Russian Biker seriously hurt as he falls from Highway 7 ramp in North Pattaya

webfact

The twist'n go's as you call them are no safer than a superbike when in the hands of an inexperienced (and in this case probably nil-experienced) rider. You're riding on the same piece of road surface and the road surface or the wall/car/pole you hit doesn't care how big the bike was. An analogy would be that a .22 cal. pistol is no safer in the hands of a three year old than a .44 magnum.

The only saving grace of a scooter is that the acceleration is nothing like as powerful as a sportsbike. But once you're past 50klm/h, hitting an immovable object will have the same overall effect.

Sorry that's rubbish with all due respect. A 500 with gears,clutch 0-60 in seconds takes time to train to ride, a twist and go is a case of jumping on and slowly going on your way. I agree neither bike should be rented out as they are both dangerous but these big bikes are too powerful for kids.

Too young to be riding modern 500's--- specially if never ridden a bike before. I wonder if producing a motor bike license from back home would help to save the lives of some of these farang who think its such an exciting joy ride to jump on a big bike

The Russian is really lucky to be alive after a stunt like that.

The bike must be totaled, I think a Honda 500 cost about 220K baht new, which he will have to pay off-course plus medical bills, ouch.

Yes a 15 year old kid don't belong on a 500cc bike out on the road, when I was his age I was trying hard to tune my 1hp 50cc moped to go over 80 km/h and I eventually did and that was great fun.

I checked my travel insurance the other day, you are only covered if 50cc perhaps 125cc but no chance with a 500cc. Having a car driving licence might allow you to ride a 50cc or 125cc I can't remember the small print.

If you don't have a motorbike license from the country you are from, or from the country you hire the bike, your insurance will not cover you, you are not covered on a car license.

If you have a license in the country you are from or obtain a license in Thailand, you are not covered on your travel insurance for any motorbike over 200cc.

If you have an accident and are not obeying the laws in that country, ie not wear a helmet, not obey signs etc, you are at fault or caused the accident, you are not covered.

If you doubt any of this, look up your travel insurance policy or your credit card travel insurance policy. Don't take the risk, it is very expensive.