costly way to get there is to fly to Udon Thani and the go to the bridge in Nong Khai and then crossover to Laos and on to the city.

Nok Air has fly/ride service to Vientiane.

See this topic for info on visa runs:

You could do back to back border runs but the cost and time spent would be equal to or less to go out for a tourist visa.

Take your friend to Vientiane with you she probably would enjoy the trip.

Also re-reading you post a visa on arrival is only for15 days and is only for those from certain countries.

You can do 4 back to back border runs to Cambodia by land from Bangkok. The cost of the service, all inclusive is between 2000 and 2500 baht per trip. Each trip will take one day..

You could fly out of Thailand and back in and get 30 day visa exempt entries when you re-enter. Airfare is expensive and the airport BS is time consuming.

You could go to either Savannakhet or Vientiane Laos and get a single entry tourist visa from the Thai Embassy/ Consulate. You have to submit your application in the morning of day 1 and pick up the visa in the afternoon of day 2. The cost of the visa is 1000 baht. The Lao visa is $35. The transportation depends on how you travel. But,it is only one border crossing and the visa can be extended in Thailand for another 30 days at immigration for 1900 baht

You could do nothing and overstay your permission to stay. If you are caught for any reason you could be thrown in "immigration jail" and be fined and deported. If you are not caught you would have to pay an overstay fee at the airport when you left, 500 baht/day or a maximum of 20000 baht.

Marriage to your friend is another option, but not recommended.

Your choice!

I would suggest you also read the posts about "Love Tourists" who end up going home with very skinny wallets and deflated egos after they find out that all they have taken at face value about the sincerity of "Thai Caring & Politeness" is not necessarily true. If you arrived without doing the home work on having a contingency plan for a longer stay (or quick exit) then I would assume you also did not do your home work on knowing how quickly and efficiently a tourist's finances can be depleted in Thailand.

Now, of course, the above may not apply to your situation and I hope you enjoy your stay and Thai Lady. But if it does turn out differently, remember it is not the Lady's fault (because she will just be doing what it sometimes takes to survive in this world). It will be your fault because you didn't do your home work and arrive prepared for eventualities.

Chok dee...need more....coffee1.gif

• Like 1

You can do 4 back to back border runs to Cambodia by land from Bangkok. The cost of the service, all inclusive is between 2000 and 2500 baht per trip. Each trip will take one day..

You could fly out of Thailand and back in and get 30 day visa exempt entries when you re-enter. Airfare is expensive and the airport BS is time consuming.

You could go to either Savannakhet or Vientiane Laos and get a single entry tourist visa from the Thai Embassy/ Consulate. You have to submit your application in the morning of day 1 and pick up the visa in the afternoon of day 2. The cost of the visa is 1000 baht. The Lao visa is $35. The transportation depends on how you travel. But,it is only one border crossing and the visa can be extended in Thailand for another 30 days at immigration for 1900 baht

You could do nothing and overstay your permission to stay. If you are caught for any reason you could be thrown in "immigration jail" and be fined and deported. If you are not caught you would have to pay an overstay fee at the airport when you left, 500 baht/day or a maximum of 20000 baht.

Your choice!

I would suggest you also read the posts about "Love Tourists" who end up going home with very skinny wallets and deflated egos after they find out that all they have taken at face value about the sincerity of "Thai Caring & Politeness" is not necessarily true. If you arrived without doing the home work on having a contingency plan for a longer stay (or quick exit) then I would assume you also did not do your home work on knowing how quickly and efficiently a tourist's finances can be depleted in Thailand.

Now, of course, the above may not apply to your situation and I hope you enjoy your stay and Thai Lady. But if it does turn out differently, remember it is not the Lady's fault (because she will just be doing what it sometimes takes to survive in this world). It will be your fault because you didn't do your home work and arrive prepared for eventualities.

I was a member so to speak of the Love Tourists,but I suffered from the deflated ego , I firmly believe in( only spend what you can afford to walk away from) .rule of thumb

• Like 1

Your choice!

