Do you still use toilet paper?

Since this is a subject.

I use paper.

Question to you who use the spray:

How do you dry your butt and hole after the spray? Selfdrying in the undies??

If I were to use toilet paper all it would do is tear into very small, fine pieces and then I'd have to use the sprayer again to get it off.  Yes, I know...better quality toilet paper.  The little water left over takes almost no time to dry on the underwear.  I feel a hell of a lot cleaner than I did in the US using paper.  I'd love to bring one of those sprayers home if I ever went back.  All you need to do to control the pressure is give it it's own cut-off valve and use the valve to control the pressure.

I have installed Thai bum guns in my home in California. After seven years in Thailand I found I couldn't do without it. And adding a cut-off valve to control the pressure works well too. On my many subsequent journeys to LOS I have brought back about 20 bum guns for friends in the US.  What's most important is to buy the very best brushed chrome--no plastic parts and small nozzle bum guns because the heads sometimes blow off the cheaper ones and we don't have drains in the floor to take away the flood in an accident. I do worry about that sometimes but I'm not giving up the bum gun and so far have been lucky. The best manufacturer I have found is VRH. Not the least expensive but worth the cost.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since this is a subject.

I use paper.

Question to you who use the spray:

How do you dry your butt and hole after the spray? Selfdrying in the undies??

If I were to use toilet paper all it would do is tear into very small, fine pieces and then I'd have to use the sprayer again to get it off.  Yes, I know...better quality toilet paper.  The little water left over takes almost no time to dry on the underwear.  I feel a hell of a lot cleaner than I did in the US using paper.  I'd love to bring one of those sprayers home if I ever went back.  All you need to do to control the pressure is give it it's own cut-off valve and use the valve to control the pressure.

I have installed Thai bum guns in my home in California. After seven years in Thailand I found I couldn't do without it. And adding a cut-off valve to control the pressure works well too. On my many subsequent journeys to LOS I have brought back about 20 bum guns for friends in the US.  What's most important is to buy the very best brushed chrome--no plastic parts and small nozzle bum guns because the heads sometimes blow off the cheaper ones and we don't have drains in the floor to take away the flood in an accident. I do worry about that sometimes but I'm not giving up the bum gun and so far have been lucky. The best manufacturer I have found is VRH. Not the least expensive but worth the cost.

This is what really really pisses me off about the supposed country that calls itself the best in the world? No drainage system on the bathroom floors? I used to stay in an apartment in the US and the bathroom had no drain so when i was mopping the bathroom floor i had to drain it inside the toilet. BS if you ask me.

In other countries with a drainage system in the bathroom. You spray some water and everything just drains off. In the US it stays there cos there isn't any drainage system. Talk about shoddy workmanship. Yes building a drainage system in a bathroom is really really tough work not to mention how many houses in the US don't even have fences around their property or it's some ugly looking picket fence.

• 8 months later...

This is what really really pisses me off about the supposed country that calls itself the best in the world? No drainage system on the bathroom floors? I used to stay in an apartment in the US and the bathroom had no drain so when i was mopping the bathroom floor i had to drain it inside the toilet. BS if you ask me.

In other countries with a drainage system in the bathroom. You spray some water and everything just drains off. In the US it stays there cos there isn't any drainage system. Talk about shoddy workmanship. Yes building a drainage system in a bathroom is really really tough work not to mention how many houses in the US don't even have fences around their property or it's some ugly looking picket fence.

a drainage system in one of our bathrooms would really piss me off. there's no reason to have one if the bathroom floor is cleaned regularly by wet wiping. of course, if the latter is done only once a year then... bah.gif

Again, not trying to be argumentative, but fecal matter can go anywhere, and I do mean anywhere, in a toilet bowl, especially if someone either has a minor bug, a little gas, or has simply eaten too many cherries. They don't have to be sick, just a bit on the loose or slightly explosive side, and suddenly things change from the equivalent of dropping a marble straight down to acting more like a lawn sprayer.  In another lifetime, I spent approximately 3 years as a hotel maid, and trust me, if it hasn't happened to your bidet yet, it will. It is not always something you spot immediately unless you're looking closely.

Since studies have shown that merely flushing the toilet can aerosolize the contents and distribute them around your bathroom (which is why it turns out it is not a good idea to leave your toothbrush laying on the counter), please someone persuade me that I'm not sharing other people's waste products by using a bidet. Seriously, anyone have answers?
Aman Kumar

• 2 weeks later...

a drainage system in one of our bathrooms would really piss me off. there's no reason to have one if the bathroom floor is cleaned regularly by wet wiping. of course, if the latter is done only once a year then... bah.gif

+1 on the useless floor drains.  After coming to Thailand and experiencing the lingering stench that can come from these drains, I keep wondering why Thais keep installing them in their bathrooms. blink.png   Must be legacy practice from when showers were not partitioned off and were just part of the bathroom as a whole.  I'm sure most people living in apartments here, even modern ones, experience this odour on occasion.  You know when someone upstairs has taken a really nasty dump.

You're supposed to fill these drains with water once in a while, but it's a bit of a PITA and doesn't work all the time.  Sealing them with packing tape works well though.

Well I finally did it -- I used the bum gun for the first time despite having lived here for many years.  Years ago I asked a Thai gf how to use one, but she looked at me in disgust thinking it was a sick joke.  When she realised I wasn't joking, she reluctantly showed me but I never considered it again after that.  Until now.  You guys are such a lovely bunch.  You have shown me the light.

Actually another thing that made me reconsider the bum gun was that it sounded like it would be much faster than using paper alone.  With paper I can get myself very clean, but sometimes it would literally take 5 or 10 minutes depending on the type of output.  Sticky stuff is the worst (and happens so often living here).  Several dry wipes, followed by a wet wipe and then a final dry wipe.  Repeat if necessary.  Indeed, the spray does speed things up nicely, although I still use paper to finish up.  So the spray is fast and effective, and I can still pass the surprise inspections by the boss wife. rolleyes.gif

Couple of questions.  1) Do you guys dare use bum guns in public toilets?  I imagine they are full of nasty bugs.  2) For those of you experienced with different nozzle types, which is more effective -- a tiny nozzle that squirts a single stream (like on those Korean automated toilet seats) or the spray type that we use here in Thailand?  I imagine the tiny nozzle type leave your butt cheeks much dryer.

Edited by puuchaibaa