bathroom walls paint?

reflectionx

Does anyone have any suggestions for bathroom walls paint? I hate the old style bathrooms that are 100% tiled, so I designed mine to be 30% tiled (around shower and bum gun lol) and 70 % paint. However, the sellers at all paint shops I've been to don't seem to have any clues as they have never been asked that before.

I think I lean toward the TOA "7 in 1" as it claims to have good water resistance and fungus/mold killing agent. Plan to use 1 layer of Alkali resisting primer + 1 coat of paint (white).

Any thoughts?

I can not help but seriously believe you are making a mistake. I do not consider tile old fashioned but perhaps that is because I am old.whistling.gif

Suspect you will have serious mold issues with any paint in such a setting and as tile is so inexpensive here can not see a reason not to use it. Then a cleaning can be a hose down affair.

• Like 1

I can not help but seriously believe you are making a mistake. I do not consider tile old fashioned but perhaps that is because I am old.whistling.gif

Suspect you will have serious mold issues with any paint in such a setting and as tile is so inexpensive here can not see a reason not to use it. Then a cleaning can be a hose down affair.

Thanks, my reasons are purely aesthetic. As I said, I will tile every section that might come in contact with water. But I dislike tile use to cover all the walls, especially where not needed. I plan to use proper waterproofing and have ventilation.

If mold was an issue for the walls, than it would be for the ceiling as well, no?

What's old fashioned about using some nice 60x30cm tiles with 1mm grout lines?

if you really just don't want tile walls, maybe just install full-wall mirrors instead so it all remains cleanable? :P

No suggestions on paint that will stand up to shower steam in the long term.

What's old fashioned about using some nice 60x30cm tiles with 1mm grout lines?

if you really just don't want tile walls, maybe just install full-wall mirrors instead so it all remains cleanable? tongue.png

No suggestions on paint that will stand up to shower steam in the long term.

Well, I am not sure if suitable paint is available in Thailand (that's why I am asking for help here), but painted walls are standard practice in North America. Why would you want to wash the wall 1 meter above the toilet? If you do, then you have issues other than cleaning the wall to worry about giggle.gif

That's what I use for the section with tiles around the shower - 12x24" with 2mm joints. But, I prefer the modern, slick look :

bathroom-ideas.jpg

over the more traditional:

Bathroom-Tile-Design-Ideas-Images-615x55

I tiled my bathrooms nine 20cm tiles high, 180 cm, the walls above are rendered concrete and painted with the same water based paint that the rest of the house is painted with, Captain Vinyl Silk Acrylic Emulsion. It's been there for 14 tears, never repainted, easy to clean, no mold problem and still looks good.

Edited by wayned
  • Like 2

Shouldn't you use enamel for something like this? I have been wanting to paint my bathroom door with a waterproof, glossy finish (as opposed the the crapy, dull, water absorbing paint on there now), and have been thinking enamel is what I want?

Do you mean oil-based paint? The term enamel is used for variety of products nowadays. Waterborne acrylic should be ok, I just need to decide between the Beger and TOA. They seem pretty similar, and are priced similarly. Beger uses Teflon (they claim that they are the only company licensed to use it), whereas TOA use their own stuff. They both claim to be 100% acrylic.

However, Beger claim that the moisture resistance comes from the Teflon technology. But the Dupont and another Beger site claim that it only help with stains:

http://www2.dupont.com/Teflon/en_US/products/paint/surface_protector.html

http://crownpaints.co.ke/blog/2012/04/11/what-is-teflon-%C2%AE-surface-protector/

I think I lean toward TOA ...

Well, that's not the only way to do 'modern style' but by all means, go for it smile.png

http://www.google.co.th/search?q=modern+bathroom&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=JKhvUteFKMinrgeAgYF4&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=661

You will rarely see one that has its walls fully tiled wink.png

OK, Most of these come from your own link smile.png

Modern-Black-and-white-rubber-flooring-f

modern-black-and-white-patterns-decorati

black-and-white-modern-bathroom.jpg

smooth-modest-and-fabulous-design-for-ba

Amazing-White-Tub-Black-Dark-Interior-Mo

You don't need to exclude tiles to make something that fits the description 'Modern Bathroom'... that's more about colors, patterns and fittings, than the materials used.

Nothing wrong with what you want to do, just sayin' :)

Edited by IMHO

during the last 25 years i built 5 homes. 3 for me, 2 for my friends. except for the showers no tiles on any wall except a row around the bath tub. all homes in tropical countries, never had any mold problem.

when i see tiled bathrooms i think of slaughter houses or morgues.

gb1.JPG

wb1.JPG

gt.JPGmb1.JPG

mb3.JPG

mb2.JPG

An I think of wallboard construction and high cost of tile work in western countries - to me tiled bath is normal clean (bloodless) - the opposite of your thinking.smile.png And that goes back to the 50's when our bath was done in plastic tiles and adhesive. Can agree that is out of date - but believe tiled bath is the logical design here for cost/ease of maintenance. And we did have a painted wall bath (above mid wall) and did not like it (especially the Thai half) so has been changed. Tile survives water/oil/food fights and flooding better than any paint.

An I think of wallboard construction and high cost of tile work in western countries - to me tiled bath is normal clean (bloodless) - the opposite of your thinking.smile.png And that goes back to the 50's when our bath was done in plastic tiles and adhesive. Can agree that is out of date - but believe tiled bath is the logical design here for cost/ease of maintenance. And we did have a painted wall bath (above mid wall) and did not like it (especially the Thai half) so has been changed. Tile survives water/oil/food fights and flooding better than any paint.

