El Mariachi Taqueria - New Mexican Restaurant

thenoilif

Mexican food seems to be the fastest growing international cuisine in BKK. As more and more Thais travel abroad to study they are being introduced to this amazing cuisine.

For years La Monitas has been the go to place for truly authentic Mexican or at least Cali-Mexican cuisine but there is a new kid on the block, El Mariachi Taqueria.

I stopped by this place the other night after hearing a few whispers about a new Mexican restaurant in town. I also got an evite to a Day of the Dead party from the same place so I thought it was about time to check it out.

I googled the address and off to Bang-na or more specifically Udom Suk I went.

The trip started out rather discering as I couldn't find a taxi driver that actually knew where Srinakarin Road Soi 61 was and it wasn't due to a lack of understanding. Three refused me until I finally simplified the directions to Udom Suk Srinakarin and ommitted the soi number.

I don't go to this part of town much but I never can say no to a new mexican food experience. Once we got to the area the driver couldn't find soi 61 so he just let me out at 63 instead. Thinking that 61 was close by I just hoofed it up the street. As I walked I stopped and asked three seperate gentlemen if I was heading in the right direction and all three had no idea where soi 61 was. As I continued to walk down Srinakarin I approached some road construction that was going to require to enter a small office/shopping plaza/shop houses. As I entered the parking lot I just happened to glance over at the shops, all were dark except one. As I peered inside I saw several red and yellow decorations and red wood tables and benches that resembled a photo I had seen of the place online, it was El Mariachi Taqueria! I have often been baffled by addresses in this but this one was easily the most confusing, no idea where the Soi 61 comes from.

The restaurant itself is very small, about 1/2 the size of La Monitas and the camparisons don't stop there. The decor is also almost identical to the Ploen Chit mainstay from the draped yellow and red paper cutouts to the red painted wood picnic tables and bench chairs.

The menu offers most of the standard mexican fare like true Mexican style tacos (open face, choices of meat, onions, cilantro) or you can upgrade to the 'special' tacos where they add a nice guac/sour cream topping. My partner and I tried the chicken, shirmp, fish, and pork tacos and all were very good besides the fish. The fish had very little actual fish and what was given was too thin and well done but everything was seasoned very well. We also had quacamole and chips as a starter and I have to give them a lot of props on the guac, it was one of the all around tastiest I have had in Bkk.

The rest of the menu included burritos, enchiladas, fajitas, chimichangas, and a few of the standard breakfast meals like Juevos Rancheros.

All in all it was a great experience, the food was comparable to La Monitas which are both some of the best true Mexican I have ever tasted. The staff was nice enough and the best part are their prices. They are comparable in price to Sunrise Tacos but with a more premium and well made product. Their food is on par with La Monitas but cheaper with the only down side being the location. It is somewhat accessible from the Udom Suk BTS and I estimate that it would take 10-15 minutes to get their on foot from the BTS station.

Definitely worth a stop if you're in the area.

• Like 1

I can assure you that it would take you more than 15 minutes by foot from Udomsuk BTS. You would be lucky to get there in 15 minutes by car. To get there, simply tell the taxi Paradise Park. The restaurant is located in a row of shophouses about a block south of there (towards Bangna).

I agree that the food is quite good. I had their fajitas, two pork tacos, and one beef taco. The prices were reasonable. The margaritas were substandard. I will be going back on Friday when they are planning to offer an all you can eat buffet offering new menu items. They will be added based on customer feedback.

I can assure you that it would take you more than 15 minutes by foot from Udomsuk BTS. You would be lucky to get there in 15 minutes by car. To get there, simply tell the taxi Paradise Park. The restaurant is located in a row of shophouses about a block south of there (towards Bangna).

I agree that the food is quite good. I had their fajitas, two pork tacos, and one beef taco. The prices were reasonable. The margaritas were substandard. I will be going back on Friday when they are planning to offer an all you can eat buffet offering new menu items. They will be added based on customer feedback.

Only if the location was different. Too out of the way for me to go and be disappointed again with a poor copy of Mexican food. I've tried all the others and usually never go back.

https://www.facebook.com/elmariachitaqueria/page_map

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g293916-d4699076-r178103052-El_Mariachi_Taqueria_Mexican_Restaurant-Bangkok.html

Looks like it's in the old Dr. Steak hut?

