Four deaths in Thai train-truck crash

webfact

So... If and when they get this high speed rail link done, do you think anyone is going to have the balls to step onto it?

How long before a train smashes into a vehicle at high speed? I have a feeling this planned trans-international rail system is going to find its weakest link in Thailand.

Wow, many of you people think that accidents only happen in Thailand, really ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_level_crossing_accidents

Those are accidents only of a certain type.

According to your source Thailand has only ever had 2 train accidents....EVER.... They have had more than that in the past 6 weeks.

US Stats: 2012 there were 1967 collisions at rail crossings resulting in 273 fatalities.

Thailand has some pretty hopeless road safety stats, but when it comes to daft folk not looking while driving across the tracks I suspect the US takes the biscuit - This is not a major issue in Thailand - The rail crossings are generally safe here (or there is very little incident reported).

Edit: Source Added: http://oli.org/about-us/news/collisions-casulties

Edited by richard_smith237

So... If and when they get this high speed rail link done, do you think anyone is going to have the balls to step onto it?

How long before a train smashes into a vehicle at high speed? I have a feeling this planned trans-international rail system is going to find its weakest link in Thailand.

The HS rail system (if it is ever built) should be built with complete grade separation from other traffic by using underpass/overpass/bridges etc. There will be no level crossings, in theory, anyway..wink.png

But there's always the possibility of dogs and stupid people wishing to end their lives quickly by walking on or crossing the right of way.

That is why it is so called, because trains have the right of way.

• Like 1

The HS rail system (if it is ever built) should be built with complete grade separation from other traffic by using underpass/overpass/bridges etc. There will be no level crossings, in theory, anyway..wink.png

But there's always the possibility of dogs and stupid people wishing to end their lives quickly by walking on or crossing the right of way.

I agree up to a point, but this is Thailand remember and that train needs to speed through the land, and Thai people in the country don't normally observe roadways as the only way of getting from A to B. Not to mention cows grazing while the herder is asleep under a tree. The authorities can't exactly fence off 2000KM of track on both sides.

I am going to just sit and wait for the first accident, if only to see why it was caused, but it won't change people. Here they take all manner of risks in the name of 'convenience'. Just look how it is on the roads. They won't go out of their way if they can find a quicker and more dangerous route.

I have seen a woman with three kids bolt across the busy motorway literally 10 meters away from a foot bridge. I am sure you have all seen it.

Another sad example of the poor driving skills and knowledge here. You see them driving everyday down the wrong side of the road because they are too lazy to take 5 minutes and drive on the correct side of the road. It is just an extension of this mentality. The Thai Truck said to the Thai Train, I got here first, you wait for me. OPPS! Why no stop? whistling.gif

I believe, very sadly (and I do like Thai people, before you accuse me of 'Thai bashing'), that his is a perfect analysis of 99% of Thai 'thinking' - or the pathetic lack of it!. The whole Thai upbringing; from childhood, seems to censor any 'individual thought'; particularly, when it comes to road sense.

I love this country; but I despair about their future in the Asian/ far eastern continent and feel very sorry for those bright minds that are stultified by the 'Thai system', who will never be allowed to shine and develop!

• Like 1

rolleyes.gif A train going at speed takes some distance to stop .... even with a perfectly operating brake system.

It's called momentum and it's a fact of physics.

Bodies at rest tend to stay at rest, and those in motion tend to stay in motion.

Nature does not give a free pass to those who don't know it's rules and try to ignore them.

Never the less, I do feel sorry for them.

a train in thailand moving at speed ?........they are lucky if they get to 70 kmh ,.....my money is on the driver sleeping , a train doing 70 kmh should have time to stop or slow down to 10-20 kmh if the driver was alert and doing their job IMO .

You will see the somtam sellers of BKK practicing pushing their barrows at high speed right now in order to sell to the new high-speed rail passengers ,..............never miss a trick !

rolleyes.gif A train going at speed takes some distance to stop .... even with a perfectly operating brake system.

Bodies at rest tend to stay at rest, and those in motion tend to stay in motion.

Nature does not give a free pass to those who don't know it's rules and try to ignore them.

a train in thailand moving at speed ?........they are lucky if they get to 70 kmh ,.....my money is on the driver sleeping , a train doing 70 kmh should have time to stop or slow down to 10-20 kmh if the driver was alert and doing their job IMO .

Leave the train driver alone and take another look at the post that you answered.My money is on the driver of the vehicle crossing when it wasn't safe to do so.

This unfortunate incident is a replica of one that happened near our home during the past year.

• Like 1

Just shows how much you know about railway operation and responsibilities. The train in question was a "Sprinter", a fast, usually 3 car diesel railcar unit, probably travelling in excess of 70km/h.

The driver of the pickup failed to exercise commonsense, caution and responsibility to protect his family.

Trains have the right of way. No point in arguing with a train because usually you die. He did.

