Why do Thai people always think a farang wants a Thai girlfriend?

michaeltheR

On 29/10/2556 at 12:13 AM, AYJAYDEE said:

you consider dark skinned thai girls ugly??

I personally like dark skinned Thai girls, to me they are natural, I think a Thai girl who has whitened her skin looks like Coco the clown, to my eyes they look ridiculous to the point of being ugly.  In the UK girls spend thousands of pounds to get a tan, 100,000 to 300,000 baht. to get what a Thai girl is trying to lose.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2018 at 9:27 AM, Thaimike370 said:

I personally like dark skinned Thai girls, to me they are natural, I think a Thai girl who has whitened her skin looks like Coco the clown, to my eyes they look ridiculous to the point of being ugly.  In the UK girls spend thousands of pounds to get a tan, 100,000 to 300,000 baht. to get what a Thai girl is trying to lose.

Women..

• 1 month later...

The average, normal Thai people dont! They live a very happy normal family life.

Its just the people you 'associate' with.

Please do not generalize.

I understand the guy who reports his own experience in order to fight an unfair stereotype, like when a bar-scene couple settles down to a happy domestic life in defiance of the trend. He has every right to set the record straight. What makes no sense to me is the guy who makes categorical statements about others' experience, based on no knowledge whatsoever. Some of the claims here--that ordinary Thai women don't date or marry foreigners, that young, educated people don't seek partners with similar backgrounds, that any woman with a foreigner is "low class" by definition, or that "western women" are obviously unappealing-- are plainly false. Attitudes like these tell more about the man than the women in question. 

It's like the flat-earth thread elsewhere in this subforum: because the belief is absurd, our interest turns to the mere existence of such foolery and the fools who espouse it. How can such idiocy persist against fact and reason?  What kind of person looks out at the world, purposely overlooks and disregards the facts he doesn't like-- and here we are talking about the undeniable facts of others' lives-- then struts and crows his crude misconceptions all around the barnyard like a feeble-minded cockerel? 

21 hours ago, Puwa said:

I understand the guy who reports his own experience in order to fight an unfair stereotype, like when a bar-scene couple settles down to a happy domestic life in defiance of the trend. He has every right to set the record straight. What makes no sense to me is the guy who makes categorical statements about others' experience, based on no knowledge whatsoever. Some of the claims here--that ordinary Thai women don't date or marry foreigners, that young, educated people don't seek partners with similar backgrounds, that any woman with a foreigner is "low class" by definition, or that "western women" are obviously unappealing-- are plainly false. Attitudes like these tell more about the man than the women in question.

Interesting.  You do realize that people stereotype all the time, especially on these boards.  Whether it's about Thai driving, or Thai women, or Thais in general.  Heck, I see stereotypes about Americans, Africans, Muslims, etc., as well.  It's normal human behavior and yes, it can be annoying.  And true, some comments can say more about the poster than what they're posting about. 

So let me ask you this: If, say, 80% of farang/Thai BG relationships ultimately fail, would that make it an "unfair stereotype?" 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Interesting.  You do realize that people stereotype all the time, especially on these boards.  Whether it's about Thai driving, or Thai women, or Thais in general.  Heck, I see stereotypes about Americans, Africans, Muslims, etc., as well.  It's normal human behavior and yes, it can be annoying.  And true, some comments can say more about the poster than what they're posting about. 

So let me ask you this: If, say, 80% of farang/Thai BG relationships ultimately fail, would that make it an "unfair stereotype?" 

Well, first I'd say it's a made-up statistic; it's an opinion dressed up with numbers to look credible. Maybe true, maybe not, but I am suspicious of anything presented as fact (or statistic) without basis. But even fake statistics can raise interesting questions. If a man has four girlfriends before he finds the love of his life with #5, does that mean 80% have failed? In that sense, most all relationships fail, don't they? So it seems that 80% is not only a fake stat but a shallow one. Anyway, to answer your question, yes people stereotype all day long. My post was not about stereotyping per se, but the odd situation where one favors the baseless stereotype over evidence to the contrary staring him in the face. 

Edited by Puwa

14 hours ago, Puwa said:

Well, first I'd say it's a made-up statistic; it's an opinion dressed up with numbers to look credible. Maybe true, maybe not, but I am suspicious of anything presented as fact (or statistic) without basis. But even fake statistics can raise interesting questions. If a man has four girlfriends before he finds the love of his life with #5, does that mean 80% have failed? In that sense, most all relationships fail, don't they? So it seems that 80% is not only a fake stat but a shallow one. Anyway, to answer your question, yes people stereotype all day long. My post was not about stereotyping per se, but the odd situation where one favors the baseless stereotype over evidence to the contrary staring him in the face. 

The 80% is anecdotal, i.e., not backed-up by peer-reviewed research.  But I believe that number is close, which justifies me encouraging visiting friends from the US to not go down that path.  Sometimes we have to rely on stereotypes to make life decisions.  Heck, you can tell people until you're blue in the face that they will not win the lottery.  But they'll still buy the ticket and they still might actually win.  As for your last sentence, "where one favors the baseless stereotype over evidence to the contrary staring him in the face...", yes, I see that as well.  All the time...especially on these TV boards.  

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Puwa said:

If a man has four girlfriends before he finds the love of his life with #5, does that mean 80% have failed?

When I were a lad, you married and lived your entire live with the first virgin you entered. So I would need to know if any of the first 4 girlfriends were virgins before I could judge. It was totally accepted that the 'school bikes' were free for all to ride with no judgement or consequences. In later life widows had a free pass as marriage material.

I think most men still abide by those rules, but there seems a distinct lack of virgins around these days, so modern marriage and relationships are probably doomed to failure.

Edited by BritManToo

• 2 months later...

Because sex tourists, sexpats, and wife hunters are disproportionately represented among Western men in Thailand. They form a small percentage of the general population in Western countries, but Thais do not see this general Farang population.

Similarly, why do Europeans always think that Thai women in their countries come from massage parlors and go-go bars? Because they are disproportionately represented among Thais in Europe, even though most Thais have never worked in massage parlors and go-go bars.

Stereotypes go both ways.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2018 at 4:57 AM, Thaimike370 said:

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.