Have driven by it every day and never noticed it, will try it this week.

Agree that walking from Udom Suk BTS station is NOT an option; it might be 8 ~ 10 Km. rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the heads up.

post-9615-0-52412000-1383009341_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-31726200-1383009369_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

I tried this place 2 weeks ago.

Yes, a little difficult to find, we found the street but drove right past it, guess I didn't look up far enough to see the big banner.
Saturday at 1 pm, and we were the only ones there. Had the wet burrito w/steak. It was very good however it wasn't very hot. The gf had the shrimp faijatas and they were quite tasty. We also ordered the guacomole and it was very good. They bring out 3 or 4 sauces, and each was unique and fairly spicy. The only complaint I have is that I thought the tortilla chips were either fried too long or maybe a bit too thick as they seemed a bit to hard, if that makes any sense. Overall I thought it was better than Sunrise Tacos.... Location might be a bit far for those not living on the east side of town.

I love mexican food as well but, my opinion is that most restaurants kan not make it just the way I like. Thats why im cooking all my mexican dishes myself. the costs for all the fresh imported products are probebly higher than the restaurant but its worth it.

• Like 1

If you guys are looking for Authentic Mexican,, go to Hua Hin for the weekend and try "Margaritas". As far as I know, La Monita is the best Mexican restaurant in bkk, but i'll have to try this new one.

Well, you would be one to tout your own restaurant!!! And, you know I come by every time I am in Hua Hin. I disagree that La Monita is the best in Bangkok. There are several others, and it really comes down to the dish in my opinion. El Mariachi is quite good if you are looking for a more authentic type of Mexican food rather than the more standard Tex-Mex variety of Mexican that is most often found at so-called Mexican restaurants in general.

Furthermore, my understanding is that the owner of the restaurant previously worked at La Monita. I'm sure he knows the standard of food put forth by the restaurant. With that knowledge and a background in preparation of Mexican fare, I would venture a guess that this place can produce food of the same quality of La Monita, if not better. The location on Srinakarin significantly lowers the overhead costs of running the restaurant. Ultimately, you get the same quality or better for a lower price. For the Mexican food lover, it is a win-win situation. It doesn't hurt that I live around the corner from the restaurant. I am looking forward to their buffet tomorrow which will offer new dishes that the owners are contemplating putting on the menu. There are bound to be some things there that a few of us expats haven't seen on a menu in quite some time, certainly not in Asia.

If you guys are looking for Authentic Mexican,, go to Hua Hin for the weekend and try "Margaritas". As far as I know, La Monita is the best Mexican restaurant in bkk, but i'll have to try this new one.

Well, you would be one to tout your own restaurant!!!  And, you know I come by every time I am in Hua Hin.  I disagree that La Monita is the best in Bangkok.  There are several others, and it really comes down to the dish in my opinion.  El Mariachi is quite good if you are looking for a more authentic type of Mexican food rather than the more standard Tex-Mex variety of Mexican that is most often found at so-called Mexican restaurants in general. 

Furthermore, my understanding is that the owner of the restaurant previously worked at La Monita.  I'm sure he knows the standard of food put forth by the restaurant.  With that knowledge and a background in preparation of Mexican fare, I would venture a guess that this place can produce food of the same quality of La Monita, if not better.  The location on Srinakarin significantly lowers the overhead costs of running the restaurant.  Ultimately, you get the same quality or better for a lower price.  For the Mexican food lover, it is a win-win situation.  It doesn't hurt that I live around the corner from the restaurant.  I am looking forward to their buffet tomorrow which will offer new dishes that the owners are contemplating putting on the menu.  There are bound to be some things there that a few of us expats haven't seen on a menu in quite some time, certainly not in Asia.

Perhaps you would care to name the "several others" so we can all enjoy better Mexican food than served at La Monita. :)

Perhaps you would care to name the "several others" so we can all enjoy better Mexican food than served at La Monita. smile.png

The one mentioned in this thread. I find El Diablo to have the best tacos around. I also eat at It really depends on the dish you eat. Is Tacos and Salsa still open?

Perhaps you would care to name the "several others" so we can all enjoy better Mexican food than served at La Monita. smile.png

The one mentioned in this thread. I find El Diablo to have the best tacos around. I also eat at It really depends on the dish you eat. Is Tacos and Salsa still open?