Food fight in the bathroom? I hope you are not referring to "processed food" fight, that would be nasty cheesy.gif

I just like the painted walls, so I will do it. If the result is not good, I can always put tiles later on.

Still can't make up my mind. TOA seems to have better composition, but BEGER is low-VOC (less smell and safer). So might end up going with BEGER.

EDIT:

Low-VOC might be just a gimmick from BEGER. All Latex paint are lowVOC when compared to oil based. Will have wifey call TOA and BEGER to get the exact composition.

Edited by reflectionx

Believe the better versions of TOA (as you mentioned earlier) should be fine. I preferred ICI paints but that dates from before the better Japanese formulas were available here and TOA was just the low priced spread.

The only time I have used the other brand was for urethane finish and vapor became a problem for me.

Believe the better versions of TOA (as you mentioned earlier) should be fine. I preferred ICI paints but that dates from before the better Japanese formulas were available here and TOA was just the low priced spread.

The only time I have used the other brand was for urethane finish and vapor became a problem for me.

I have the ICI Dulux easy care throughout my house and very happy with it. They claim that it can be cleaned 3000 times without removing the color.

I think a recent report about lead content in paints in Thailand also showed that Dulux was the only paint that lead contents below the legal limits.

Wifey talked to TOA hotline, they were helpful (compared to BEGER). They recommended Extrashield (it also uses TEFLON) as it is waterproof on the outside, but breathable at the same time to allow the humidity out from the walls. They also sent me the test reports from TISTR, and it has extremely low VOC - about 1 gram per litre. It's also lead and mercury free, so I think I will opt for this one.

Shouldn't you use enamel for something like this? I have been wanting to paint my bathroom door with a waterproof, glossy finish (as opposed the the crapy, dull, water absorbing paint on there now), and have been thinking enamel is what I want?

Do you mean oil-based paint? The term enamel is used for variety of products nowadays. Waterborne acrylic should be ok, I just need to decide between the Beger and TOA. They seem pretty similar, and are priced similarly. Beger uses Teflon (they claim that they are the only company licensed to use it), whereas TOA use their own stuff. They both claim to be 100% acrylic.

However, Beger claim that the moisture resistance comes from the Teflon technology. But the Dupont and another Beger site claim that it only help with stains:

http://www2.dupont.com/Teflon/en_US/products/paint/surface_protector.html

http://crownpaints.co.ke/blog/2012/04/11/what-is-teflon-%C2%AE-surface-protector/

I think I lean toward TOA ...

Yeah, I believe I got that mixed up. This thread has helped me too.

there was indeed an incident when everybody wished that the guest bathroom was a Thai style bathroom, fully tiled, floor recessed and a floor drain installed. one of our overnight guests had for the first time a huge amount of extremely spicy Thai food. in the middle of the night she did not make it all the way to the toilet bowl sad.png

I Understand that this is not a thread on the merits or shortcomings of tile vs paint, and I apologize to the OP for nor having not being able to help with a paint choice, I am sure a mold resistant washable TOA paint will be fine.

This is my opinion on the great "Tile vs Paint" debate.

Tile only portion or tile the whole bathroom? in my opinion is a matter of personal preference. While a fully tiled bathroom might be more impervious to moisture, it is also not easy to re-decorate when tastes change.

With a painted bathroom , a simple pain job and you have a, at least as far as decorating is concerned, an up to date bathroom, where it is not easy to change tile that might go out of style.

Proper ventilation and paint choice would address the moisture/mold concern, in addition to a window,an extraction fan with a switch next to the light switch so that is easily accessible , will not only remove excess moisture after a shower but also remove unpleasant odors after the unfortunate meal at the street food stalltongue.png

A mold resistant paint with a ,at the very least, slight sheen,and mold resistance would help prevent mold from forming , The gloss surface will prevent moisture from being absorbed by the surface, where the mold resistant additive will make the paint a toxic environment for the mold to propagate .

there was indeed an incident when everybody wished that the guest bathroom was a Thai style bathroom, fully tiled, floor recessed and a floor drain installed. one of our overnight guests had for the first time a huge amount of extremely spicy Thai food. in the middle of the night she did not make it all the way to the toilet bowl sad.png

I remember a similar incident when i was still very young and living with my parents. A guest, also a child went to the bathroom for a similar emergency and didn't find the light switch.

She mistook the bidet for the toilet w00t.gif

Edited by jbrain

in the middle of the night.....

That was my food fight meaning. Actually with a window and exhaust fan (which I have and fully support) the bath is still going to be humid as this is a very humid country most of the year - it is not just a hot water issue here. No way would I want air conditioning as still cringe at memories of winter baths in New England.

in the middle of the night.....

That was my food fight meaning. Actually with a window and exhaust fan (which I have and fully support) the bath is still going to be humid as this is a very humid country most of the year - it is not just a hot water issue here. No way would I want air conditioning as still cringe at memories of winter baths in New England.

So will be every other room that is not airconed. Nowadays, there are tons of paints that are suited for the every climate. My quest was to find the one that would do the best job based on features and safety. I've settled for the Extrashield based on:

- 100% acrylic

- water repellent

- breathable (to let the moisture out from the concrete)

- anti-bacterial

- zero VOC

- no lead/mercury

Time will show if this was the right choice thumbsup.gif