Do you still use toilet paper?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOS Transitional country   - to the west in Bangladesh India Yemen [Myanamar practice escapes me at the moment] etc the left hand and a bowl of H2O  - to the east and French IndoChin TP seemed to be more the practice  - at least where I traveled.  I vote for the bum gun. Have one here in Mexico.

• Like 1

He he, aint a topic of normal everyday conversation, but you got me thinking and perhaps its time to give up the toilet paper completely and save a tree or two. I think now, whatever did I do before the bum gun? The satisfying  jet of delicious water leaving you cleaned cooled and refreshed-its what sets us apart from the other assholes.

...what sets us apart from the other assholes. clap2.gifcheesy.gif

Ever since I visited Thailand 40 years ago I used that spray gun at home and where ever possible. Otherwise I use water from a bottle.

Can also use the pump gun even if water pressure is very high. Just don't fully open the valve. Ice cold water is nice too.

Why not learn something from Thai people ?

??? Would you want to clean your dirty hands or your face with tissue paper only ???

• Like 2

If your skin is wed ,nothing will stick on it.
Thats why you wed your finger when applying silicone ,it will not stick on your finger.
So before using the bum-gun ,spray your (left)hand fingers and than clean the outlet valve.
The hotter the water the better it works .Thats why we use a steamer to take off old wallpaper.
In europe ,in wintertime ,the bum-gun tactic is only for polar bears and die hards,but it will
work.( but not as good.)
Best to dry with some toilet paper to check your work.
If low on money: re use this paper as napkins on your table,and nobuddy will ever stay for diner,witch will
save you a lot of money .
(no forget about donating....)

I took my two lads (10 & 8 yrs old) to England last year (their 1st time) and this year, first trips out of Asia, and they were clueless what to do when going to a toilet without a spray. Couldn’t believe I had to explain to them how to use toilet-paper, and after I had, it made me think how crude it is to use toilet-paper and how civilized it is (in Asia) to use a spray. The UK’s “peculiar” toilet-paper habit became quite a talking point with the wife and kids [they should have been there when we used to use the ripped-up Sunday Newspapers on a string or Izal (it’s still available folks) back in the day], but when we mentioned it with family members who live in the UK, they looked at us blank (probably not knowing any better).  

One night we were in a local pub for an anniversary party. I took my youngest to the toilet to do his business, and I had to ‘dampen’ folded sheets of toilet-paper in the wash-hand basin and pass them through the slightly opened cubicle door to my kid for his use, while being eyed very curiously by locals coming in to use the urinals.

The UK and other toilet-paper using countries really should change their habits. Toilet-paper = unclean / additional unnecessary cost of the toilet-paper / not environmental! And while I take the original poster’s point about the water pressure in UK/Europe compared to Thailand, just think of the minimal cost of adding a spray hose to the toilet cistern…a couple of quid only…therefore all UK contractors should include cistern plus spray when building UK houses, but I doubt we will see any change in the immediate future.   

Edited by Bredbury Blue
  • Like 2

Would love to have a bum gun at home, but in the Scottish Highlands you'd end up with immediate brain-freeze. Even in summer, the cold water is C-O-L-D. In winter, you'd be likely to spear yourself with an icicle... The only answer there seems to be a quick up-and-under in the shower.

To answer the question, I am trying not to use paper any more (in Thailand), but running round the room then standing bare-asseted in front of the fan tends to elicit peculiar looks from she-who-must-be-obeyed. 

attachicon.gifimagesCACO35MZ.jpg

Don't worry, I am sure one day the Scots will not only discover the recipe for ice, but will also have warm water, even in winter.

Once you go bum gun, you never go back!  I now look upon my former compatriots as little more than savages, akin to time traveling back to the 1800's to observe their hygiene.

But we still have a ways to go.  Those Japanese systems are amazing, can't wait until they become common here.

• Like 1

Are you complaining that paper does not wipe the peanut oil off your ass.

I have never used paper for years just use the spray and if it to strong control the lever on it do not pull it all the way. It like a bit of ass hole common sense.

I'm moving back to the States, and already thinking of how to install a bum gun there. I've been toilet paper free for years, and have no intention of going back to the barbasity of smeering with tissue.

Paper to dry, sometimes, as a luxury, but not a nessesity.  Shake it out.

Paper? How uncivilized.

• Like 1

I haven't used toilet paper for many years. Even on visits to countries with no bum gun. I clean myself with water underneath, after flushing, then flush again. Tiolet paper is so unhygenic. Same with using a handkerchief - not used one of them for many years.

I think this is the first TV article I have ever read that, not only does not knock the Thais and their way of life, but actually most admit it is a lot cleaner and more civilized to use a bum gun.

I stopped using toilet paper years ago and it is one aspect of going back to UK that i find primitive.

You never had a bidet back home then w00t.gif .....................rolleyes.gif ...........laugh.png

I think this is the first TV article I have ever read that, not only does not knock the Thais and their way of life, but actually most admit it is a lot cleaner and more civilized to use a bum gun.

I stopped using toilet paper years ago and it is one aspect of going back to UK that i find primitive.

True that! This way we also don't have to worry about anal bleaching! Not that I worry... I actually never worry.

Very, very crude. Bet you are British!

Paddy's miissus and friend were in a bathroom shop that just opened in Dublin when she spots a  brush, says to her friend what is, friend tells her its a toilet brush all the rage in a modern home, so Paddy's missus buys one, the next week they meet to go shopping and friend asks, did Paddy like the toilet brush, she replies oh Mother of Mary and all the saints he only used it once and he said it made his arse so terrible sore he has gone back to using paper

and I thought it is a modern thoot brush, so you can clean all your theet at once....I always wondered where my bad breath comes from...

Seriously?!

Thais' still use Toilet Paper (กระดาษชำระ) they just don't use it the way Farang usually do!

Thais' use the "Bum Gun" to clean their nether regions, then use Paper to dry "the area" and discard the used paper in the Bin situated next to the toilet; usually this paper is quite clean, though certainly not anywhere near hygienic .............. and certainly anyone who used my cotton or linen towels to dry that area would never be invited back to my home!

Patrick

P.S. Just to explain a little - one of the main reasons Thais' do not discard paper in the toilet is because the standard 4" piping is, in Thailand, for cost saving purposes, chamfered down to a 2" pipe which is more easily blocked by paper etc. etc..

Patrick

Edit : for Font Size

You know how some people leave the face washers in the bathrooms...well, they are just the right size to dry off.

Talking about cleanness I suggest you keep in mind, that many thai ppl use not only the bum gun, but also their left hand for cleaning! And thinking about toilets in the shopping malls reminds me, that many thai ppl leave the toilet without washing their hands. sick.gif.pagespeed.ce.tVTSNn-2vr.png

• Like 1

(I remember my old folks bringing one back to Europe and I tried it last summer. The difference is that in Europe the water pressure is about 2 bar so I found myself coughing up my an-us.)

You know you can adjust the pressure with the faucet you should have instaled to hook up your bum gun.  You don't have to have the faucet on full blast.

Great advocate of the wash and wipe.  But as others have said, when the ubiquitous "bum gun" is not available I do miss the feeling of feeling really clean.  Has anyone encountered one of the loos where you have a bowl floating in a bucket of water?  Tried doing a head stand and throwing the water at my butt, but only had limited success for some reason - still saved having a shower later onw00t.gif