Is IELTS popular in Thailand?

Madgee

After spending over 4 years in S-China within a well-known university institution teaching and advising on the speaking element of IELTS , which is extremely popular throughout China, I’ve now re-located to central Isaan to be with my beloved. I have only been in LOS a few months and already discovered by talking to some teachers in my area, they have no idea what I’m talking about concerning IELTS.

On a brief visit to Bangkok, I did bump into a guy who informed me that there were many institutions that used the fundamentals of the IELTS for general English study and of course for the actual test, but I’m surprised there are no institutions in my area. Maybe I’m wrong?

As these tests are world renowned and the leader in their field for students who wish to study abroad or even mature people that have to obtain a language certificate to immigrate, it really does surprise me that many teachers have no knowledge of what IELTS is or indeed the beneficial value to students, whether it be for the test or just for conversational / general English.

IELTS is not really suitable for children under the age of 16 or classes of 35+ students so maybe that is the governing factor in Thailand?

On a previous topic in this forum a poster did mention that IELTS is very popular but I presume that it is only in major cities and many students presumably re-locate to these areas for study?

I would really love to get back into teaching, advising or using IELTS but I think I’m flogging a dead horse in my present location ….Oh well. beatdeadhorse.gif

IELTS is really only of interest to people wanting to study an English language programme at university in Thailand or want to study for a degree abroad. Consequently, there wouldn't be much demand in outside the major population centres. And yes, students do relocate to larger cities to study for IELTS.

As AyG has stated, it's of interest to folk wanting to study abroad. Most if not all Australian and NZ universities will only accept IELTS results.

I reluctantly had to teach TOEFL some years ago, but it was very centred on the USA, and my Indonesian graduates were only interested in nearby countries to study.

Sadly, I have met Thai nationals who teach English, and they'd be hard pushed to do the course.

Test prep is popular and at most language academies they offer these courses. I typically find these courses are usually taken when the student actually needs to actually improve their basic skills. TOEFL and TOEIC are both designed as an assement for one's ability in English. Taking a study course in one is relatively the same as the other. The differences in the tests are organizational and can be taught in a quick seminar. Once a student has a certain ability in the language they would be able to pass either test.

IELTS is popular in Thailand and even more so than TOEFL because many of the students in Thailand that want to study abroad are chosing Australia, but even those those choosing the US can take the IELTS also. Many US schools are now accepting IELTS scores. the local universities and start a program. Try and build a relationship with then, but you will need qualifications to imempress.

IELTS is currently extremely popular in Thailand. IDP and The British Council both run tests weekly, sometimes twice weekly, and they are heavily subscribed. Many students travel from Australia (normally Filipinos), Arab countries and other SE Asian countries. Bangkok is full of IELTS test preparation centres - some good, some not so good! Tests are also held regularly in Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Hat Yai and, less regularly Phuket. I would imagine that there must be demand for IELTS preparation classes in those areas.

Sadly, I have met Thai nationals who teach English, and they'd be hard pushed to do the course.

Sadly, I've met many farang who teach English here who'd be hard pushed to do the course, too.

It's not a course. It's a test of English language competency. You receive a band score from 1 to 9 for Speaking, Reading, Writing and Listening skills.

I teach IELTS and it is popular even in a small isaan town (Phon Phisai) - granted mainly with the Thai Chinese as they are the ones that can afford to pay

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Thai-Chinese tend to understand the importance of education. Many Thai-Thais care little as they tend to live day-to-day and their ambitions stretch only as far as the latest i-phone and who can sponsor their lives. There are exceptions of course.

"Thai-Chinese tend to understand the importance of education. Many Thai-Thais..."

Pretty bold claim.

Keep up the racist vitriol.

Since most Thai Chinese are probably less than 25% chinese, kind of stupid statement.

"Thai-Chinese tend to understand the importance of education. Many Thai-Thais..."

Pretty bold claim.

Keep up the racist vitriol.

Since most Thai Chinese are probably less than 25% chinese, kind of stupid statement.

Ok, if you say so.

I will tell you ,Yes IELTS is popular in Bangkok ,I teach preparation for the exam at a language centre.One other tip,Dont take a course at the British Council.an overpriced non entity.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I will tell you ,Yes IELTS is popular in Bangkok ,I teach preparation for the exam at a language centre.One other tip,Dont take a course at the British Council.an overpriced non entity.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would concede that their IELTS prep courses are often led by examiners who know their stuff. However, their trainers/teachers are usually culturally arrogant and ignorant which alienates some students/customers. BC's marketing revolves around the idea that they are 'The British Council'.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

During my first two years of job fishing, I was never once asked if I could teach IELTS. However, I was asked at almost every interview if I could prep students for the TOEIC. So based on my small sample size (perhaps three dozen schools/agencies), I'd say no. But I see different experiences upthread, so who knows for sure?

TOEIC is aimed at those interested in generic certification (graduates who will stay in Thailand and only want to show an English cert to potential employers), while IELTS is more for the aspiring international university student. Obviously, the former group vastly outnumbers the later. That's what I base my 'TOEIC is more popular' statement on. In my school, students who are in the English Diploma program must pass TOEIC with at least a 300 (possible range: 10-990). It's a graduation requirement.

During my first two years of job fishing, I was never once asked if I could teach IELTS. However, I was asked at almost every interview if I could prep students for the TOEIC. So based on my small sample size (perhaps three dozen schools/agencies), I'd say no. But I see different experiences upthread, so who knows for sure?

TOEIC is aimed at those interested in generic certification (graduates who will stay in Thailand and only want to show an English cert to potential employers), while IELTS is more for the aspiring international university student. Obviously, the former group vastly outnumbers the later. That's what I base my 'TOEIC is more popular' statement on. In my school, students who are in the English Diploma program must pass TOEIC with at least a 300 (possible range: 10-990). It's a graduation requirement.

There are two IELTS tests - the academic and the general training. General training is for immigration or employment purposes, while, as its name suggests, the academic is for university entrance. The nearest equivalent to the academic IELTS is TOEFL, while the general training is more like TOEIC.

IDP and the British Council run weekly IELTS tests in Bangkok and monthly tests in Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Hat Yai and, less frequently, Phuket.

• 2 months later...

someone can give me information about good IELTS centers in Bangkok?

As mentioned above the British Council and IDP are known to be the best places for IELTS. This whole thread has become rather unclear. The ESL market has been saturated in Thailand for a long time now but overall only a decimal point of that studies IELTS. Most courses target young learners, as I am sure you know.

As also mentioned above, IELTS is designed to prepare students for university life abroad. It is those who choose to study IELTS plus, perhaps, a few masochists. If someone can give the numbers on how many students study abroad each year in Thailand then you will have a clearer idea of how many people take the exam on a monthly basis. Such information might be available on the IELTS website though I doubt it.