I avoid this place like the plague. I ve eaten at both the Chiang Mai and Bangkok branches and the food is very subpar. The bangkok branch is run a little better than the CM branch as the one up North is a dirty little place and is notorious for giving customers a new religious idol in the form of a porcelein god.

Everyone has their tastes I guess but I personally would never recommend El Diablo to anyone.

Perhaps you would care to name the "several others" so we can all enjoy better Mexican food than served at La Monita. Posted Image

The one mentioned in this thread.  I find El Diablo to have the best tacos around.  I also eat at It really depends on the dish you eat.  Is Tacos and Salsa still open?

I avoid this place like the plague. I ve eaten at both the Chiang Mai and Bangkok branches and the food is very subpar. The bangkok branch is run a little better than the CM branch as the one up North is a dirty little place and is notorious for giving customers a new religious idol in the form of a porcelein god.

Everyone has their tastes I guess but I personally would never recommend El Diablo to anyone.

Well I have eaten at El Diablo and I am a tacos lover as well.

It was nothing special to me but as others have criticised La Monita's food perhaps I missed the two or three dishes the place does really well.

El Mariachi is on my liat....Tacos and Salsa is still open and has a different style for sure and is decent....but best tacos in town for me is still La Monita.

I'm glad you changed La Monitas, from the best Mexican food to the best Cal-Mex food, I have tried many so called Mexican restaurants in Thailand in my 13 years here and have found none that is half way decent, when I lived in Pattaya, I heard every one talking about the great Mexican food at Tequila Reef, what a waste of money, the food was very expensive and I could not even eat it left the complete plate almost untouched. There is one positive thing I can say about them, the serving were large portions, I never ate at Monitas, as my brother that likes Tex Mex and Cal Mex food told me do not waste your money, so I never went..

As another poster stated, He makes his own Mexican food at home so do we, We grow our own corn, Nixtamalize it to make corn tortillas, Tamales, enchiladas Chatas, Posole and menudo. Also our own homemade Chorizo, Carnitas, Barbacoa the works. My Thai wife make my flour Tortillas, and Frijoles refritos every day.

I am trying to grow Tomato's, Tomatillo's, Habanero, serrano, and jalapeno's.

Great eating!

Cheers:smile.png

Edited by kikoman

Perhaps you would care to name the "several others" so we can all enjoy better Mexican food than served at La Monita.

I think that the "burritos" taste good, but they do not taste like authentic Mexican food of any variety. I think of what I am eating as a bean and cheese wrap covered with sour cream and I really enjoy it. smile.png

I have tried many so called Mexican restaurants in Thailand in my 13 years here and have found none that is half way decent, when I lived in Pattaya, I heard every one talking about the great Mexican food at Tequila Reef, what a waste of money, the food was very expensive and I could not even eat it left the complete plate almost untouched.

I had the same thing happen with Tequila Reef. It looks fine, but does not taste like Mexican food. My theory is that it was good when one of the original owners was there, but after he left it went downhill. He has run a bunch of restaurants that got rave reviews when he owned them and then got bad reveiews after he left.

He ran a Mexican place in Bangkok until fairly recently, but he had the bad luck to open it at the same time as La Monita and Tacos and Salsa and there was too much competion. It was in a bad location with a really high rent, so he had to close it eventually.

I'm glad you changed La Monitas, from the best Mexican food to the best Cal-Mex food, I have tried many so called Mexican restaurants in Thailand in my 13 years here and have found none that is half way decent, when I lived in Pattaya, I heard every one talking about the great Mexican food at Tequila Reef, what a waste of money, the food was very expensive and I could not even eat it left the complete plate almost untouched. There is one positive thing I can say about them, the serving were large portions, I never ate at Monitas, as my brother that likes Tex Mex and Cal Mex food told me do not waste your money, so I never went..

As another poster stated, He makes his own Mexican food at home so do we, We grow our own corn, Nixtamalize it to make corn tortillas, Tamales, enchiladas Chatas, Posole and menudo. Also our own homemade Chorizo, Carnitas, Barbacoa the works. My Thai wife make my flour Tortillas, and Frijoles refritos every day.

I am trying to grow Tomato's, Tomatillo's, Habanero, serrano, and jalapeno's.

Great eating!

Cheers:smile.png

Please move to Pattaya and open a restaurant! You'll get so rich.