Edited by ratcatcher

Another sad example of the poor driving skills and knowledge here. You see them driving everyday down the wrong side of the road because they are too lazy to take 5 minutes and drive on the correct side of the road. It is just an extension of this mentality. The Thai Truck said to the Thai Train, I got here first, you wait for me. OPPS! Why no stop? whistling.gif

I believe, very sadly (and I do like Thai people, before you accuse me of 'Thai bashing'), that his is a perfect analysis of 99% of Thai 'thinking' - or the pathetic lack of it!. The whole Thai upbringing; from childhood, seems to censor any 'individual thought'; particularly, when it comes to road sense.

I love this country; but I despair about their future in the Asian/ far eastern continent and feel very sorry for those bright minds that are stultified by the 'Thai system', who will never be allowed to shine and develop!

It was an accident, they happen all over the world, accidents are not a Thai phenomena.

Do Thai equipment operators imbibe and take drugs in to their system?

Yes.

Are the laws regarding this behavior moderated and strictly enforced?

No.

Do the Thais, who break these laws give a dam_n about Thai laws, or are they even aware of them?

Doubtful; and morover... No!

Do Thais drive drunk; especially after festivals?

Yes.

Are the laws regarding this behavior moderated and strictly enforced?

No.

Do the Thais, who break these laws give a dam_n about Thai laws, or are they even aware of them?

Doubtful.

Are we all aware of Thai driving habits and utter failure to engage in logic when driving, as well as their utter disregard for other human being in their surrounding environment, much less small children under their care and being subjected to lunatic behavior and indoctrination?

Yes. But we have no affect on this lunatic behavior other than being used as a method or means to further the perpetuation of said lunatic behavior.

-----------------------------------

My sympathy only goes as far as it takes to realize the utter lunacy of these people, and then it immedtiately ends there.

Translated: I had a flicker of sympathy, and now it is gone forever, and I do not feel one gram of it in my system.

In the the time it took to type this, several more lunatics have killed themselves in acts of lunacy.

• Like 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

1,240,000 road deaths worldwide in 2010, they certainly are not all Thai, lets have some balance here.

I am quite sure many westerners drink and drive, speed, ride bikes with no helmet ,drive wreckless etc etc in Thailand too don't you think ?

And well over a Million Americans are arrested for DUI every year, over 30,000 will die this year on the roads, even with all the laws, the fines, the imprisonments, the harsh policing, they WILL still happen

Do some internet searches for these things, don't be blinded by your disdain for Thai people and your own ill founded superiority complexes , be realistic, yes, these things happen in Thailand, but lets be real, they also happen elsewhere too.

Peace.

1,240,000 road deaths worldwide in 2010, they certainly are not all Thai, lets have some balance here.

I am quite sure many westerners drink and drive, speed, ride bikes with no helmet ,drive wreckless etc etc in Thailand too don't you think ?

And well over a Million Americans are arrested for DUI every year, over 30,000 will die this year on the roads, even with all the laws, the fines, the imprisonments, the harsh policing, they WILL still happen

Do some internet searches for these things, don't be blinded by your disdain for Thai people and your own ill founded superiority complexes , be realistic, yes, these things happen in Thailand, but lets be real, they also happen elsewhere too.

Peace.

Great argument now look who is the world record holder for deaths per % of population etc and take those gawwwwwwwdamn awful coloured glasses off

Peace.

Thailand figures are heavily manipulated also but currently 4th in this table ..whats that I see 38 deaths per 100k population?? and America only 11??? nah must be lies, go to the Uk only 2.7 per 100k...........Ok so we have established Thailand is now all rosey and safe hoorah Im off out on a blind drunken roadtrip, thanks for opening my eyes.

Edited by kannot

Peace.

Great argument now look who is the world record holder for deaths per % of population etc and take those gawwwwwwwdamn awful coloured glasses off

It isn't an argument as far as I'm concerned because I'm being factual, you're looking at it with a Westerner is right, Thai is wrong attitude, therefore you are blinkered by your ill founded superiority complex, I'm trying to be balanced, you're not.

You have to understand and be realistic, how many people die on motorcycles in Thailand ? A huge percentage of the population ride motorcycles and they are very dangerous to life when involved in an accident, now if your home country had the same percentage of motorcycle riders as they do in Thailand, your home countries death rates would be very high also, capiche ?

Or are you so delusional that you really do believe Westerners are somehow superior ? Facts would say otherwise.

I know this is the famous ThaiVisa, but just try to be balanced, I know accidents happen in Thailand but I also know they happen everywhere else too.

Do you think Westerners in Thailand don't drink and drive, they do in their own countries, so they certainly do in Thailand wouldn't you say ?

It's you my friend who has tinted glasses, not I.

A fast train (Thai standard) sprinter, approached an intersection and collided with a vehicle. We all know that the train has right of way. BUT no gate or barrier at the point ???? ALL roads crossing rail should have at least a barrier. <deleted>