I was a member so to speak of the Love Tourists,but I suffered from the deflated ego , I firmly believe in( only spend what you can afford to walk away from) .rule of thumb

Thnx for the thumbs up.... I guess I'm still one - my 1st trip in 2010 there was a gorgeous young lady desk clerk at hotel who was just "Oh So Nice" to me. Once she learned I was not going to buy into any of her tips for services - group tours, nite life, whatever - she quickly became very distant - no commission - no nice - several instances of this sort clued me into how the game was played. What I find ironic is that they could make just as much (if not more) off a Farang (or me) by being forthright but have been taught to see tourists as their Welfare System (not to mention the Xenophobia built into the culture) and think Farangs should distribute benefits without question (much take, little give). Now, my thoughts about the dogs, young or old, who loose their minds just because they get a sniff.... is another story.... so we'll leave that alone and move on. coffee1.gif

So I just tried to visa run to Cambodia... it's 4am Oct 31st...and the man I went on the run worth came with me from my hotel. I had to come back as it was going to cost over 3000 for merely the stamp alone. And I had just 3000 in my pocket. So I was reading that it would cost 2000-2500 for the stamp, and the locals were telling me that it was even cheaper. So I couldn't go today, and will give one long ass dissertation to immigration as to <deleted> is going on first thing tomorrow. The other hotel Tennant showed me his stamp...some full page Cambodian sticker on his passport...does anyone know what that is?

So I just tried to visa run to Cambodia... it's 4am Oct 31st...and the man I went on the run worth came with me from my hotel. I had to come back as it was going to cost over 3000 for merely the stamp alone. And I had just 3000 in my pocket. So I was reading that it would cost 2000-2500 for the stamp, and the locals were telling me that it was even cheaper. So I couldn't go today, and will give one long ass dissertation to immigration as to <deleted> is going on first thing tomorrow. The other hotel Tennant showed me his stamp...some full page Cambodian sticker on his passport...does anyone know what that is?

Yes, the sticker is a visa to enter Cambodia, you have to exit Thailand, to be able to re-enter. I think imiigration has a clue about what's going on, apparently you don't.

• Like 1

No. I don't have a clue when it comes to somewhat discombobulated sources. Which is why I'm venting even the most ignorant questions on this forum. I don't mind getting schooled when its getting schooled in the right manner. So anyways it was a slight budgeting mishap and language/personality barrier b/c the guy kept emphasize ing that it was their "big visa" which alluded to a difference in big and small visas so I posted an ignorant question.

All I have to do is pull funds from my bank, and go make the run another time. I'm only staying in Thailand until Jan, where I will just border run every two weeks and remediate the used passport pages when I return to the states. A flight to Laos isn't economically fesable for my 3month projected Thai stay, however, knowing how these processes work, and running a small border run while I'm here for such a short stay, and the reciprication with this forums knowlageable user base, will garner the exp. Nessesary for next years vacation when I plan to stay longer.

No. I don't have a clue when it comes to somewhat discombobulated sources. Which is why I'm venting even the most ignorant questions on this forum. I don't mind getting schooled when its getting schooled in the right manner. So anyways it was a slight budgeting mishap and language/personality barrier b/c the guy kept emphasize ing that it was their "big visa" which alluded to a difference in big and small visas so I posted an ignorant question.

All I have to do is pull funds from my bank, and go make the run another time. I'm only staying in Thailand until Jan, where I will just border run every two weeks and remediate the used passport pages when I return to the states. A flight to Laos isn't economically fesable for my 3month projected Thai stay, however, knowing how these processes work, and running a small border run while I'm here for such a short stay, and the reciprication with this forums knowlageable user base, will garner the exp. Nessesary for next years vacation when I plan to stay longer.

flights in thailand are surprisinly cheap. so is the train.

Every time that you do a border run you have to enter Cambodia and you will get have to get a full page Cambodian visa stamp in your passport unless you get an e-visa which can be applied for here: http://www.evisa-cambodia.net/application_m.php?gclid=COjaw-nPv7oCFQEepQodYWgA1g

I really think that you should evaluate the time and costs of getting a Tourist visa at Savannakhet, Laos rather than doing all those costly and time consuming visa runs and you could spend a pleasant night in a different country.

• Like 1

A flight to Laos isn't economically fesable for my 3month projected Thai stay, however, knowing how these processes work, and running a small border run while I'm here for such a short stay, and the reciprication with this forums knowlageable user base, will garner the exp. Nessesary for next years vacation when I plan to stay longer.

Do be aware that doing lots (3 months is lots) of back-to-back border hops may well net you an interrogation at the border. They may suspect you are working illegally in Thailand. You are unlikely to be denied entry, but they may well tell you not to do it again and your passport may be marked accordingly.

A simple run to one of the embassies in nearby countries (go by bus if the budget won't stretch to flying) will get you a single entry tourist visa, good for 60 days on entry and extendible by 30 days at your local immigration office (1900 Baht).

Of course, it's entirely up to you and your budget.

• Like 1