Women's fashion 100 years ago.

I have seen some photos, and been told that it was once the fashion for women in Siam to only cover one breast. The most important thing was to cover at least one shoulder. My Thai friends disagree over whether this was a high class fashion or a low class fashion, but it seemed from the early photos that it was not a peasant .

Anybody have definitive info? .

• Like 1

And there was I expecting photos sad.png

I wondered how long it was going to be before someone posted a 'Photo' comment on this thread !!..

I was expecting something along the line of..."Photos or it never was the case".. !

This topic popped up a while back when the Ministry of Culture scored an own goal kicking off about a couple girl (or was it ladyboys) who were eventually charged for flashing their norks in Silom...

An interesting part of the thread was generated by someone who'd pointed out how the Ministry of Culture's web-page showed what was supposed to be a culturally representative photo of Thailand, about 100 or so years ago - It depicted Thai ladies in traditional dress, topless.

By the government of Field Marshal Plaek Pibulsonggram: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_cultural_mandates

I guess it explains some other issues as well wink.png

This does explain a lot.

So before this was the fashion the same for high society as for normal people? I heard that it was more important for "polite" women to cover at least one shoulder than it was to cover the breast.

• Like 1